Schuberth C3 My review - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 2:52 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Schuberth C3 My review

Been lusting after the new Schuberth C3 ever since it was released last month. Unfortunately, it is not sold in North America. Word is that S wont put up with our litigious society and the antiquated DOT approval. There are No dealers in the US or Canada! Well, after reading many reviews, I did a little research and found a few sites in the EU who will sell us this lid. Ok, its not cheap, but i'm worth the few extra bucks (quid for my UK brothers). In the middle 90's I bought the orig Concept. It was really big, loud and Heavy. Good quality though. Since, I have owned an Arai RX7, a Nolan 100, and up to now a Shoei X-11. All good lids. I really wanted a new flip and my Nolan is a litttle old and a bit streached out. I took a chance-since I couldn't try on a C3 and ordered it from a really nice shop in Wales. After a few emails back and forth on sizing, shape and color, it was shipped.
I wear a med-56-57cm and the S in that size (med-56-57cm) was perfect. If u are comfortable in any of the above helmets, the C3 will fit your head. Apparently, S has 2 mold sizes, one for xs-med and another for l-xxl. The lid is about the physical size of the Arai-normal outside size, not like the orig C that wouldn't fit in the panniers of my "96 R1100, it was so big. The color is anthricite-but is has a blue hue to it and really compliments the color of my blue KGT. I wont tell u the features as they are listed with pics on their site. But, all the claims are TRUE! Highest quality, paint, fit and acoutraments. There is a rear curtain and 2 front curtians. This sucker is Quiet. With the visor just open in the first position-no it doesnt have the old -pull out City position,which I liked-just normal up and down in increments, there is a gentle sound of wind-but really quiet. Well, the visor is open isn't it. At 70 and the visor just open to first position,, and the bikes screen (not visor) in the lowest position-vents open-you can have a conversation with yourself. With the screen (bikes) in middle position No wind noise at all! Visor conpletely shut and she is dead quiet-like riding in a Lexus-but still hear traffic. I might have to pull out the silencer in the Remus just to hear the motor-it is that quiet!
Weigh is comparatable to the Arai, and a little lighter that the Shoei X-11. Needless to say I am completely in love with this helmet.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..

Last edited by pmorritt; Oct 28th, 2008 at 6:00 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:26 pm
Addict-oholic

What a great review. I own a BMW system 4 and it is starting to show its age. I will be in France in January, and I will see if I can try on the Schuberth. I hear that it is a kissing cousin to the new BMW helmets or maybe it is the same.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great helmet (no pun intended). I've thought about an S as the next helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
What a great review. I own a BMW system 4 and it is starting to show its age. I will be in France in January, and I will see if I can try on the Schuberth. I hear that it is a kissing cousin to the new BMW helmets or maybe it is the same.
Larry, tried on a BMW S5 last month in Canada-they still sell BMW branded helmets there but-believe it or not-will not sell it w/o proof of u being a Kanuk! Anyway-the S5 helmet gave me an immediate "hot Spot" on my forehead. Schuberth makes (so I have read) BMW helmets, but not the same.

It was cool here this am-49f and heavy fog-normal for this time of year in the Bay Area. As most of us have come to realize< all the claims of "anti-fog" are BS. From "Cat Shit" to soap and everything else. The only thing that I have found to work was the "pinlock" attachment on the Arai-or other similar device that seals itself to the inside of the visor.
The C3 comes with the "pinlock". They too have realized that "antifog" coating doesn't work. Put it on-read instructions here and mostly I don't and No FOG. K-if u insist on not reading instructions-1-u must take off the visor-really easy to take it off/on. The attachment Will Not go on with the visor curved. It must b semi flat. 2-u have to seal the sillycon edges of the attachment for it to work properly. Really enjoying this beauty.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Noob

How specifically did you order, how long did it take, and, if you don't mind, how much? Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylife
How specifically did you order, how long did it take, and, if you don't mind, how much? Thanks
Sure. did quite a lot of research--mostly UK. found a few that would ship to the US. The C3 was just released in Europe in Sept. Most had a price of 449 euros. Lucky for us it has come down a little. This shop in Wales "Sportouring" <[email protected]>, had a discounted price of 10%. So, after a few emails on size, color and shipping. Ordered it on a Friday and it arrived by UPS on Monday. Cost was 404 euros+express shipping 77 euros-came to little over $800. There is no tax or VAT as a helmet in the UK is considered safety equipment. Yea, pricey, but consider my X-11 was over 6. (Put it on a card she never uses and never sees . Once got a new bike-was nearly same color as the one it replaced-she never knew!)
Woops--sorry ment GB British pounds. Numbers remain same.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED

Last edited by pmorritt; Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:08 pm.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2008, 2:13 pm
Noob

Thanks!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

I also just received a C3, Glossy Black from Woody's Importarium Ltd (Sportouring) in Wales. They were great to deal with by email, even helping me find out what delayed my shipment a few days during the holiday period. Nice folks.

I have worn the helmet one time, in a break in the cold weather here, and really like it. My other helmet is a Shoei MultiTec size XL, and the C3 in size XXL fits me perfectly. The interior volume of the helmet is slightly larger than the Shoei, so less claustrophobic. The Pinlock antifog visor works amazingly well, even in the very cold weather I was riding in. You can actually see the drops of condensate accumulating below the Pinlock section of the visor which itself remained perfectly clear. The sun-visor is very effective, and the actuating mechanism works well.

I had the bike up to speeds of 105 MPH, riding with my GT tall screen all the way up. I'm 5'11" tall. The helmet is very quiet when all buttoned up, with the chin panel in place. I could hear my motor up to about 75 MPH. At lower speeds, I probably would not wear my usual custom-fitted Etymotic ER-4 earphones unless I wanted directions or music.

The helmet is very light, and has an interesting fit around my neck, much more protective than my Shoei. The fit and finish is outstanding. Overall, I'm very pleased with this German lid. YMMV.

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Statmaster

I wish we could get these in the States.

I love my C2, and I know at some point it will need to be replaced.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:57 pm
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

You CAN get it in the US, as I did, but you have to order it from abroad.

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode