BMW System 6 helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 8:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

BMW System 6 helmet

While touring abroad, I dropped into a BMW dealer and made an impulse purchase of the new System 6 helmet. On my journey home, I could not believe the improved quietness and visibility of the new helmet. I recently took my K1200GT to my local dealer (130 mile trip) for a service.
It rained the whole way and my positive impressions of the helmet disappeared.
I could see more water coming down the inside of the visor than what was running down the outside. It came to a point that as the "pinlock" became wet, the helmet fogged up and became so dangerous to ride with, that I had to continue my journey with the visor in the "up" position.

On arrival at my dealer, I explained my problem and he informed me that the upper seal was faulty and kindly replaced the helmet.

On my way home I could notice some air coming into my eyes and as I neared home, it began to rain again. The helmet leaked slightly and when I arrived home I dried off the outside of the helmet, placed it in the BMW helmet cover and locked it in the pannier. The following day I discovered that the paintwork on this replacement helmet had blistered and I made arrangements to return to my dealer.

As the rain poured again, the journey up was exactly the same as before(visor leaking). Luckilly I had my 2 year old Shoei helmet in my pannier.

On arrival at the dealer, he informed me that BMW would not replace the helmet as "THEY DO NOT MARKET IT AS BEING WATERTIGHT" He had to take the hit on my old helmet.

This is meant to be a quality product, but if this is BMW's attitude to stand by their products, I will never consider any accessories supplied by them. They can keep system 7 and 8 too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:13 am
Veteran

It would probably go good with the new BMW switch gear...all indications are that BMW is cutting coast and they are in the market for cheap shit to get them by...To maintain a bottom line a co. will do what ever it takes even if it involves screwing the customer...I could tell some great stories but my job would be on the line...but i am a firm believer that sooner or later the truth shows...and in my case it will show very soon...and BMW aint no different than any other business...red flags?...watch for them....not to say that sales drops and complaints wont wake them up but who knows
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:21 am
Addict-oholic

Guess, I will stick with my system 4 as it ios very watertight and airtight. getting replacement visors is a bitch as i have to call my french cousin who orders them from the paris BMW dealer. Lucky he or I see each other 4 or 5 times a year.
I also like my Nolan(bigger visor area)

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2010, 4:43 am
Addict

I imported a System 6 into Australia as they're not sold here, to replace my System 5 (with a dark visor, the best looking helmet on Earth!)
As per your comments, lighter, quieter, and now it's settled in, better fitting than the System 5.
I too have experienced the leaking visor, but I have no hope of any replacement parts.
It hasn't been enough to put me off, but it's certainly an issue I'm aware of. Still a great helmet, especially in the dry!
I got one size larger than System 5, and its still a snug fit, but better than the S5.

Ken.
P.S Also hate the new BMW switch gear and brake fluid reservoirs

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2011, 11:48 pm
Addict

G'day fellas.
Well, my bloody near new System 6 also leaks on the inside of the visor. The issue is the lower left area of the visor does not completely close tight against the seal. I can't get it to close no matter what I try, and while not as bad a leak as the thread authors, it's very poor design from a BMW item and dangerous when you can't see due to drops on th inside of the visor. Unfortunately, as the helmet is not sold in Australia, I had to import mine and I think I will get no BMW Australia support re this, so won't even try.
I ordered a new Shoei RF1100 which I know won't leak!, and the System 6 will be used for around town trips only when I know I wont get wet. Very disapointing as I only ever purchase BMW riding gear, and it was my fourth BMW helmet.

Best wishes all.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:25 am

I've been using my System 6 helmet for two seasons now. At least there is one helmet in the world that does not leak, and belive me, I've not been riding in sunshine only.

As far as quality goes, this helmet is more or less a Schubert Concept 3, with minor differences.
One thing though, in order to close the visor properly I have to use a firm grip on the visor to pull it passed the final closed notch. If I merely close it like any other helmet, it will appear to be closed, but the visor is not properly closed. By pulling passed the final click, the visor ads pressure to the seal at the top of the helmet.

At first I had to use both hands, but now, two years later, I am able to close the visor by a single grip.

My 2c
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 9:45 pm

I guess I can count myself lucky. If I remember right this is the 2nd such post about the Sys 6 lid in not too long a time period. I brought mine back last spring and used it a lot until this last December. I got stuck in the rain, soft and hard, a number of times. Never had a drop leak anyway. Sorry to hear about yours.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2012, 5:18 am
Rookie

Greetings all.

Can't say how dissapointed I am to hear such poor quality stories about the System 6. I'll be asking my local BMW dealer if they can loan me a "demo" model to appraise. No demo, no potential purchase. I am however, looking forward to trying to New Shoei NeoTek. This flippie sounds like it is everything that the lemon BMW system 6 isn't.

Cheers and kindest regards.

1999 K1200LT (Bismarck)
1983 K100 #0000625 (Bavarian Belle)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2012, 9:57 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Did not know about the new Shoei. It does indeed look like a fine helmet. I have been partial to Shoei helmets because I think they are well made and they fit my head. I may have to buy myself a Christmas gift!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2012, 1:28 pm
Enthusiast

It would appear that like the Bikes, you can be lucky or unlucky. For me the System 6 has been a joy, no leaks (Yet?), and most definately the quietest helmet I have ever used. I have the Bluetooth system integrated and can quite easily hear and be heard on the phone at motorway speeds. Its weird as my old Schuberth C2 which was also marketed at the time as the quitest flip was probably the noisiest helmet Ive ever owned, my Shoei Multitec was actually quieter.

A lot is obviously down to the bike and the screen, the System 6 and my Calsci seem to make a good match on the GT.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode