Quietest helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quietest helmet

I am currently wearing a Shoei TZ-1. To me the most important feature in a helmet is noise (assuming safety is a given). My TZ-1 seems ok but has a lot of wind noise from the bottom (maybe they all do) and some whistling around the shield.

Shopping for and reading about helmets, I find statements like "name brands are all pretty quiet" or "it depends on the rider and the bike, try different helmets". Well I can't afford to buy several $300 helmets and then choose one. So I thought I'd just keep my eyes open and eventually I'd hear about a new helmet that was super quiet and I'd buy it. Well it's been over a year and this hasn't happened. the only helmet I've ever seen a noise rating on is the schuberth and I don't know much about it.

So does anybody know of a rating system or any systematic test results published in Motorcycle magazines?

Thanks,
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 9:59 pm
Rookie

All helmets are noisy. To achieve a quiet ride you must invest in some good earplugs. Good earplugs will be some that were custom made to fit the shape of your ear. Off the shelf plugs will plug your ear but not fit your ear.

03 KRS BLACK
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siclmn
All helmets are noisy. To achieve a quiet ride you must invest in some good earplugs. Good earplugs will be some that were custom made to fit the shape of your ear. Off the shelf plugs will plug your ear but not fit your ear.

I just found an article in Rider (feb 06) discussing ear protection. They did a lot of testing of 27 helmets on coincidently, BMW K-bikes, and at test speed (70mph) they were all within 1dB of 100dB. ouch. That's loud. I'm sure my new Aeroflow windscreen reduces that a lot but still, ear protection is a must.

So I guess the answer is that helmets don't matter at all and quality ear protection must be worn. I'm going to buy a set of Challenger earphones.

--Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 9:07 pm

quiet is important, I think weight is something to consider too- I've tried several brands, just picked up a Davida Lunar and am absolutely happy with it. Better fit than the Nolan, better fit than even the Arai. But very light weight, not noisy at all. No spoilers on it, which are fine until you turn your head. Rubber seal around the shield, no wind or noise coming thru. Nice helmet!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 9:52 am
Veteran

Shoie with a mesh chin guard put it. I use the gard to stop wind since I wear contacts but it also cuts noise

JJCIII
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 12:04 pm
Veteran

[QUOTE=Stephejl]I am currently wearing a Shoei TZ-1. To me the most important feature in a helmet is noise (assuming safety is a given). My TZ-1 seems ok but has a lot of wind noise from the bottom (maybe they all do) and some whistling around the shield.

Jerry
I have a Shoei RF-1000 and it sometimes gets a whistling around the shield. I found the cause to be dead bugs on that very fine, bottom rubber seal. I cleaned the seal with an old toothbrush and that cured the problem.
The helmet is wind noisy and I do use the chin curtain.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Quietest Helmets

I have a Schuberth S1, and can confirm this is a pretty quiet helmet, but I still use ear plugs, even a balaclava reduces noise, but it can roast your head unless the helmet has good ventilation, which fortunatly the Schuberth has.

It costs a lot though. When it comes to saftey, they may be different helmets and different vehicles, but both Schumacher wear Schuberth.

Cheers.

Dibbley
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 1:07 pm

Smile C2

Just bought a C2 from my SF BMW buds yesterday. This helmet is soooooo quiet, by far the quitest I have ever worn. I have been using the X-11 for a year and there is no camparison. I really don't think you need plugs with this helmet either. My k12gt sounds like a sewing machine. I don't hear any of the anoying road noise. My autocom sounds great! I can't say enouight about this helmet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 7:55 am
Veteran

The Schuberth S1 gets my vote (and got my money too!) it's very quiet as long as you've got your head in either stale air or direct in the wind. Most noise comes from turbulence hitting the helmet. So keep either a low screen that allows the air to hit you at your shoulders, and your helmet in undisturbed wind. Or get a huge screen that doesn't cause much turbulence and directs the wind above your head.

And to top it off, wear earplugs... But the Schuberth is the quetest one I've ever tried.

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:35 pm
Veteran

I just picked up a Schuberth C2 to replace a new Nolan N102 I had also recently purchased. The Nolan's chinbar release would not operate correctly. Moving to the Shuie C2 one immediately senses the enormous difference in quality. I thought my spiffy, new N102 was a nice helmet, but compared to the C2 it feels very cheap.

I ride a lot of urban, and in the Nolan (ex N100 and the new 102) I always wore earplugs. I no longer do in the C2 (on an '06 KGT). If I'm travelling any distance (highway - high speed) I wear either earplugs or Etymotic Isolators 6is. The 6is are dynamite in the C2.

The way Shuie has sealed the neck area is really a major contributor to its quietness. It is so quiet I can hear the difference when I open the chin ventilator!! Try that in a Nolan.

Anyhow the C2 is one really nice helmet with a lot of very trick features. My two favorites are the sun visor and the pop-open main visor. I wear glasses and never bother with my clip-ons anymore, don't even carry them. The sunvisor is absolutely the BEST. Nolan's approach to this sucks in comparison. And I really love the way the visor pops forward to create some ventilation around the entire visor opening. Why no one else has thought of this very trick feature is beyond me.

You can find the C2s at a bit of bargain if you shop around. I got mine at the Vermont rally for $430.00 US. My friend who bought his in Montreal from a dealer paid $900.00 CDN. So with the CDN dollar just about on par with the US right now, I did very well. So shop around. You'll love a Schuberth.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode