armor, padding or nothing in pants - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

armor, padding or nothing in pants

I have not been able to find something to wear over my work slacks when I commute to/from work, so I wear chaps which go on/off pretty easily. I wanted some mesh pants for the summer with hip and knee protection but I guess being short and 36+ish" waist with only a 29" inseam is a odd size. All the over pants I try, have the knee pads around my ankles.

So I am looking at custom leather pants with long zippers on the side to easily get in/out of, I have a choice of no padding or padding. Its not real armor, just some foam sewn in between 2 layers of leather.

Is the foam worth it ? Should I really push elsewhere for some armor ?

I have been riding 35+ years now, starting with shorts and t-shirt in my much younger days moving up to plain heavy leather pants over the years. Being in S. Calif. and since my bike is my primary commuter all year long, I just feel I need better protection as I get older.

I may still have to find some mesh over pants down the road but these leather pants since they go on/off easily will work very well for my commute probably all year long, I can handle the leather on a hot day for the commute pretty easily. HOT weekends might still push me into jeans but rest of the year, I could wear these with shorts underneath and not be forced to walk around town in leather pants on a 100+ day.

Its just the protection that is stopping me, am I being a little crazy ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:41 pm
Addict

Wear riding pants, change into your slacks at work.
Or you can always get overpants, plenty of options around.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

I don't have a place to change at work and its a school so the boys room is not someplace you want to put anything on the floor besides the bottoms of your shoes.

And if I could find overpants that FIT I would not be considering this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2011, 12:41 am
Addict

Nurse's office? gym locker room? I think a 36" waist should be easy to find pants large enough to fit over your slacks, and you can just hem the bottom for the 19" inseam.

other than that, I can't think of any other alternative. the leather will give you some abrasion protection, but not very useful in absorbing any sort of impact. I guess you'll just have to risk it.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 6:36 pm
Addict

Get some right-sized aerostich pants, they aren't vented but not very hot, they also have light weights for summer. Well padded, ugly, but they work. I wore those for about 6-7 years before switching to BMW santiago's, which I like 100x better. They don't go over dress pants though and you have to remove the boots to get them off. But they make my butt look so good

Commuting from santa monica to HB for about a year there, its just too scary riding without armor.

I crashed for the first time a couple years ago and would be dead without all the gear on that I wear (zero road rash on me or the missus).

ya, its a pain...til you crash!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2011, 4:48 pm
Addict

Check out Motoport, they're in SoCal. I bought a pair of their overpants for commuting 10 years ago, I use them everyday and they are still going strong. They custom build the pants to fit you so your sizing won't matter. I have the 1000 denier Cordura pants and they are very breathable. On the rare 100 deg days, I bring shorts with me to work and wear the shorts under the overpants for the evening commute. I've been down in the pants once and they held up great. They also have a lot of padding in the knee/shin and hip/thighs.

I've been wanting to upgrade my pants to the kevlar version but the damn things are so well built that it's hard to spend the money when my old ones are still perfectly good.

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode