Gerbings = CHINA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 9:10 am Thread Starter
KKM

Gerbings = CHINA

After buying a $5. Accessory kit from Gerbings for $35. I had to call them and ask what happened to there normal high quality. The lady told me there stuff is made in CHINA now. The accessory kit is being returned. What a pile of junk.

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 10:09 am
Veteran

Well, just wunerful!

Fwiw, I have their new Cascade Extreme electric 4 seasons (It's not! I sweat like a pig in summer in it.) suit. Some of the stitching is very poor and some of it fell apart, like Velcro that comes off (unstitched) with the first pull. I returned it to be fixed which took about two months. Warranty is only a year too.

I noticed BMW outsources their clothing to Italy (boots), Bulgaria, Hungary (Santiago suit), Romania, and Slovenia. Quality seems to be very good on their stuff. I bought some of the big-dollar bag liners for the BMW and thought "Wow! They don't look like a cheap Wal-Mart bag!" But then they cost dearly too.

Some of the new Harley jackets from Pakistan are very thin leather for an exorbitant price.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 6:51 am
Enthusiast

I bought a heated liner back in January and noticed the right arm and part of the torso weren't getting warm. The BMW dealer said I had to deal with Gerbings directly for the repair, so I called them and explained I would like a new one since this one was defective out of the box. The lady said no can do and now I've been without my liner for the last 4 weeks.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 9:19 am Thread Starter
KKM

It is sad when a good company like Gerbings screws up this much. There old US supplier is turning out some very nice stuff under another name. Nice people to talk and deal with. They do not supply anything made in CHINA.

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:42 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM
It is sad when a good company like Gerbings screws up this much. There old US supplier is turning out some very nice stuff under another name. Nice people to talk and deal with. They do not supply anything made in CHINA.
? Who, what, where is the USA company making goods in the USA? I want to buy from them..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:44 pm

I've got a Widder vest that's worked great. Carry/wear it year round. Too bad they are going out of business at the end of '08. Widder is USA stuff, isn't it?

Have you looked into the Gears stuff? They are almost a carbon copy of the Widder type vests, but Canadian. Their site says they are about 10 yrs old.

Other one I haven't done much homework on is the Warm & Safe brand. Bit more $$ than the Widder/Gears/Tour Master brands, but they have higher wattage ratings and higher cost trollers. Get what you pay for rule maybe?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2008, 8:51 am Thread Starter
KKM

Give Warm & Safe a call. Ask them were there stuff is made , I think you will like what they say. Good people to deal with but they don't have a complete set of clothes yet.
Kevin

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:43 am
Veteran

This sort of sums up Warm n Safe.

Warm n Safe

Mack
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashnit
I've got a Widder vest that's worked great. Carry/wear it year round. Too bad they are going out of business at the end of '08. Widder is USA stuff, isn't it?

Have you looked into the Gears stuff? They are almost a carbon copy of the Widder type vests, but Canadian. Their site says they are about 10 yrs old.

Other one I haven't done much homework on is the Warm & Safe brand. Bit more $$ than the Widder/Gears/Tour Master brands, but they have higher wattage ratings and higher cost trollers. Get what you pay for rule maybe?
Widder's is a good product. Unfortunately, they're gone at the end of the year, as is their warranty. Gerbing's has been in business 32 years and offer a lifetime warranty on heating elements. W&S /First Gear/and PL = made in Pakistan. Synergy is made in China.

KM
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 3:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
? Who, what, where is the USA company making goods in the USA? I want to buy from them..
Check with Aerostich. I had a problem with an electric liner in January, returned it as instructed and a replacement was shipped within 5 days!! Great service, 2 yr. warranty. Oh yes. Made in America labels on both the old and new liner!!!!!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode