Heated clothing.....blown fuse - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 4:43 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Unhappy Heated clothing.....blown fuse

I purchased a Gerbing jacket liner and a pair of gloves from my dealer, who also cheerfully sold me a controller and a patch cord terminated with a BMW powerlet male. All stock Gerbing stuff. I was given to understand that I could wire myself up, plug in, and get warm. It was very nice until the fuse blew.

The powerlet on the bike (KRS '04) is fused at 7.5 amps, or used to be. How much does the jacket/glove combo draw? I thought it consumed something like 170 watts, full on. Although I didn't use it, the gloves and jacket came with wiring for a direct battery connection. There's a 15 amp fuse in that wiring, which certainly ought to do it. Should I replace the bike fuse with a 15 amp one? Is there any reason to suspect that the powerlet is not wired to carry that current? The fitting itself certainly looks heavy enough.

How about installing another powerlet in the lower blank hole, wired directly to the battery with the fuse in line? I hate to run unswitched power to an outlet.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
I purchased a Gerbing jacket liner and a pair of gloves from my dealer, who also cheerfully sold me a controller and a patch cord terminated with a BMW powerlet male. All stock Gerbing stuff. I was given to understand that I could wire myself up, plug in, and get warm. It was very nice until the fuse blew.

The powerlet on the bike (KRS '04) is fused at 7.5 amps, or used to be. How much does the jacket/glove combo draw? I thought it consumed something like 170 watts, full on. Although I didn't use it, the gloves and jacket came with wiring for a direct battery connection. There's a 15 amp fuse in that wiring, which certainly ought to do it. Should I replace the bike fuse with a 15 amp one? Is there any reason to suspect that the powerlet is not wired to carry that current? The fitting itself certainly looks heavy enough.

How about installing another powerlet in the lower blank hole, wired directly to the battery with the fuse in line? I hate to run unswitched power to an outlet.
Bill,
The accessory outlet is hot all the time, they are not switched. I would suggest installing another outlet using a larger fuse and 12ga. wire to run your Gerbings setup. You'll get more heat from it with the heavier wire.The stock wiring is a bit on the small side for a heavy load.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 5:06 pm
Veteran

Blown Fuse

If my math is right and your specs are correct you'll need an approx. 12 to 15 amp fuse in line. No wonder your 7.5 fuse blows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Thanks, Bob. I just got back from the Gerbing site and it turns out that the jacket takes 77 watts, and the gloves 11 apiece, for a total of 99 watts. The 7.5 amp powerlet fuse is good for 90, so I guess that's why I got a few minutes of heat before it blew. I'll have the dealer wire me up a second powerlet when I'm in for my 600 mile inspection. I may have one ride to take before the bike goes in. Do think I would be nuts to slip in a 10 amp fuse temporarily?

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 5:24 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Do think I would be nuts to slip in a 10 amp fuse temporarily?
Actually, it depends. The way they figure out the fuse size is based on two things...wire size for that particular circuit (don't want to melt the wire, and they are prone to using smaller wire size when they can get away with it) and over-all load. By the second one I mean that they'll drop the amperage of one fuse if they add another circuit, so that they don't overload the main wire coming into the fuse block (again, they like to use the smallest wire size they can). So, by using a 33% larger fuse, you might cause the wire feeding the accessory plug to get warm(er), or if you have all the other circuits engaged, you might be pushing the limits on the wire feeding the fuseblock.

I think your best option is to connect the Gerbing wiring setup you got for connecting to the battery, and leave the accessory plug for charging your cell phone.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 7:26 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Well Ray, it sounds like you understand copper. I agree that the Gerbing line to the battery (nice thick stranded wire) is the conservative fix, but it doesn't appeal to my sense of neatness. I'm going to try to keep the bike as free as possible of wires and connectors hanging in the breeze. I'll hook up the Gerbing rig until I can get another powerlet (am I right in referring to the stock BMW fitting as a powerlet?) installed and run the battery feed to it. At least the poserlet has that little cap. I'm uncomfortable with letting the Gerbing wiring dangle...those connectors are small and the contacts are close...seems like too much of an invitation to a short in an always-on line.

I can't be the first one to face this problem. I'd like to hear how others have dealt with it. Thanks, Bill

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 8:47 pm
Mac

Trolers

Quote:
Well Ray, it sounds like you understand copper. I agree that the Gerbing line to the battery (nice thick stranded wire) is the conservative fix, but it doesn't appeal to my sense of neatness. I'm going to try to keep the bike as free as possible of wires and connectors hanging in the breeze. I'll hook up the Gerbing rig until I can get another powerlet (am I right in referring to the stock BMW fitting as a powerlet?) installed and run the battery feed to it. At least the poserlet has that little cap. I'm uncomfortable with letting the Gerbing wiring dangle...those connectors are small and the contacts are close...seems like too much of an invitation to a short in an always-on line.

I can't be the first one to face this problem. I'd like to hear how others have dealt with it. Thanks, Bill
Bill,

If you want a real clean installation, try what I did. Install a double mounted "heat-troller" http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_coax.php - It mounts directly to the battery, is fused, and you mount the controller knob inside your forward side panel. Clean and effective. But, it takes a bit of effort and willingness to drill holes in a perfectly good panel (so don't screw it up).

Matt
Germany
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2005, 8:05 pm

Quote:
I agree that the Gerbing line to the battery (nice thick stranded wire) is the conservative fix, but it doesn't appeal to my sense of neatness.
I like to think that I am as uptight as the next guy when it comes to dangling wires and neatness... I used the power outlet for a few weeks with the Gerbing, but I never seemed to keep a good connection and never liked the big connector banging around when wearing the jacket of the bike... I finally added the Gerbing connector directly from the battery with the in-line fuse.

If the picture upload worked, then you can see the connector hides quite well just behind the grab handle on the left side of the bike just below the seat (you can just see the red mark on the wire). I can easily snag the wire my finger while seated and just slide the connector out and hook-up in 1-2 seconds. When I park, I either let it dangle (it doesn't bother me as much as I thought) or tuck it back away. This was meant to be a temporary setup until I found something "neater", but so far it works great (its been a year)... I tried to point to the wire under the seat in the last picture (it runs straight from the battery). I think I used 1 zip-tie to hold the wire in place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03415.JPE
Views:	85
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03416.JPE
Views:	68
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	680   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03417.JPE
Views:	83
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03418.JPE
Views:	91
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	682  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Thumbs up

My conscience got the best of me and I went for the conservative approach....straight to the battery. I installed the Gerbing wiring as described above and I feel better for it. I hadn't noticed that the Gerbing connector has a little cap. That's nice. Anyway, thanks for a good idea. Bill

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:20 am

Anyone notice how warm the power plug gets on the Gerbing cord? Not excessive, but I was still surprised at how warm it was after a 2-hour ride in the low 30's. Heck, that was cold enough that the butane lighter in my coat pocket wouldn't work for awhile.

There is no problem using the SAE connector on another bike (as compared to the BMW plug). Guess I just tend to notice warm spots after a cold ride. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode