Dianese Bluetooth - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 12:27 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Dianese Bluetooth

When I bought my K1200GT last August I splurged and got a Dianese Airstream course helmet with Bluetooth. I really wanted a bluetooth option and this seemed like the best with it built in. I'm actually pretty happy with the bluetooth, it pairs well with my Nav III and cell phone, and people can't tell I'm on the bike. It could be a little louder (I wear earplugs) but I don't take calls at freeway speeds so no big deal.

Unfortunately, I dropped it recently. Slipped when taking it off my helmet lock, and even though it only fell about 18" it landed right on one of the bumps above the eye and made a small crack. It's just a crack in the surface plastic/paint, and I've been living with it, but the crack is getting bigger and it catches when I clean the bugs off and I just don't like riding with a cracked helmet!

I see Dianese just came out with an upgraded bluetooth helmet, but I haven't read much about it. The new one supports Bluetooth 2.0, but not the A2DP (stereo music) profile. (I can't find anything that supports that profile in a helmet system!) I couldn't care less about the bike-to-bike feature, since it's really incredibly unlikely that I'll find a riding buddy with the same helmet.

I'm debating between it and just getting a Schuberth (PITA finding one in the US) and installing an Autocomm (and using FRS for bike-to-bike or bike-to-car when needed.) While the convenience of not having to plug in the helmet is GREAT for day trips, on anything longer it's kind of a hassle to have to keep it charged so the bluetooth works. ...and I wish I had a better option for music. I'm planning a long (10+ days) trip this summer and I'm thinking music will be important for some of it.

Thoughts? Anyone try the new Dianese bluetooth?

Any comments on that vs autocom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 1:48 pm
Addict

have you checked out http://benchmarkhelmets.com? Supposedly, in about a month they are suppose to release a system that is sort of like the Autocomm, but uses Bluetooth to the helmets. I think the whole system is wireless so your phone, GPS, mp3, etc would Bluetooth to the device, then Bluetooth to your helmets. That way rider & passenger share the same music and can intercom.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Charge-from-the-bike

You know what would be cool? A bluetooth helmet with a charge from the bike (and while in use) capability.

I really like having bluetooth built into the helmet. It's just beautifully integrated with no wires or blobs or extensions or glue to deal with. And it's really nice to just get on and off the bike without messing with plugging stuff in.

The problem for multi-day trips is recharging the helmet. If I could plug 12v power directly into the helmet while riding, then I'd have a ready backup for when the helmet batteries ran out, and I could only plug it in when I planned on being on the bike for a good long time, so a lot less hassle than a wired solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode