Keis X4 Heated Bodywarmer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 7:51 am Thread Starter

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Keis X4 Heated Bodywarmer

Have posted this on the main K12 board as my original query related to the Canbus socket but thought I would also post here in case anyone was looking for a little information on the product itself:

"To settle the earlier debate - having just done 125 miles at around 7-8 celsius (not terribly cold I know) I had the vest on full power most of the way and it worked directly from the accessory socket beautifully. As the ambient temperature wasn't that low it was actually uncomfortably hot at times (especially when slowed) and as soon as I hit the outskirts of Dublin and pulled up at lights I quickly flicked it down to medium.

When I first bought it (a few days ago) I was a little wary of it as there are only 3 heat panels in the vest - one large one in the back and two chest panels at the front. I am pleased to report that this has the net effect of making your whole body feel warm rather than just these isolated places. In addition, there are no wire elements running through the vest like traditional kit - the heat is instead passed through woven carbon panels. This means that the whole thing is washable and much thinner and lighter than the Gerbing stuff. My local BMW dealer has started stocking them as well so they can't be half bad.

The vest is windproof, waterproof and breathable, has a lovely luxurious soft fleece lining, two front pockets (also fleece lined) and as previously stated, is washable (by hand).

There are numerous accessories already available for it including the cigarette lighter connection lead (you get a direct battery connection wiring harness with the vest), 2 different lengths of extension lead (300mm & 600mm), a Y-splitter to allow you to run 3 products off one connection, heated insoles and heated glove liners. The free temperature controller that you can get with them at the moment on promotion has 3 settings (high, medium and low as well as an on/off button) and lights up when it's on so you can see at a glance where you have it set and confirm it is still on (this normally costs 29.99 without the promotion). Without the controller the vest is either on full or off. On full power it runs at around 65 degrees and around 45 on low. There are 2 different sizes of rechargeable lithium-ion battery packs available for it - a 3-5hr and a 7-12hr and both have a built-in LED torch. This means you can also use the vest off the bike for walking, fishing, skiing, etc.

A great price too compared to the Gerbing stuff - they retail at 90.

All in all very, very pleased at the moment (although this morning was my first time to use it properly) and I think it will definitely make winter more bearable this year.

There's a good review of it on the MCN website which can also be accessed through the Keis website here: www.keisapparel.co.uk"

I would also like to add that the battery harness that came with the vest has a 5A in-line fuse attached which would seem to suggest that the vest is putting out less than 60W as otherwise it would blow the fuse (with my limited electrical knowledge). The vest is currently running directly from the Canbus socket with no problem whatsoever although if you started adding other things to it (like insoles, glove liners, etc.) you would have to use the battery harness (I would imagine).

If you're in the UK you can buy the vest from any branch of Hein Gericke (along with all the accessories) or off the web on the Motohaus website.

Just to be clear - I have no affiliation with Keis whatsoever - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Hope this is helpful,

Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 7:52 am Thread Starter

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Dear all - just a quick update on the vest as we are now well and truly in the depths of winter here in Ireland (-14 in Co. Carlow a week or so ago!!) and beginning to come out the other end (yippee!!).

Having worn it every day since purchase on various power settings according to the conditions, pleased to report that it hasn't faltered and is a great piece of kit - still very happy (not a great story I know but nonetheless important if you're thinking of buying one).

I ended up installing the battery harness after all and routed it down the left side between the fairing and the tank - saved a lot of messing about trying to remove bodywork, etc.

It turns out to be one of those items that make you wonder very quickly how you ever managed without it.

Best wishes all,

Darren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode