Japanese helmets from Japan - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2010, 5:11 am Thread Starter
Addict

Japanese helmets from Japan

Anyone know if there are any major differences between the JDM Arai/Shoei helmets and the USDM version?

I'm currently in Japan, and WOW, prices are much cheaper.
Arai Vector graphics can be had for under $350 after taxes, Helmet Harbor sells it for over $100 more,
Arai Corsair V graphics are about $650,
OGK FF5 graphics are like $350...

I'm probably going to pick up some RS Taichi or Kushitani leathers as well as a new helmet while I'm here...

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2010, 9:07 am
JCW
contributor

Oh man, I wouldn't mind picking up a Kushatani leathers, too.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2010, 1:59 pm
Veteran

I believe that the Japanese Arai is both Snell 2010 certified and ECE should be marked as sure on the rear of the helmet. I would make Sure to try on what ever you plan on buying since the interior shell shape may be different to better fit asians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2010, 3:29 pm
Addict

That's a very valid point!

I bought some dust masks recently from a cheap discount store only to find they wouldn't fit my face! I suspect these were a bulk buy of SARS masks from Asia.

On the helmet front, Their cities are pretty congested and they have quite a lot of low to middle speed bike accidents, so I would guess their helmets must work!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:00 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
That's a very valid point!

I bought some dust masks recently from a cheap discount store only to find they wouldn't fit my face! I suspect these were a bulk buy of SARS masks from Asia.

On the helmet front, Their cities are pretty congested and they have quite a lot of low to middle speed bike accidents, so I would guess their helmets must work!
Dust masks make me think of the ones that are shaped like a cup and cover your face...
almost all masks in asia are rectangle shaped w/ elastic on the ends that loop around the ears, and are only meant to cover the nose and mouth... Also, they're not only used for SARS, they're used whenever anyone is sick, or on a bad pollution day.

anyways, back on topic... I don't think there are different shell sizes specifically for the Asian market... the Asian market just probably purchases more XS-M sizes, and the big-headed US market purchases more M-XXL sizes... but regardless, good thing I'm Asian, but I do wear an XL sized helmet.

As for leathers... almost all the US-made stuff seems to be too large for me. I have a Joe Rocket leather speedmaster jacket, and it's the smallest size they had... 38, still a bit loose. WTF? I'm 5'10" and 165.... average asian in asia is like 5'8" and 140... The Japanese leathers should fit me better. Probably why RS Taichi has "Japanese" and "non-asian" sizing measurements for their suits, but I probably fall somewhere in between

-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2010, 7:41 am Thread Starter
Addict

Went to the store today...

1. Helmet sizes are exactly the same as they are in the US... I tried on an OGK FF5, Shoei X-12, Arai RR5...

2. Funny thing is, Arai helmets are a bit CHEAPER than Shoei's the RR's (Corsair 5's) are going for about 50k jpy while the X-12 is going for over 60k jpy. OGK FF5's were much cheaper at about 35k, and

3. Anyone ever heard of the Motorhead brand?
http://driverstand.com/tenpo/top/motorhead/helmet.html

-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters

Last edited by aznatama; Jun 20th, 2010 at 7:47 am.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

So, I ended up buying an OGK FF5V. This hemet is awsome. At approx. 300, and being helmet of the year for wBW (ff5), I think this was a great buy. Can't wait to test it out when I go home in the summer.

From what I can gather from the literature online is that the main differences between the FF5 and the FF5V is:

1. new composite shell
2. improved aerodynamics to reduce turbulence
3. Coolmax inner liner
4. comes with Pinlock fog-free system installed

Fit seems to be a little bit tighter than the FF5 L that I tried on in the store, but once it's on, it's very comfortable, similar to my old Shoei TZ-1.

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 in L at home, but it feels a bit too narrow for me, the FF5v is perfect.

I have room in my luggage for an additional 1 helmet when I go back to the states in August, so if anyone is interested, I can get one for you. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acc.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	12265   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	12266  

-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode