Winter Glove Debate - Again... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Winter Glove Debate - Again...

OK - so I've read (and re-read) every thread on this forum (and others) about the ideal cold weather/winter glove. Aside from heated gloves and hippo-hands it seems that the consensus is somewhere within the following gloves:

1. Rev-IT Celcius (http://www.revitusa.net/acatalog/info_FGW01400.html)
2. Held Hawk (http://www.held-usa.com/products/hawk.shtml)
3. Held Narvik (http://www.held-usa.com/products/narvik.shtml)
4. BMW ProWinter (http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/p...prowinter.html)
5. Lee Parks (http://www.leeparksdesign.com)

Which of the above gloves would you recommend and where did you purchase them from?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 3:42 pm
Enthusiast

Never owned any but I have read very good reviews on the ProWinter gloves.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 4:36 pm
"DELIVERS"

Wink

Get heated grips....that's the beauty of having them....regular gloves all year!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 6:27 pm
Addict

Remedy,

I've compared a number of the gloves you've listed, particularly the 2 Held gloves and the Rev'It's. The Rev'It's seemed the nicest of the lot (they didn't have my size at the time). I've owned both Held and Rev'It gloves (not winter) and they've both been of high quality and the attention to detail was great. I'd expect no less in any of the gloves you've listed. I've heard good things about the BMW and Lee Parks. I'm more partial to the Rev'It stuff - seems to fit good and wear well. The PCM material in the Celcius gloves is apparently a bit better than the other heat transfer material in the other brand gloves.

I recently purchased a pair of the TourMaster Winter Elite gloves, they're pretty decent but a bit thick for my taste.

Good luck - let us know whatcha get!

alow

p.s. And as milkman says - get the heated grips. Although seeing he's in California, I'd bet he doesn't ride in too many 20 degree days. At 20 degrees - heated grips only help your palms - not your fingers or tops of your hand - BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 6:45 pm
"DELIVERS"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishus
p.s. And as milkman says - get the heated grips. Although seeing he's in California, I'd bet he doesn't ride in too many 20 degree days. At 20 degrees - heated grips only help your palms - not your fingers or tops of your hand - BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
You're right about that, but I have ridden in 35 degree weather with regular gloves...the GT fairing keeps the wind off your hands which lets the heat do a better job.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 7:00 pm
Addict

Yea - it's not too bad. I commute from Cincinnati to Dayton a few times a week (~50 miles). When it's below 35, riding at 70-80 for 45-60 mins gets really chilly - even with the heated handgrips and fairing!

I took a page from the rain gear I've got - the gloves I recently got (the Tourmaster gloves) have a zipper on the gauntlet that contains an extra layer (kind of like a windbreaker jacket) that goes over the gloves. It works wonders! It does enough to stop the wind from seeping through the glove when it's really really cold out.

I'd still like to get the Rev'It Celcius gloves though - but oh well!

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Get heated grips....that's the beauty of having them....regular gloves all year!
Maybe in California you can.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:17 pm
Enthusiast

Gloves

Have had the Held Naviks and the Lee Parks PCIs. The Held are quite warm but way to thick/heavy for me. They are well built but I lost a great deal of feel in exchange for warmth. Very well constructed and sturdy.

In the end Sold the Narviks and got the Parks. Very warm and still retain the feel of the controls. Only problem I have had is getting in touch with Lee to get one of the gloves replaced as the stitching was not quite right when I purchased. Would I purchase again - yes.

Last edited by Ricbob; Jan 18th, 2006 at 10:18 pm. Reason: typo
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:48 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alowishus

Geez...you get edumacated, and then you forget. However...from the state that measures snow in feet, not inches, check out the weather in Truckee, California. Interstate 80, which is kept open most of the year except when the snow is falling at 18 inches per hour...then they close the road so the snow plows can work without regard to cages getting caught up in the plows...20 degrees? How 'bout zero? Yes...right here in California. Who woulda thought?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:53 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd
Maybe on the west coast of California you can.
Fixed!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode