Modular helmets... trying not to be cynical. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2012, 3:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Modular helmets... trying not to be cynical.

I just took my Caberg (remember them from about 8 years ago?) modular completely apart to give it a revamp, and discovered that one of the plastic posts inside the shell was broken. So, ordered a $600 Shoei Neotec, and discovered that the Shoei is basically constructed the same way--little Phillips head screws in plastic posts! Ah me.... sent the Shoei back to the dealer. Then improved the Caberg's fit by adding self-adhesive polyurethane foam to the EPS liner and fixed its broken post with a 4-40 countersunk screw. Discovered the chin-bar up-latch, which is a metal ball rubbing against the plastic chin bar near the pivot, is just wearing out. I expect it will last for another year or two and then not up-latch at all. Also discovered the Caberg shield (no scratches) had TINY BUBBLES INSIDE THE PLASTIC! Sent Caberg photos. They said the shield is past its useful life. Ordered a new shield from England.

Thoughts: Helmets, especially the modulars with all of their moving parts, are disposable, limited-life objects. Unless one is lucky enough to have a dealer who carries the replacement headliner, chin bar, etc., in order to replace all of their worn parts, they simply wear out. They are, in fact, designed to wear out. When buying a super-deluxe, extra-pricey modular helmet, that is something to keep in mind.

My next helmet will not be one of the expensive ones. It will be a name-brand, but less expensive, modular.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lsg2004visor4.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	13946  

BMBLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Addict

All helmets-not just modular-have a usable life of 5-/+ years. Not me saying-all manufactures and safety foundations. Trying to refurbish an old helmet is nothing I would do. A helmet is much more than nuts and bolts. My old ones go up on the shelf in the garage-nice to look at. There are Shoei's, Arai, Schuberth, AGV---------. My noggin is my most (well most of the time lol) valuable part. You don't have to get the most $$$ helmet, Just one that passes DOT and Snell tests. Not preaching-jmho..

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsgettier
I just took my Caberg (remember them from about 8 years ago?) modular completely apart to give it a revamp, and discovered that one of the plastic posts inside the shell was broken. So, ordered a $600 Shoei Neotec, and discovered that the Shoei is basically constructed the same way--little Phillips head screws in plastic posts! Ah me.... sent the Shoei back to the dealer. Then improved the Caberg's fit by adding self-adhesive polyurethane foam to the EPS liner and fixed its broken post with a 4-40 countersunk screw. Discovered the chin-bar up-latch, which is a metal ball rubbing against the plastic chin bar near the pivot, is just wearing out. I expect it will last for another year or two and then not up-latch at all. Also discovered the Caberg shield (no scratches) had TINY BUBBLES INSIDE THE PLASTIC! Sent Caberg photos. They said the shield is past its useful life. Ordered a new shield from England.

Thoughts: Helmets, especially the modulars with all of their moving parts, are disposable, limited-life objects. Unless one is lucky enough to have a dealer who carries the replacement headliner, chin bar, etc., in order to replace all of their worn parts, they simply wear out. They are, in fact, designed to wear out. When buying a super-deluxe, extra-pricey modular helmet, that is something to keep in mind.

My next helmet will not be one of the expensive ones. It will be a name-brand, but less expensive, modular.
Yep...every time you put it on the polystyrene (deceleration shell) gets compressed a little more and all the parts harden with age and exposure. I'm checking out the nolan for my next modular. Had an early model and it was bullett proof. The shoei modulars have not impressed me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsgettier

Yep...every time you put it on the polystyrene (deceleration shell) gets compressed a little more and all the parts harden with age and exposure. I'm checking out the nolan for my next modular. Had an early model and it was bullett proof. The shoei modulars have not impressed me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode