Need help with Gear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2007, 12:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question Need help with Gear

I live in Arizona and like riding up north in the mountains. The Temperature can get in to the mid 30's but usually is in the 40 to 50 range. Somewhat colder for the next few months. I have been looking to get some new gear. All my current stuff is from when I had a Harley and is leather with Harley logo stuff on it. I have a 04 k1200gt. I am looking at textile jackets and pants. I am not sure how good textile is for protection I have always had Leather. Is textile the way to go. Seems much more comfortable. I have tried on Olympia, and Fieldsheer but noticed the Tourmaster stuff is much less expensive. The 3/4 length jackets seem more comfortable as well. Are they a mistake considering the seating position on my bike.

I am having even a bigger problem with pants. I am 5'6 and all the pants I have tried are way to long and need major alterations. It does not seem like the knee pads are adjustable enough either to be in the right place for me.

Please help I am losing my mind and patience with this process.

Jayson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:50 am
Rookie

Jayson - First thing: look for equipment that has CE approved armor inside. Textile is okay but stay away from anything that has "poly" in its name. Polyester melts, not good for a get off. Olympis makes some good stuff, not as good as BMW or REV'IT but good. Look here: MotoPort.com. Not a good site but good equipment and they make pants to fit. I have a pair of the Ultra II Kevlar Pant with liners in black. Order took several weeks but worth the wait.

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED

Last edited by 2ndChance; Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:57 am.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 6:51 am

Jayson,
Have you checked out the BMW stuff? Not all of it is real pricey. I wear the BMW city pant with long johns and they seem to work fine down to low 40s up here in the high country. And I have a BMW Traveler Jacket with a removable liner. The BMW stuff is good quality stuff that sometimes cost a little more but with care will last for years without showing much wear. Go over to Victory BMW in Chandler and see Stephanie, she's in charge of the apparel there and she is very helpful.
BTW it's 6 degrees here in Flagtaff this morning and still dropping.
FlagRS

P.S. all BMW gear has adjustable and removable CE armor.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 12:20 pm
Enthusiast

5'6"?

Not sure how you ride a 1200GT ......

Modern textile motorcycling gear is superior in nearly every aspect to the Harley leathers. Waterproof, armor in the right places and windproof - it's all better.

Aerostitch is to BMW riders as cowhide is to Harley riders. Aerostitch, Olympia, Hein Gericke and BMW all offer superior clothing.

As noted none of this stuff is cheap, especially compared to black leather.... but it is more comfortable, safer and drier.

I've been able to pick up good stuff over on eBay.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 1:49 pm
Addict

Personally, I like Motorport. They make their gear with Kevlar which is supposed to have superior tear strength, even after and when wet.

It is the only fabric besides leather to be allowed in motogp racing.

Good luck with your gear hunting,

Gravity
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2007, 2:02 pm
Rookie

Look here: http://www.motoport.com/index.asp?Me...1-800-777-6499 Great equipment, with armor, and use of Kevlar.

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:00 am

I'm probably old school relatively speaking. I wear the Aerostich Darien gear. I've probably around 70k miles in it and remain very pleased with its performance. I've never gotten wet, it fits well and though I haven't needed its crash-protection, I do feel safer in it than any other gear I've owned. Visit http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...p-1-c-248.html and take a look around. They stock loads of sizes but will manufacture to fit anything you may want. Great customer service too. Gear is tough though. You won't break it in... you must be patient while it breaks you in.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Gear recommendation

Jayson,

I'm 5'7 and experienced some of the same frustrations.

This might seem obvious - but look for manufacturers that make pants in short lengths.

I know BMW has pants that are available in short lengths (or at least they did when I bought mine) - and so do several other manufacturers.

It's worth looking around, trying on and then paying for good gear that will protect you in <any> situation you might need it to.

Best of luck!

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:29 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonm
I live in Arizona and like riding up north in the mountains. The Temperature can get in to the mid 30's but usually is in the 40 to 50 range. Somewhat colder for the next few months.

Jayson
I've had a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket that I use when its cold, or when the weather is 'unpredictable'. I've worn it in temps ranging from 38 to 101 (key when its hot is to keep moving ).

Removable liner, vents, lots of pockets. If I could only have one jacket this would probably be it.

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Rookie

Kilimanjaro is a great coat and not TOO expensive. Lots of pockets, a removable liner and Vents to open in the arms, chest and back. Good from about 85 degrees down to the 20's if you throw a sweatshirt on with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode