Need a Helmet, Shoei or Arai? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Need a Helmet, Shoei or Arai?

I am a new BMW owner and need a helmet before I think about trying to ride it, I have a big head, I wear a 7 3/4'' fitted hat, so do I need an XL sized helmet? I know that shoei and arai are both good brands for helmets, so I would more than likely go with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2007, 1:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielocean03
I am a new BMW owner and need a helmet before I think about trying to ride it, I have a big head, I wear a 7 3/4'' fitted hat, so do I need an XL sized helmet? I know that shoei and arai are both good brands for helmets, so I would more than likely go with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Both are top-o-the-line. My advice is to got to you local shop and try them all on. Both brands make lids for several shapes of heads. I happen to have a Shoie head. I found that the X-11 was the most comfortable. Then I bought it on-line and saved myself $150.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Addict

I like the Scorpion helmet line. My research (webbikeworld) indicated that expensive helmets protect you no less than inexpensive ones. The scorpion fit me well and had a pretty good selection at the local shop. I'm sure the big two are going to work well but I chose to spend $$ on farkles rather than the helmets. i think it's largely personal preference and fit so find one that fits your gord well and ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:09 pm

i have a noisy and repair plagued hjc symax...

my next helmet is going to be a scorpion exo 1000... i recently spent 2 hours at the helmet shop trying on kbc... icon... shoei... arai... agv... nolan... sumoy... shark... and others... they are fit differently with pressure points all across the board...

the key is wear them outside and wonder around the parking lot for 20 minutes each... it may take some time but you will find the best fit...

this place has the worlds best customer service...

http://helmetoutletusa.com/

owrstrich
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:01 pm
Rookie

new helmet

I recently bought a ducati 848 ( I have a k1200r sport for the longer rides) and so I quickly realized the lighter the helmet the more comfortable I would feel on the superbike. After a lot of research I settled on a Suomy Spec1R extreme. Pricy like the Arai, but lighter and more comfortable in a sport position. i tend to prefer the Suomy over my Arai on the 12000r sport as well. Both helmets are noisy, but I qlways wear ear plugs.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:35 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200sport07
I recently bought a ducati 848 ( I have a k1200r sport for the longer rides) and so I quickly realized the lighter the helmet the more comfortable I would feel on the superbike. After a lot of research I settled on a Suomy Spec1R extreme. Pricy like the Arai, but lighter and more comfortable in a sport position. i tend to prefer the Suomy over my Arai on the 12000r sport as well. Both helmets are noisy, but I qlways wear ear plugs.
Thas right...... Suomy Spec 1R Extreme is the macdaddy, da bomb, the shizzy, off da hook, bang'en.................. anyway, I really like mine. I've had the Arai RX-7, Shoei X-11, Shuberth S-1, and I like the Suomy better than any of them. It's a little noisy but you should wear ear plugs anyway. The most comfortable for my melon by far. Great graphics for a stock helmet, IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4c0b_1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	8511  

John
2006 K1200S "Bumble Bee" Leo Vince Evo2 Ti can, Pazzo shorty's black/gold, Rizoma rearsets, grip puppies, MRA Vario screen, Sandbar Composites "dog bones", RhinoMoto ft axle, barend, swing arm sliders, GSG body sliders, snorkles out, Corbin w/pillion back rest, chrome reverse muffler bearings, hone extruded hyper dirve,
If you can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 11:21 am
Enthusiast

Whichever helmet you decide on is really a matter of your head shape and how a particular helmet fits you. The winner should fit with even pressure all around your head. There should be no hot spots. The helmet should be snug enough that it won't move around on your head while strapped on. At most movement is ideally limited to the helmet moving with your skin which isn't much. This is necessary to be sure the helmet won't come off during an accident. Don't hesitate to keep a prospective helmet on your head for 15-30 minutes to get a feel for comfort. Biggest thing is to be sure that "pressure" on your head is even. Also, don't disregard features like venting, removable liner etc. Little things like that will make ownership more pleasant over the long run. Best of luck with your purchase!

Jim
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 11:29 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielocean03
... trying to ride it...
That statement above has me worried. How many years experience do you have? Anyways most respectable places that sell helmets can help you with fit and selection. Given you don't know the size, I'd say you need to visit a few shops and with the "try to ride it" statement, take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course on riding.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 2:18 pm
Rookie

Helmet fit.

All helmets that are SNELL and DOT certified are going to protect you the same. It's about how the helmet fits you that's important at this point. I got a big head too and a particular shape that makes Shoei my helmet choice. Even within the same brand, I found that the top of the line X-11 fit me the best. I also found that only the top-end AGV fits me best.. I was a little pissed that only the top-end helmets were the best fitting... But the Scorpion EXO-400 also fit me like a glove too and it's less than $200! Seriously, spend all the money you can to find the best fitting helmet you can.. Luckily, I found my X-11 for 25% off! Total luck.

My first helmet didn't fit me well and would leave a mark on my forehead. The longer I wore the helmet, the longer the mark would stay. One time, I wore the helmet for several hours with a nasty headwind.. That mark turned into a blister. Yup...

Also, most helmet manufacturers only make about 3 helmet-shell sizes. So if you wear a large, you might get an XL helmet-shell size. I bought an a KBC I believe that was exactly this... It was HUGE. The Shoei X-11 has '7' helmet-shell sizes. The X-11 looks much smaller.

Lastly, my X-11 is worth all the money I spent on it. The quality of the paint, plastics and construction, "venting AND aerodynamics" that REALLY work.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:30 pm
Enthusiast

I think everyone is giving the right advice. Don't worry about the name on the helmet until you have tried on several from each brand/model. A helmet that is expensive, comes with super cool graphics but is uncomfortable to wear will most likely be left behind in the garage. Find several that are comfortable and then start looking at features and determine from there which helmet is for you. If a helmet is noisy you can fix that with ear plugs, so don't worry too much about that. Ventilation is going to be an important point to consider as well... I have a Nolan N-Com unit as my primary and a Scorpion as the backup. The Nolan I like better because of features and comfort including allowing me to wear sunglasses without too much pressure, with the N-com kit it allows me to listen to music while I ride as well.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode