Winter Socks suggestions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Winter Socks suggestions

Need some socks recommendations for riding in cooler wx..non electric and ones that don't make your feet sweat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:29 pm
Addict

Good wool hunting socks are my pick. Wool makes me itch so i go for the wool with cotton lining. The knee high ones help keep the calfs warm too. Camo is optional. Tho I always carry camo toilet paper, hate to be mistook for a whitetail and shot. www.cabelas.com or any sporting goods store. Even Walmart has some this time of year.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 7:51 pm
Enthusiast

I have a pair of fleece socks I wear over my cotton socks,they work pretty well.Sometimes I'll put silk knee socks on first,seems to keep my feet drier with the silks on.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 4:43 am

Gn/bn

The bad news is that those whose feet sweat cannot solve that situation with socks alone. It requires an acceptance that moisture management is a multi-layered (pun) endeavor. And those whose feet do not sweat don't know what advice is useful. My feet sweat, so here goes.

In the Army for 30 years of Infantry-foot soldier experiences; years of hunting in the NorthEast (cold wet) and Southeast (warm wet); riding for 37 years. (Credentials!)

An undersock in a thin layer. Modern fabrics that wick are great, but I have found old guy nylon over the calf socks to work well. Covered by merino or similar good blend wool in medium weight. All into a well prepared and breathable leather boot -that leaves your feet room to swell and fit. Tight boots are bad. Waterproof boots are challenging.

I've been buying my socks from hiking gear stores-REI, EMS, HTO etc or from Aerostich - Smart Wool, UniMax, etc. It is more expensive, but my feet are happy. And you know what they say about that! I wear Army style combat boots and religiously prepare and maintain the leather and I wear good real leather riding boots prepared the same way.

Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 6:31 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Winter Socks Suggestions

"In the Army for 30 years of Infantry-foot soldier experiences; years of hunting in the NorthEast (cold wet) and Southeast (warm wet); riding for 37 years. (Credentials!)"

I bet your combat boots looked like you had walked in the Great Salt Lake (Salt stains)..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:54 am

Talking

I wear a pair of thin wicking socks under the wool socks, and within my winter boots which are 1/2 size larger than summer boots, I put in the smallest size heatpack, just above my toes. Since the heatpacks only warms up with oxygen exposure, when my feet gets cold, I wiggle my toes to get blood circulation in them and few seconds the heatpacks warms up. The smallest heatpacks usually work for me 6-8 hours, I have yet to leave them in my boots long enough to have the heating effect run out for good. No wires, no electrics.. I buy three dozen of them for $25.00 at the surplus store.

I never had a problem with socks waddingup in my toes..

Master your environment, and you will survive just fine.
Chances favor the prepared mind.

Last edited by cat0020; Dec 8th, 2005 at 9:31 am.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:01 am
Addict

i tryed multilayering socks, silk, nylon etc. and found they wadded up in my toes and just pissed me off. whats the trick to keeping them in place? Staple gun?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:40 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Sock Suggestions..

"I never had a problem with socks waddingup in my toes.."

Hey Theo..was that your problem at the Turkey Pro..tight socks... :>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode