The homefront squabble: Santiago verses Comfortshell - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 3:18 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The homefront squabble: Santiago verses Comfortshell

I've got both, however....

LOL wants one for a trip overseas. She can't have both due to $$$ (I'm cheap, but there are logical reasons as follow that don't count when arguing with a woman! Ugh!).

The thing is we are thinking of visiting homeland in Scotland next summer. I know the ComfortShell can go without a water-proof liner where the Santiago cannot. Plus 1 for ComfortShell.

The Santiago has more pockets, an adjustable waistband (she has a smaller waist and is proud to show it off verses the wider ComfortShell and none adjsutable, just the liners adds a whole lot of bulk as would the Santiago pants and liner to the airline baggage. The Comfort Shell is better for that. Plus, she prefers the yellow color of the Santiago over the blue or black of the ComfortShell. Plus 1 for her.

ComfortShell can go with just one heated liner (Warm-n-Safe) and no BMW zip-in Gore-Tex liner. No need to stop. Take-off jacket. Insert liner. Go 15 miles. Remove it and start over. Big plus, maybe 2?

I'm thinking the Comfort Shell would be best for the trip.

She wants and likes the yellow Santiago which I think is too much bulk and, given the rain or shine in minutes weather, might not be the best selection. Although it looks better one her. The blue or black ComfortShells don't suit her.

So argument is:
Looks = her selection.
Practicality = mine.

Anyway, short of putting her in a Santiago and spraying her with a hose, any wimmen-type logic to get her to switch?

If the words, "I told you so" should ever come from my mouth it would be a long, cold winter.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 7:20 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

Anyway, short of putting her in a Santiago and spraying her with a hose, any wimmen-type logic to get her to switch?

If the words, "I told you so" should ever come from my mouth it would be a long, cold winter.

Mack
sorry..........what exactly is this "wimmen-type logic" you speak of ??

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Addict-oholic

Go with the Santiago. Buy an inexpensive 1 or 2 piece rainsuit to go over it when needed ( seldom) only in a heavy downpour. My Santiago does 3 season duty including showers.

You must please the lady!!!!!!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 10:30 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Go with the Santiago. Buy an inexpensive 1 or 2 piece rainsuit to go over it when needed (seldom) only in a heavy downpour. My Santiago does 3 season duty including showers.

You must please the lady!!!!!!!
Yeah, I think you're right.

Just that the extra rain gear will add packing problems since rental bikes usually only have two bags: mine (some of it), and hers along with some of mine.

Maybe the ComfortShell pants and the Santiago jacket? I don't know if they are interchangeable offhand. At least that would get rid of the rain pants or liner. I'll need to compare the zippers and stuff between the two.

Myself, I like the looks of the Santiago as does she. More practical in that it has pockets, and arm and waist straps that snug it down from flapping. More ventilation zippers. It just fits better. However, the fact is the ComfortShell sheds water like a duck without other $$$ gear and added packing bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
sorry..........what exactly is this "wimmen-type logic" you speak of ??
Their logic is still a mystery to me...and seems to be a mystery to a lot of other men too.

It's usually the, "I'm right. You're wrong," and in this case, "I really like this, even though that may be more practical." Ugh!!

Can't win. Maybe I'm not supposed to.

Mack
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 7:57 am

Rule #1 - The woman is always right

+1 on Santiago with over suit for rain. I have one from HD that folds up very small, both together will fit in a lunch box.

I have never found logic to be a good argument point with the wife, however, if you can add in it makes her look old, fat, or like her mother you have a winner.

Then for you, get her some thongs or the short boxer type undies.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 10:06 am

Take your stuff to Scotland in a couple water proof soft bags with some bungey cords thrown in, then stap your soft bags on the back of the two bagger rental rental bike.
So, aside from looking like refugees on the bike you have lots of space for your clean undies and her stuff too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 10:28 am
Enthusiast

The best choice is to let her decide which one she wants. If you try to influence her decision then it's going to be all your fault when something comes up she doesn't like. My wife wears a Rev'it! outfit which wasn't my first choice for her, but I like it because she does. And she doesn't complain about the jacket or pants because she picked them out.

'03 K1200GT

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2008, 1:30 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
The best choice is to let her decide which one she wants. If you try to influence her decision then it's going to be all your fault when something comes up she doesn't like. My wife wears a Rev'it! outfit which wasn't my first choice for her, but I like it because she does. And she doesn't complain about the jacket or pants because she picked them out.

That is the best solution. Let her make the choice !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2009, 5:25 am

GMack - As you are coming back to Scotland you should remember that the only outfit trully de rigueur is the 8 yard kilt (lightweight enough not to soak up too much mountain dew: but short enough to dry off fluttering behind a moving bike) which in itself solves your quandry over luggage: No space is required your undercrackers if you are wearing the kilt. That is a freedom that Mel Gibson could only dream off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2009, 8:08 am
Addict

I see you made mistake 101, at some point she must have asked how she looks in the comfort shell, and you didn't give the right answer. After twenty 26 years of marriage I've learned there is only one answer. Seriously, you have to let her wear whatever she wants or you will never hear the end of it. It doesn't matter that your worried she will be wet and uncomfortable, her only concern is will the comfort shell make her look fat. If she takes pride in her appearance, she will never let that suit hide all her hard work, so go with the flow, and buy the santiago, then count yourself lucky that she is concerned how she looks on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suit-Santiago3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	9863  

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode