Phase change cooling vest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Phase change cooling vest

Anyone have one of these? http://www.stacoolvest.com/index.php
Riding in Texas is brutally hot and my hour commute each way is mostly stop and go, only about 15 miles. When the heat index is 105, plus the bike heat, no moving air, and the pavement heat radiation I'm afraid my boys will melt into the tank and seat.

Anyone try a phase change cooling vest and if so, how well does it work?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 4:20 pm
Enthusiast

I haven't used this specific brand of cooling vest, but I have used a cooling vest for work purposes and they are worth their weight in gold imho. I am a bomb disposal technician and during a chemical remediation job I did in Oklahoma last August it really saved our bacon!

We were if full chemical protective suits, which trust me, do not breathe a lick, in temperatures in the high 90's with about 85% humidity. If it wasnt for the cooling vests that were supplied, the job would have been physically impossible.

I also live in Texas (Houston), and the cooling vest is defineatly on my list of "must haves" for riding gear. Now they wont help keep you cool all day long, your looking at probably about 2-3 hours of usefullness per cooling insert. For your commute I'd suggest keeping a set of inserts at work and at home and swapping out on each leg of your commute.

Anyway, hope this helps you a bit....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 4:52 pm
Strafist

I saw 102 on the bike leaving my office in San Antonio (off IH10 and DeZavala). Thought it would cool off when I got out of the city, but even New Braunfels was 100. It did drop to 99 when I got up on FM306 a bit.

I think summer is here.

Do the vests really work in high humidity?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 5:24 pm

I've got two of these
http://store.coolvest.com/merchant2/...gory_Code=RCVN

I sold my bike but I use them with my open top Jeep. They do work! My plan for the bike was to put an extra set of cool packs in a 15" neoprene laptop case. Fill a large heavy duty
ziplock storage bag with crushed ice. Put the ice bags in the laptop case with the coolpacks and you'll be surprised how fast the packs will recharge and once recharged, how long they will last inside the neoprene case. Obviously, you'll lose a little room in your side case. Just leave your underwear at home. Hell, if it's that hot who needs 'em. Let the boys free.

Also, if you're active duty military and maybe Vets also. Glacier Tec will give you a pretty descent discount.

Be safe,
Dave
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 6:40 pm
Addict

I wore one a few years ago on my trip to S. Dakota. By the time I got to Denton (from San Antonio) I was ready to chuck the stupid thing. Granted, mine was one of those that you soak in water, but about all it did for me was add about 20# and keep air from circulating through my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.

I think they'd work great in dry climates, but high humidity really hinders their performance.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Strafist

Same here. I wore it exactly once. I used to pack it in a baggie after spending the night in the fridge. It would stay in the saddlebag and when I got home I hung it up. I repeated this for every trip for years until I gave the thang away.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I wore one a few years ago on my trip to S. Dakota. By the time I got to Denton (from San Antonio) I was ready to chuck the stupid thing. Granted, mine was one of those that you soak in water, but about all it did for me was add about 20# and keep air from circulating through my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.

I think they'd work great in dry climates, but high humidity really hinders their performance.
Doug,
The idea with phase change is to not let air, particularly 100 degree air, circulate through your jacket. You're trying to keep the cool air close to the body to help regulate your bodys temperature. It doesn't rely on or work around the principles of evaporative cooling. All airflow does with a phase change vest is remove the cool air it's trying to provide.

Regards
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 5:26 am
Enthusiast

I guess it depends on the model you use I guess. The one I have used a lot had the blue ice looking stuff in the cooling packs....and it really made a difference in the heat and humidity.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 6:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombteck
I guess it depends on the model you use I guess. The one I have used a lot had the blue ice looking stuff in the cooling packs....and it really made a difference in the heat and humidity.
A number of different types of cooling vests. FWIW, here's a short basic description of the major players and the pros and cons.
http://www.coolvest.com/how_personal_cooling_tech.htm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:32 am
Enthusiast

Last summer I picked up a Silver Eagle cooling vest, the kind that holds more water than the "usual" type of material. I can say without a doubt, the thing works here even with the Mid Atlantic's high humidity. As long as I am moving, I am comfortable, sometimes needing to close off vents in my Savaanah 2 jacket. Last week I had opportunity to ride at a triathlon where temps were in the upper 90s. My trip to and from the triathlon saw temps past 100 degrees. I was always comfortable. Just add water and let evaporation do the rest! A friend of mine picked up a used one last Labor day at Finger Lakes and was totally convinced of its value at the same event last week. He had previously been a skeptic. Summer riding for me isn't about how hot it is any more.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode