Rukka APR3/AirVantage - Cleaning Instructions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Rukka APR3/AirVantage - Cleaning Instructions

I own the Rukka APR3 jacket with AirVantage vest/liner and accompanying pants/liner. I am ready to clean/wash these items for the first time. Because of the nutty amount of money spent on them want to ensure that I do it correctly (the care labels on the gear are limited at best) so as not to affect them adversely.

Anyone else out there own Rukka gear and if so how have you cleaned them in the past (especially the AirVantage vest/liner)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

I've been looking at the APR3. Do you also own the pants? If you had to do it again, would you purchase this? If so, why do you think it's worth the price?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2006, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Rukka APR3

I own both the jacket and pants and recommend them highly. Prior to this suit I had to have three different suits for the different weather conditions/temperatures that we ride in here in Calgary, Canada. Last season I was able to ride throughout the season with just the Rukka gear - from 30F through to 90+F. The only thing I had to do for the really cold weather was add a bacalva (sp?) for my neck/chin and a thermal long-sleeved shirt.

I got my suit from Dave at Gear Up Motosports (www.gearupnride.com). He was an informative and patient resource in assisting me with my purchase.

You will not regret buying this suit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brothers
I've been looking at the APR3. Do you also own the pants? If you had to do it again, would you purchase this? If so, why do you think it's worth the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 2:50 am
Enthusiast

Rukka APR3

I've had the Rukka gear for almost two riding seasons now. Great stuff. I bought the APR Force trousers because I wanted the Goretex built in to the trousers. I didn't want to have to stop and drop trou just to gear up. I put the pants and jacket in the washing machine with Nik Wash (or whatever it's called). You can get it from the people who sell Darien. I think it's Riderwarehouse.com. The stuff washes great, comes out looking like new.

LAR Six
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:21 pm
Rookie

Rukka suit

Rukka Suit is cool but offers absoutely no protection in the seat area in the event of a crash. I laid my K12S down in W.Va. and slid down the road on my ass at 45mph. It wore through the seat of the Rukka pants like they were tissue paper. Also wore through my underwear and left me with bleeding buttocks. The jacket wasn't totally destroyed but is certainly the worse for wear. If I had been wearing my roadcrafter suite with jeans underneath I"m sure I would not have received any road rash. I guess it depends on why you are wearing the suit. If you want to be cool and look cool wear the Rukka. If you want protection wear leathers or the Roadcrafter. I've elected to wear the Roadcrafter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2006, 4:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadherb
Rukka Suit is cool but offers absoutely no protection in the seat area in the event of a crash. I laid my K12S down in W.Va. and slid down the road on my ass at 45mph. It wore through the seat of the Rukka pants like they were tissue paper. Also wore through my underwear and left me with bleeding buttocks. The jacket wasn't totally destroyed but is certainly the worse for wear. If I had been wearing my roadcrafter suite with jeans underneath I"m sure I would not have received any road rash. I guess it depends on why you are wearing the suit. If you want to be cool and look cool wear the Rukka. If you want protection wear leathers or the Roadcrafter. I've elected to wear the Roadcrafter.
I agree on the leathers and want to point out another advantage. My textile goro-tex suit used to soak up an incredible amount of water in a really good rain. I was dry but the suit weighed a ton and took three days to dry. My water resistent leathers with goro-tex keep me just as dry and the leather is dry in about a half hour.

05 K1200GT Titanium Silver Metallic
I'm living well above my means, but far below my standards.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2007, 6:49 pm

How to wash Rukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy451
I own the Rukka APR3 jacket with AirVantage vest/liner and accompanying pants/liner. I am ready to clean/wash these items for the first time. Because of the nutty amount of money spent on them want to ensure that I do it correctly (the care labels on the gear are limited at best) so as not to affect them adversely.

Anyone else out there own Rukka gear and if so how have you cleaned them in the past (especially the AirVantage vest/liner)?

Thanks.
Forget trying to analyze care labels. Here's the scoop. Keep it simple. Cold water, gentle cycle, little or no detergent (NikWash, even Woolite works). Most important, remove ALL armor including the backpad. Avoid the dryer. Squeeze out water gently by hand or roll in a towel. Hang dry. For more info contact us www.trophycycleapparel.com, [email protected], 800-315-9935. We have been an authorized Rukka dealer for over over 7 years, stand by the product and are here to help you.

Trophy Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:02 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyMike
Forget trying to analyze care labels. Here's the scoop. Keep it simple. Cold water, gentle cycle, little or no detergent (NikWash, even Woolite works). Most important, remove ALL armor including the backpad. Avoid the dryer. Squeeze out water gently by hand or roll in a towel. Hang dry. For more info contact us www.trophycycleapparel.com, [email protected], 800-315-9935. We have been an authorized Rukka dealer for over over 7 years, stand by the product and are here to help you.

Trophy Mike
Nothing to add other than a compliment - as a Rukka owner it's nice to hear from Rukka dealer standing behind the product. Nicely done!

Brian
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2008, 6:02 pm
Veteran

I've ridden in an APR since the MOA Spokane rally in '04. Ditched my Stich and never looked back. The better half got a new APR this year. We love the stuff. Truly 4 season, "rounder" gear. I've ridden in the SW desert and across Newfoundland and only had to worry about one suit. The Stich in my opinion is an over-rated made in China POS that's like wearing an old canvas tent. We love our Rukkas.

And on another note, I had a 60 mph high-side in my Rukka. The jacket and pants took some abuse, no question, but there wasn't a mark on me. Not one. Broke my tibia, and wrote-off my Nolan, but not a scratch. The suit worked awesome. I returned it to Frank at Adventure Motorcycle Gear, he sent it back to Finland and well before the next riding season, it came back to me 100% as good as new. All the damaged panels were removed and replaced with new material. You could not tell what had been repaired, The stitching, fabric color, everything was perfect. It only cost me $250 to have these very professional, factory repairs done.

Not only is the Rukka the "world's most comfortable riding apparel", in my opinion it is unequivocally the "world's BEST riding apparel. Anybody who says anything different is either trolling or never actually tried it themselves.

It costs more, but it really is the ONLY riding apparel you need. Coupled with my Held kangaroo gloves, my Schuberth C2 and my Vendramini Marathon Steel, I'm ready for anything.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode