BMW Phase Change Suit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

BMW Phase Change Suit

Is this suit worth the price over just some Under Armour or the like type wicking long-johns/underwears? Just curious if anyone has this suit and if it is worth the expense. Thanks

Pleasant temperatures – like heaven on earth
What Man uses in space is also extremely helpful on earth. The "Phase Change Material," originally used in aerospace applications, is highly suited to use in motorcycle clothing. It serves to regulate deviations in temperature, giving you the feeling of being "out there in heaven" even though you are still firmly on the ground.
Colors: black/grey, black/blue
Unisex S-XXL
Imported

Last edited by BMWOWNER; May 31st, 2008 at 6:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWOWNER
Is this suit worth the price over just some Under Armour or the like type wicking long-johns/underwears?
Beats me. I just picked up the top today in preparation for my ride home from Seattle (back to SF Bay Area). The black part feels like very thick neoprene (wet suit type of stuff). We'll see.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 8:50 pm
Looking for better limits...

Simply put...works for me. I've had it for 3 years, and on cross-country trips where you can get temperature swings of 30 degrees, it's good stuff. No stopping to alter your apparel for the ride. Cold outside is cool, hot outside is warm.

This being California, the temps rarely go below 50 and above 90 where I'm riding.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the replies...Is it bulky in any way..as in is it comfortable under a textile suit?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 2:21 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

I've had mine for 2 years and I have no complaints at all - it does what it says it does.

You need to buy it in a size that fits snug to the body. Basically all I usually wear is an Underarmour tight fitting t-shirt and this thing on top - this for days when the temps are going to swing between high 30's to high 70's. In colder temperatures or winter riding, I just add an electric vest - nothing more is needed (for me, anyway).

It should not be too bulky, as long as it's just the phase change and a snug t-shirt. I wear mine under my touring leathers.

I rarely wear the pants part of the suit, my legs don't get too cold and I only wear the phase change on rides that I know I will spend the entire trip in the 30's and 40's.

Compared to the bulk of winter liners or other non-electric cold gear, I think this stuff is top of my list.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 1:17 pm

If you want added versatility to the top. Check out the phase change jacket. You can wear it for more than the underwear jacket. If you buy the proper size, it will be as snug fitting as the underwear and fit perfectly under any jacket.

http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA...er&bplo=&bphi=

Regards, Dave
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2008, 1:28 pm

jacket and pants

You have a PM
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 3:36 pm

All of my leather is perforated and it works PERFECTLY. Spent a week in the Blue Ridge recently and could not be happier. Mornings were in the low 40's afternoons in the low 70's. Best money I have spent on apparel.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2009, 3:54 pm
Enthusiast

As an alternative, Nike makes some great cold weather compression gear for alot less cash and it works great in cold temps.

In fairness, it doesn't have the heavy "wetsuit-like" material of the BMW gear.....but IMO, that just adds bulk and a lack of flexibility that I don't really want.

Mike M
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2009, 4:29 pm
Addict

The jacket is $235.00 alone, it better be all that and a bag of chips. I say buy long johns baby.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Last edited by 2008-K1200GT; Feb 4th, 2009 at 4:41 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode