armor under-pants - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:12 am Thread Starter
Addict

armor under-pants

Well...I don't like those butt pads in my dariens, drives me crazy...feels like someone is tailgating me all the time!

Butt, I'm old...and I've lowsided on my hip once already (well ok, twice) so i should know better.

I'm looking at like the Bohn armor underpants, stuff like that. I want the one's where you just put em on, with all the protection included. I suspect they might be more comfy out back than the darien pads.

I really need to cover my arse, I can't afford a broken/badly bruised hip right now and for some reason, there is something wrong with my bike, its always leaned way over on the turns!! Different tires dont' seem to help any either

Anti-up, who's got em, do you like em, which ones are best (ok, thats a bit subjective)....and where do you get em if you have a preference.

I'm thinking about using those under my darien pants, I can dump the knee pads too with underarmor pants.

tanks for the help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2008, 9:28 am
Addict

I'm a huge fan of this stuff:
Forcefield Body Armor

I got mine from Johnson Leathers Great folks and he was the first to import sell them.

I've done an iron butt distance in this stuff...it is that good!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the links, that stuff looks great.

One concern...I'm assuming you wore the pants on the link for LD riding.

I read a review where the fellow says the armor in the knees/shins cause sore spots after awhile.

I'm concerned about this because I had a jkt once with the same problem in the shoulders, it was ruff after awhile.

Do you see that as a problem? I'm in my gear no less than 15-20 hours per week so comfort is key as well as protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Thanks for the links, that stuff looks great.

One concern...I'm assuming you wore the pants on the link for LD riding.

I read a review where the fellow says the armor in the knees/shins cause sore spots after awhile.

I'm concerned about this because I had a jkt once with the same problem in the shoulders, it was ruff after awhile.

Do you see that as a problem? I'm in my gear no less than 15-20 hours per week so comfort is key as well as protection.

I saw that in the review...However, I didn't have a problem except for my right knee where I have screw heads sticking out just a little. I used two make up sponges over the screw protrusions and it was fine. At the end of a kinda long day, perhaps more than 8-10 in the saddle, it would hurt me a little, but not enough that I felt I had to stop because of it...

YMMV...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2009, 9:28 pm
DAK
Noob

Bohn Armor

I've worn Bohn for 2 years and they are very comfortable. I recommend them. Never tested them. Particularly good in hot weather. The armor does not breath but elbows, knees and shoulders don't sweat, albeit back does. The garments and system allow cool riding in jeans and mesh shirt with full armor. Only concern - as with all protection: it is not tight for comfort and therefore can be dislodged in a slide.

Rode a cruiser and the Bohn arguments about their protection vs leathers makes a lot of sense to me for cruiser and urban riding. Now I ride 2006 K1200GT. On longer highway rides at considerable speed I thought more slide protection made sense. Just bought Comfortshell pants for that purpose. Wanted leather but just too hot for touring I think. BMW leather did not have much ventilation. Comfortshell pants are comfortable but a short rise (crotch) gets a little cramped (seriously). Ordered a Ralley Pro2 jacket for better back protection and 3-4 seasons in one jacket. It's not in yet. Hope this helps. Cheers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I owe ya'll a final here I think...

After much research and adoo, finally dealing with my realities (I own no cage), I bought some new BMW armor pants (Santiago).

Reasons are, first they are BMW so I trust them in a crash, they are super comfy (as much as jeans) and don't look bad at all so I don't mind wearing them anywhere (they dont' swish when I'm walking either, like my darians did ) Even the little kids seem to be ok with them, I think my old baggy swishy darians scared the kids

they also have hip armor that doesn't bother me, its well-placed.

I crash tested these $400 britches about 2 weeks after I bought them, dropped the LT in dallas on I-20, I didn't know rain turned to ice up there!!

low speed, dumped me and the wife in lane#2 (she wears full BMW armor suit), neither one of us had even a bruise. I fell right onto my hip of course, the pads were just in time (I ain't no spring chicken).

The biggest factor since they passed the armor test, was if I'd be willing to wear them all the time. Thats how I tryed them on, thats how I made the decision ultimately. I was right too, I'd rather wear them than jeans, even in the comfort arena.

just for some comparo's anyways..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2009, 9:52 pm
Noob

Forcefield impact protection gear

The Forcefield T Pro impact shorts are seriously worth looking at, there is a very good independent review at WebBikeWorld (along with other gear). Forcefield gear is not inexpensive but not only do you get exactly what you pay for, it also rates highly for comfort. I own the T Pro 4 shorts, not only can you adjust the level of protection to different areas but it tests as being the most effective on impact. Do your research independently of heresay and sales talk. These products will not save you from injury but they significantly reduce the seriousness of bodily harm and can make the differance between being hospitalised or limping around home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode