Regretting my new Shoei - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2011, 12:34 pm Thread Starter
DOA

Regretting my new Shoei

From the reviews and past experience I went with a Shoei Spirit over my normal Arai Signet. Big mistake, the helmet is deafening over 100 MPH, and loud at 90. High speed rides are downright unpleasant. I am back to using my Arai except for commutes where I seldom get over 90.

Anyone else have success or fails with the Shoei? Is it my head or is the Arai that much quieter? My previous Shoei was fine, but that was 15 years ago and I was going much slower. The K1200s has upped my speeds quite a bit while still holding a large safety margin.

Last edited by DOA; Sep 17th, 2011 at 12:41 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I have a Shoei Multitec and like it, but I have NEVER found a helmet - any helmet - that was quiet enough at more than about 50-60 mph. For anything more than riding the three blocks to the hardware store, I wear foam earplugs all the time. I have a Scala Rider bluetooth helmet setup, and I find that the foam earplugs cancel the wind roar well enough that I can have fairly normal telephone conversations as long as the volume is all the way up. I'd love to try the new Schuberth helmet with the bluetooth neckroll option, but that's about $1K all together, and I just don't have that kind of money for a new helmet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Thumbs up

I wear an RF-1100 and am very happy with it, but like Chuck I always wear earplugs or noise isolating in-ear speakers on anything more than my 3 mile commute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:52 am

Only experience is with Shoei. Friends have Arai and they indicate the fit is very different. Old helmet TZ-R and new X-12 (Spirit perhaps in UK) The info on Webbikeworld was pretty accurate. The TZ-R is overall quieter but with different frequencies. It allowed lower bass sounding frequencies of wind noise to intrude. Ear plugs have a hard time blocking that. The X12 has much more of the hiss of wind. Ear plugs do a nice job of that. I have also noticed the X 12 is much more comfortable to ride with in dirty air. It seems a lot smoother with less head bobbing. Overall I am pleased. But yes, it does have more air noise. The ear plugs I use are the bright green shaped Fluets. I have heard that if a helmet doesn't fit well on head shape it can become a much noisier helmet Good luck getting yours sorted out.

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Noob

Shoei

I have just bought a shoei multitec and find it the most comfortable and quietist helmet i have ever had. My other helmet is the new arai quantum but the multitech is much better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 9:23 am
Enthusiast

I have the Schuberth C3 and it is by far the quietest helmet I've ever used.

Initial Success, or Total Failure.
'08 K1200GT (Adventurin Silver)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 4:43 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I have both the Shoei R1000 and Arai Signet.
Both fit well and are reasonable quiet, but normally I ride with ear plugs.

I wear glasses, clipon shades are polarized and show all the stress colors in the face shields, so a dark shield is needed during the day. The ease of shield changing of the Shoei makes it the preferred helmet if its a day and night ride
The next helmet will be modular with the sun shield.

By the way most of Canada is 36 kph over and a $10,000 fine, vehicle seizure, and jail time. Here in the US they just want the revenue and will take you card on the spot in alot of places.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2012, 10:29 am
Addict

I had a Shuberth starting to get tatty so I bought a Shoei Raid II. Not the most expensive in their range, but sufficient wrong to put me off another Shoei. I still have the Schuberth and I might just get some new linings for it. Here are my cons on the Shoei, although not all models are the same:

1. I thought their pin visor anti misting was a smart idea, until I rode with it and the top junction was too low down and got in the way. Never had a misting problem with the Schuberth without the fancy double glazed visor.

2. The Schuberth comes with a pair of nice pockets and space in the shell for helmet speakers. I struggled to get 30mm speakers in the Shoei.

3. The Schuberth had lost its quietness until I bought the Shoei and found out why. Both helmets have a flexible neck skirt (whisper skirt/), although standard with Schuberth, it is an extra on the Raid II. I ordered the Shoei skirt and sound difference was like black and white - very much improved. Comparing the two skirts, the Shoei is cheaper and would fit my Schuberth. Puling the helmet over your ears can be painful at first and there is a knack to learn.

4. I have the stock KRS screen and even though the Shoei has vent flaps here and there, they do not seem to bring in as much air as the Schuberth.

My Shoei helmet shell is very light. After getting a good neck seal, I think the rest of the noise is due to the composition and weight of the shell. My heavier helmets have always been quieter.

It is always hard to judge helmets in comparisons or shoot out reviews, because part of the way they work depends on the bike airflow and rider height. I don't think the front end and stock screen of the KRS is that good and you can soon find a buffet point. Some designs have an aerofoil on top or at the rear to reduce this. The rear foil on my Schuberth made the K screen buffet noise worse and I took it off, popping some black plastic plugs into their fixing holes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2012, 4:25 pm
Rip
Noob

Shoei for me

I bought the Shoei Qwest and love the helmet. Went to the NYC mc show in Jan, and tried nearly all the helmets they had at the show. The top of the line Aria I didn't bother trying since they were way more than I wanted to pay.
The Qwest is more quiet than the RF 1100 because of less venting and more of a touring helmet. I can not confirm this,since I only tried it on in the show, but other posts I have read said the same.
If you live in the south maybe more vents like the RF is the way to go and you can take out the liner to wash.
The Shoei fit my head the best, I liked the look and color scheme and it costs $370 at the show, far less than anywhere I could find on the interenet.
I love my helmet and I don't leave home without it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 10:54 am

Hearing Protection?

You didn't mention and no one has asked but.....

Are you wearing hearing protection?

I've never found a helmet that was quiet enough to go without ear plugs.

That alone could solve the problem if you are not using them.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode