Windproof shirt? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 8:41 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Windproof shirt?

I finally got my Vanson perf set and have discovered that those who told me that it can be chilly below 70 degrees were telling the truth. My Olympia jacket has a thinsulate liner which is light as a feather and I can get it under the leather jacket but the fit and feel are wrong. What I want is a windproof layer which will fit snugly, like a shirt. Is there such a thing? Do you think that Underarmor would do the trick, even though it's not described as windproof?

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
I finally got my Vanson perf set and have discovered that those who told me that it can be chilly below 70 degrees were telling the truth. My Olympia jacket has a thinsulate liner which is light as a feather and I can get it under the leather jacket but the fit and feel are wrong. What I want is a windproof layer which will fit snugly, like a shirt. Is there such a thing? Do you think that Underarmor would do the trick, even though it's not described as windproof?
There are some thin wind shirts sold for bicyclists. There are also windshirts sold for golfers. I have a relatively thin polarfleece microfiber that is windblock material, but may be a bit bulkier than you are looking for.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 10:39 pm
Enthusiast

Bill:
I know what you are talking about in regard to getting to much air. I have a couple of pull overs (sweatshirt like) that are water resistant. I went out yesterday morning (32 degrees) and works perfectly. I bought them just big enough to fit more on the tight side. I have done this for the past couple of years. I still rather this set up rather than putting on something else. Also I just bought a pair of perf pants from Vanson. No issues in the cold. The GT protects enough that I felt fine the other morning. I like the the perf jacket better than any other of my jackets - that it is worth it to me just to put the pull over on when needed. Of course you certainly do not look stylish. I do not care what other people think. I wear the perf jacket from April all the way through October, then I give in and go to heavier stuff. My electric jacket liner just does not feel good under the tight fitting Vanson.
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 10:43 pm
Enthusiast

Check out golf stores. They have lots of different style windblocker clothing that is typically very thin and gives good mobility.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 11:03 pm

I use a Marmot Windstopper N2S half zip shirt. Anything with windstopper N2S (next to skin) material will work great. I use mine for riding, hiking, skiing, etc. I also have some windstopper pants that I wear under my perforated vanson pants - mine are from Mountain Hardware and they have articulated knees.

Here is a link to the newer version on the Marmot shirt:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR...eeve-Mens.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 9:49 am
Enthusiast

Kevin:
I like the Marmot shirt that you described. Is that a tight fitting shirt? My Vanson is real snug as it is.
Bruce
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:23 am

Bruce,

It's loose fitting and I usually wear a tee shirt underneath it. It's very thin and it does have some stretch to it.

If you can wear a long sleeve shirt under your jacket, then the Marmot shirt will work also.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:40 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
Do you think that Underarmor would do the trick, even though it's not described as windproof?
Bill, Underarmor is great stuff, but it's not windproof.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 3:22 pm
Enthusiast

windproof shirts

check out REI they have windproof shrits that i use here in so cal when the temp get down to 30-40.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 9:52 pm

Hi,

Aerostich lists a windproof shirt in the catalog,probably on the website.

JR356

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode