BMW Streetguard 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

BMW Streetguard 2

Does anyone have the Streetguard 2 suit that rides in warmer weather with it? I have read here and heard from the dealer near me that the Streetguard 2 would be too warm to wear in hotter weather (85F and above). I only want to buy 1 set of riding gear for the rest of this season (I'm in Chicago) and I am trying to decide if I should just get a warm weather set of gear or buy something that will be able to adapt to a wider range of temps. Right now the weather is in the 90's but it won't be long and I will be riding in 40 degree temps. Too cheap (read poor) to by 2 sets in one year. Appreciate any thoughts you might have. By the way, I am fairly sure I want to only wear gear that will provide very good abrasion protection and has CE protectors.

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 1:13 pm
I'm riding

I am also interested in that suit. Wanted to buy Atlantis3 but tried it once again and thought that my Spidi leathers are still fine. No need to spend $1500.
But for the next year I will probably need to replace my Spidi touring suit - if I gain some extra weight in winter months
I believe it is fine till +20/22 C. Will look forward to your report.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Veteran

I don't think the perfect 4 season suit exists yet.

I was told the same about the 85 degree limitation as you at my dealer. They wouldn't even carry it until October when the temps begin to drop in So. Calif.

I did buy one of the Gerbing Cascade Extreme suits as it was touted as a 4 season suit. Since it is coated for rain, it too becomes a sauna at temps of 85 degrees and above. It does work well in the coldest of temps and wind as it has their heated liners as well. I use a dual temp controller with them.

The BMW Santiago is nice and breathers better than the StreetGuard 2, but you will need to order the Gore-Tex liners if you want to rain-proof it. The liners are thin and you could wear electric liners beneath them.

As nice and convenient as coated gear is, it gets very hot and clammy in stop and go summer traffic. I prefer it to move some air. For me, Gore-Tex doesn't breath all that well, but it is better than a urethane suit.

Summer I don't think you can beat a ice-pack liner like some road crews wear. The cheaper water-wetter ones make me all feel all sweaty and clammy in humid conditions. The ice packs are nicer but cost a lot more. I carry a small beer cooler and keep a spare set of packs in it that I can switch out every two hours (I leave some ice in the cooler so the removed one will cool down and freeze again).

Someday there may be a true four-season suit, but not yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:07 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I am also interested in that suit. Wanted to buy Atlantis3 but tried it once again and thought that my Spidi leathers are still fine. No need to spend $1500.
But for the next year I will probably need to replace my Spidi touring suit - if I gain some extra weight in winter months
I believe it is fine till +20/22 C. Will look forward to your report.
I was wondering if the Atlantis and the Streetguard are at about the same comfort level as far as temperatures are concerned. I do really like the idea of leather for abrasion protection. They are a bit more pricey than the Streetguard but that is to be expected for leather. Were you happy with the Spidi set? They look like a pretty good brand from their website. I am leaning toward just getting 2 sets, one for cool and one for warm. The big question is which one to buy first!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:46 am

Falconfire,

I bought the Streetguard 2 back in April, and I have been generally happy with it. Like you, I'm here in the Chicago area, and have ridden in the mid 40's and the suit was great. The recent heat and humidity have been a bit uncomfortable in the Streetguard, but by no means unbearable. The underarm vents allow pretty good airlflow at even slow speeds. In traffic or when stopped, however, the suit gets warm, but even my old Rukka mesh suit not much better. The Streetguard is much more comfortable than my Aerostitch one-piece in the heat.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably give the Comfort Shell suit another look. From what I've read, it seems to be a pretty good four-season suit (although I typically only need a three-season suit here in Chicago). For now, though, I am happy with the fit, construction and (hopefully) the protective qualities of the Streetguard. It's not cheap, but I expect it to last a long, long time.

Good luck with your decision.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:19 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

Did you buy from TAG or through another outlet? Just wondering if there is anywhere that cuts some kind of discounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc916
Falconfire,

I bought the Streetguard 2 back in April, and I have been generally happy with it. Like you, I'm here in the Chicago area, and have ridden in the mid 40's and the suit was great. The recent heat and humidity have been a bit uncomfortable in the Streetguard, but by no means unbearable. The underarm vents allow pretty good airlflow at even slow speeds. In traffic or when stopped, however, the suit gets warm, but even my old Rukka mesh suit not much better. The Streetguard is much more comfortable than my Aerostitch one-piece in the heat.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably give the Comfort Shell suit another look. From what I've read, it seems to be a pretty good four-season suit (although I typically only need a three-season suit here in Chicago). For now, though, I am happy with the fit, construction and (hopefully) the protective qualities of the Streetguard. It's not cheap, but I expect it to last a long, long time.

Good luck with your decision.

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 3:56 pm

Purchased from Tag. They didn't offer a discount and I didn't ask. But I have been treated very well by them since they opened.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfire
Did you buy from TAG or through another outlet? Just wondering if there is anywhere that cuts some kind of discounting.

Bought a R2Pro a couple months ago from Denver BMW. 20% off. They've got another sale in mid Sept. Ask for Jessica.
Regards
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 1:50 am

I just got back from a 2200-mile end-of-summer trip in my Streetguard 2 jacket (w/ Ralleye2 pants). I found that, at highway speeds, the Streetguard was comfortable up to about 95 degrees (according to the bike thermometer), with the vents open and a wicking synthetic t-shirt underneath. Above that I started to get uncomfortably warm, but I broke 100 degrees several times with no problems. I just started to feel like I was roasting in a convection oven.

Of course, as soon as I stoppped i was mighty warm at 100 degrees. But that will be true no matter what you wear. You also have to consider that this was in the west, where humidity is generally low. I wouldn't want to ride in humid midwestern summer heat in any kind of gear.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2008, 2:07 pm
I'm riding

Ken,

Did you get it ? The Streetguard2?

I started the season here with my old Spidi H2O touring suit and it's stil perfect. +7 Celcius/40 F and the liners were O.K. I did not even need to use my BMW electric heated vest.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode