HJC Symax II - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

HJC Symax II

I've been wearing the HJC Symax and have loved it. It's been dropped a few times, dinged a few times (dayem gravel trucks), is pretty rough looking and stinks to high heaven even having been cleaned and washed inside real good. In all fairness we had a real wet year last year and I believe it's just plain rotting and this helmet isn't even two years old. I can't even imagine what I look like on the inside.

I've been reading about this new Symax II and impulse bought one last week.

It's a bit lighter, a bit quieter and the peripheral vision on it is a bit better. The guy at the dealer said it flowed air better (they took a class), but who can tell in this suffocating heat and humidity?

The best part is the flip down, green visor. Kinda looks like a fighter pilot helmet. The flip down has two positions, low and lower, which is purdy much useless as they aren't that far apart. Easy to work and has a spring pop back with the push of a button. I like this feature. I've been wearing one of those static stick on, opaque green, strips for the last bunch of years. The downside to those is you really can't see thru them and you will eventually lose it when you turn your head at warp speed. This can be a bummer far from home.

The autocomm speakers installed easy, the flip bar chin mechanism is easier to use and even the chin piece has been redesigned for easier grasp.

I slapped some SOLAS tape on it and I likes it just fine. BTW, the sizes haven't changed, so if you own a Symax now and find a good internet deal, it'll work. Git you some.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Rode with the Symax I for almost two years (HD branded version) and really liked it. I have now switched to the Symax II and it is great. Same fit on my oversized noggin as the original (XL) and the drop down shades work very well. I wear wire-framed glasses and they don't interfere at all. The shades have 3 positions (the last position requires you to press the release button as you push the lever forward to reach it) and I prefer this lowest one. I can look at the instruments through my bi-focals and my vision is still covered by the shade. I did take a small 0.5" sanding drum on a Dremel tool and increased the depth of the nose "cut-out" on the shades by about 1/8" (3mm) so there is no chance of contact with my nose.

Installing my Scala Rider bluetooth (for phone and GPS) from my Symax I was a little tricky but it worked out well. Let me know if anyone is interested in the details of this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 7:02 am

Symax II better than Nolan

I just got back from a 2 1/2 week trip through southern Appalacians using a new Symax II. I like it. Like the internal sun visor over the external (Nolan). Also, better side vision. Also use a Scala, but only to hear GPS, so attached it with velcro further to the rear. Not sure how to install normally as the hinge may get in way, and lining does not separate from shell. So a word of caution there.

Don G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Also, better side vision. Also use a Scala, but only to hear GPS, so attached it with velcro further to the rear. Not sure how to install normally as the hinge may get in way, and lining does not separate from shell. So a word of caution there.
Yep, takes a bit of a creative approach but the result is very nice. Not only does the hinged front potentially interfere, the impact absorbing material wraps all the way around the side of the helmet, unlike the Symax I, Nolan, etc. I need to post some photos of my install if I can ever get back home from work on the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode