Heated vest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2008, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Heated vest

I can ride year round now that I'm out of the snowy winters. Looking to get a heated vest to get me by. I'm thinking a vest will be enough to get through those 40 and 50 degree days if I want to go out. I like Cortech - they have a heated vest with a collar. Biggest thing is something around my neck.

So what say you all on keeping warm for a casual rider? If it's cold enough to need heated everything I'll ride another day. Already have heated seat and grips. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:31 pm
Veteran

A heated jacket liner makes more sense to me. Gerbings has heat wires in the arms and collar. It helps to keep your arms (then hands) warm.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:52 pm
Addict-oholic

+1 on the Gerbings liner. I wore it yesterday for 9 hours in 10 degrees up to 56 degrees and back down to 45 degres over the course of the day. Real toasty over the arms. But, it draws more power than the canbus can handle, therefore I have an outlet mounted that goes to the battery directly.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
+1 on the Gerbings liner. I wore it yesterday for 9 hours in 10 degrees up to 56 degrees and back down to 45 degres over the course of the day. Real toasty over the arms. But, it draws more power than the canbus can handle, therefore I have an outlet mounted that goes to the battery directly.
What kind of plug? I've got a wired tank bag, have cigar plug and SAE connector. Thanks for the tips.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:53 pm
IBR# 366

Go for the full heated jacket rather than just the vest. Your arms stay out in the wind on the GT, so the extra heat there will help. The only advantages to a vest over a jacket is that it packs slightly smaller, and uses slightly less power. Neither of these is a real problem on the GT.

I much prefer the Warm & Safe jackets myself. They're hot enough to add all the heat you'll need well down below freezing. And they're better fitted, using stretch panels to comfortably hug your torso (thus ensuring efficient heat transfer). Gerbings makes some nice stuff too, but my $$ went to Warm & Safe.

But whatever jacket brand you buy, you need to get a Heat-Troller for it. An on-off switch isn't good enough, and the Heat-Troller is the most efficient, most robust heated jacket controller out there. Everyone now uses coax connectors, so the Heat-Troller can be used with pretty much any jacket.

And go ahead and wire up a separate plug for it directly to the battery. Whether you use the coax connecter harness provided, or add a second Powerlet (BMW-style outlet), a direct battery connection will give you maximum heat output when you need it, regardless what the CanBus thinks. You don't even need a relay, as even if the heat-Troller is left full on with the jacket unplugged, it only draws just enough power to run the LED lights so it won't run your battery down even overnight.

Trust me, I've been there, done that with the heated gear and the above suggestions work great for me no matter how cold it gets. Now precipitation/ice is a different issue . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:02 pm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:00 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
What kind of plug? I've got a wired tank bag, have cigar plug and SAE connector. Thanks for the tips.
I mounted a bmw outlet wired direct to the battery and have an extension cord for the Gerbings that terminates in a BMW plug. I like the BMW plugs as they seat bewtter than the SAE cigarette lighter plugs.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 1:53 pm
Veteran

Something to keep an eye on when using the BMW plug. The center electrode socket is held in place by a #4-40?thread, #0 phillips screw. My receptacle fell apart while crossing the desert at night, not fun.
Mine might have been a fluke, but worth checking.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2009, 7:28 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
they have a heated vest with a collar.
Are you planning to wear the vest alone, without a coat? I have a heated vest with a collar, and if I had it to do over again (I might anyway), I would get one without a collar. I have never worn the vest without my coat, and the vest collar is bulky in the wrong place under the coat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode