To armor or not to armor? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter

To armor or not to armor?

I now live in Jacksonville, Florida (as opposed to my last home in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia) and ride in hot weather 12 months of the year. I have a leather mesh Vanson jacket (Mark 2 CSRV) for hot weather riding. Do other riders wear the full armor (elbows, shoulders and back protector) or wear the jacket without armor for a cooler ride? It is a much cooler ride without the protection of armor but if there is a crash, you end up paying for it in other ways.

Thanks for your response.

Richard Clompus
Ponte Vedras Beach, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	csv2_frt2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	3053  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:58 am

I live in PV too. Too brutally hot to do much riding in the dog days of summer. When I do ride, I try to wear my mesh alpinestars jacket, but since it is black, it soaks up the heat. I usually only wear it for longer high speed rides. Unfortunately, around town, I often end up riding in just a t-shirt and jeans. Sometimes the danger of overheating and being uncomfortable is greater than the danger of crashing without protection.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:22 am
Enthusiast

I never leave the driveway without all the gear and the armour no matter how hot it is.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:58 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytracer
I live in PV too. Too brutally hot to do much riding in the dog days of summer. When I do ride, I try to wear my mesh alpinestars jacket, but since it is black, it soaks up the heat. I usually only wear it for longer high speed rides. Unfortunately, around town, I often end up riding in just a t-shirt and jeans. Sometimes the danger of overheating and being uncomfortable is greater than the danger of crashing without protection.

Not to be contary, but I don't understand comparing the 'danger' of overheating and being uncomfortable with the very real consequences of crashing in just a T-shirt. Unless you die of heat prostration, that is . I wear a perforated, all white (yup, white) leather Icon Pursuit and a white helmet. True, not as cool as a T but safe. Kinda looks like a Star Wars storm-trooper, but is also highly visible. The white leather is at least 15 degrees cooler than black at a complete stand still and the perfs work really well. P.S.- According to some, most accidents happen around town. Just my 3 cents. Cheers and be safe.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:21 pm

You're right, its obviously not as dangerous, but last time I rode for several hours around town in traffic with my jacket on, I noticed my mind was more on how uncomfortable I was rather than what was going on around me. I also started getting lightheaded. Thats when I knew I'd had enough. It was 96F with a heat index of 107F, 100% humidity. Now, when its like that I'll either ride with just a shirt, or I wont ride at all because putting on the jacket when its that hot makes riding no fun at all. Maybe a white jacket would help. I dont ride without protection all that much. I've just resigned myself to the fact that this time of year isnt really riding season, much like people up north put their bikes away for the winter due to snow.
Patiently waiting for sub 90f temperatures - have to get through the meat of hurricane season first.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:48 pm
Addict

Wear it all!!

I just got off the bike. I left for Eureka Springs AR from New Orleans and rode the ozarks for 3 days. 1600 miles and change it was hotter than HELL!!!

I wore full jacket and pants by Motorport, the kevlar mesh stuff, held summer gloves, full face helmut and boots. Yes, it was hot, no, I didn't crash. Yes, I had all the armor in.

I'm new to cycling, have ridden about 9,000 miles since I got my bike in January and never plan to crash. AFter reading about ther various mishaps and such on the boards, I'm committed to wearking all my gear, all the time.

When the AR state trooper pulled me over today just after lunch, I was sweating my ASS off!! When moving the 100 degree temps were tolerable. Stopped on the shoulder with no shade was a weigh loss program I was forced into. He commented on my gear "sure looks like yer hot mister" but I just said, like I say to all the masters of the obvious "it's much cooler than you think."

Wear the armor. We don't get to choosed the accidents we're in, be prepared and committed to being ready.

Very best,

Gravity
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 8:19 am

I use Cortech mesh w/full armour...yea, it get's hot in the summer, but less painful than skin graphs.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 8:26 am
Statmaster

Add some UnderArmor to that, and you can go up to 105 degrees and still be relatively comfortable as long as you are moving.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 8:48 am

Please reconsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytracer
Sometimes the danger of overheating and being uncomfortable is greater than the danger of crashing without protection.
You really aren't serious, are you? If so...I couldn't disagree more.

You know when you are beginning to overheat and can take whatever remedial steps that are necessary to prevent any problems. I don't believe you have the same luxury in a crash...it happens and you usually have no choice in that matter. It takes but a mere second to have serious injury or worse...

I sincerely hope you re-think your position.

Doug
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
You really aren't serious, are you? If so...I couldn't disagree more.

You know when you are beginning to overheat and can take whatever remedial steps that are necessary to prevent any problems. I don't believe you have the same luxury in a crash...it happens and you usually have no choice in that matter. It takes but a mere second to have serious injury or worse...

I sincerely hope you re-think your position.

Doug
What I mean is the risk of being in a crash seems greater in my mind if you are fatigued from the heat, but at least you'll have gear on!

Like I said, lately I've just been refraining from riding because I do prefer to wear gear.
Its just that wearing the gear in the heat takes the enjoyment out of the ride for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode