Truly Waterproof Outer Shell - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Truly Waterproof Outer Shell

I am looking for truly waterproof jacket and pants with a truly waterproof outer shell -- not interested in needing a waterproof lining. Intent is to wear over street clothes most of the time. Want decent venting. I have read a gazillion reviews and forums about waterproof outer shells that come with a fully waterproof liner -- makes me skeptical (why do you need a waterproof liner if you have a waterproof shell???)

For every suit that I research that I think is the Holy Grail, I read a few forum reviews of stories saying they leak.

Most suits you have to buy, have shipped to you, hope they fit and work -- if they don't, you have to pray that the manufacturer will take it back.

HELP!!! WHAT IS THE BEST IN YOUR EXPERIENCE??? Waterproof and comfortable (cost not an object). Manufacturer will take it back if you don't like it.

Aerostitch, BMW Comfort Shell, Hein Gericke, Rukka, Rev'it Infinity/Cayenne, Olympia Phantom One-piece, Firstgear.... etc etc etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Noob

Rukka

I have had several Rukka suits - currently and SRO anatomic. All Rukka suits that I have experienced have been waterproof. And, importantly - very comfortable even on 16+ hour days.

I did have an issue with fading of the "Cool" fabric material. I have heard that BMW also has had some problems with the same material. The suit was very promptly completely replaced and I was given a loaner suit to use in the interim.

Customer Service was excellent to deal with. Probably important since the warranty is for 5 years.

I have noted in Europe that often the stores selling Rukka products have loaner suits to try before you buy. And, I mean actually take the suit out and ride in it for a reasonable time period - like a few days.

Just my 2 cents -

Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 10:54 am
Enthusiast

No leaks AT ALL with my Comfort Shell, the price is a bit steep, but you do get what you pay for. If you want them over your pants just get a larger size.... It has been in the 90's here lately and it is rather warm if you are sitting still.....

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 12:09 pm
Noob

BMW Street Guard 3 if fully waterproof, Frabic fades from sun, I have had mine replaced 3 times. Somewhat stiff and heavy to carry but very comfortable to ride in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 6:39 pm
Noob

ComfortShell

Been through downpours with the comfort shell with no leaks. Very comfortable and nice suit. It is practically a year-round suit for me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 9:22 pm

I have the Comfort shell pants and the First Gear jacket. Both have held up during big rains. I wear the Comfort shell as pants, though, not over pants, but like others say, just get a bigger size. Size matters.

good luck.

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 7:04 am
Enthusiast

Oh! I wanted to add that the Comfort Shell has excellent protection in the event you find yourself sliding across the road sans bike....

I've never experienced a leak even in heavy rain. It's also great because you aren't forced to bring extra raingear with you on trips and no stopping to throw raingear on. It's your everyday gear. All you have to do is zip the vents closed and your good to go.

My everyday gear is BMW's AirFlow Boot, Comfort Shell Jacket and Pant and BMW's Airflow Gloves. If the forecast is for more than a 30% chance of rain I wear BMW's Pro Touring Boots and store a set of First Gear waterproof gloves in a sidecase. In a severe storm I stay dry with the exception of my head. The helmet seems to leak....

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've been through the Rev'it line and although their line is a decent quality I haven't had great luck with it. I started out with their Ignition Jacket but it has all the liners and it doesn't really keep you dry. Their air jacket was nice, but stopping to put the liner in that didn't really keep you dry was a waste of time. I also went through about 4 pair of their boots in 2 years. I ride about 15k miles a year and their stuff didn't hold up well. I caught their saleman as he was visiting my local shop and asked him why their gear wasn't holding up. His comment was that it wasn't designed for the type of use I was putting on it. In comparison, I've been down twice with the CS and once each with the Pro Touring and Airflow boots, and they are still in decent shape. I gave my old Rev'it gear away.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Last edited by mrlajoie; May 28th, 2010 at 7:11 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode