Custom leathers or alterations? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Custom leathers or alterations?

I want to get some leathers VERY soon, but I'm have an 'issue'..

My legs are about 3" shorter than average, which makes most leather pants too long for me. Would it be better to get them somehow altered? Do tailors work on leather? I would think so...

Or since I'm already spending some big bank, how about custom 'fittting' jobs from Dianese or Alpinestar? Do they even offer this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:20 am
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwman
Or since I'm already spending some big bank, how about custom 'fittting' jobs from Dianese or Alpinestar? Do they even offer this?
Vanson Leathers will custom fit you for a price.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:25 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

You don't put in your profile where you live, so its hard to give you recommendations on getting custom leathers.

But in addition to getting custom fitted ones, you can look at BMW's Pro-Race leathers which also offer half sizes. For example, a size Euro 52 jacket might fit you fine, but the 52 pants may be long - well they also make size "102 or 104" pants which tend to be 3 to 4 cm. shorter, but with a similar waist size to the 52 jacket.

Look on your local country's BMW web site and you should find a sizing chart.

Other manufacturers may offer similar half-sizes, although I dont think Alpinestar nor Dainese do, but you can check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdf
You don't put in your profile where you live, so its hard to give you recommendations on getting custom leathers.

But in addition to getting custom fitted ones, you can look at BMW's Pro-Race leathers which also offer half sizes. For example, a size Euro 52 jacket might fit you fine, but the 52 pants may be long - well they also make size "102 or 104" pants which tend to be 3 to 4 cm. shorter, but with a similar waist size to the 52 jacket.

Look on your local country's BMW web site and you should find a sizing chart.

Other manufacturers may offer similar half-sizes, although I dont think Alpinestar nor Dainese do, but you can check.
Oh yes, I checked out the BMW Pro-Race outfit and it looks pretty good, though I wish they had different color combinations. I'm big on red. Grey is just too boring. I LOVE the Ducati/Dianese colors and style if that gives you any clue.

Thanks for reminding me about updating my profile! Thank you for the information and I am from Northern California. Any more information you can give me would be great!

Last edited by newbmwman; Aug 7th, 2006 at 9:56 am.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:51 am

Give these guys a call, http://www.helimot.com/aboutus/index.shtml. They make great suits and they're in your area. Expect to pay close to $1,500.00 or more to do this from a place that does quality work.

Dainese will also custom make a set of leathers for you, but to do it right you'll need to go into one of their shops. They have one in Costa Mesa, Ca., SoCal, but I don't think there's one in NoCal.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:25 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorDuc
Give these guys a call, http://www.helimot.com/aboutus/index.shtml. They make great suits and they're in your area. Expect to pay close to $1,500.00 or more to do this from a place that does quality work.

Dainese will also custom make a set of leathers for you, but to do it right you'll need to go into one of their shops. They have one in Costa Mesa, Ca., SoCal, but I don't think there's one in NoCal.
Wow, this is great information! I took a look at helimot and that may be the way to go... Considering that the BMW suit is about $1200, paying an extra $300 for quality AND custom isn't so bad.

I'll check into the Dianese stuff too.. I'm a HUGE Dianese fan

Thanks again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 1:02 pm
Enthusiast

leathers

i have used BATES Leathers for boots,and riding gear for the last 30 plus years,www.batesleathers.com
they make the for you.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 3:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

The Bates stuff looks REALLY nice and their pricing is comparable to Helimot. At this point, Bates looks to be in the lead. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for al the great information!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwman
The Bates stuff looks REALLY nice and their pricing is comparable to Helimot. At this point, Bates looks to be in the lead. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for al the great information!
You really need to check the type of leather each of these outfits use. IMO, Dainese uses the best of any of them. That's one of the reasons we you pay so much for them. The Italians really know how to make leather suits that work great and look way cool.
The Bates and Helimot suits are usually made with a little thicker leather which is nice for the track but can be a bit much for an all day ride on the road.
Unless you get a perforated type suit your going to cook in the summer whichever company you choose, when it's above ninety degrees.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorDuc
You really need to check the type of leather each of these outfits use. IMO, Dainese uses the best of any of them. That's one of the reasons we you pay so much for them. The Italians really know how to make leather suits that work great and look way cool.
The Bates and Helimot suits are usually made with a little thicker leather which is nice for the track but can be a bit much for an all day ride on the road.
Unless you get a perforated type suit your going to cook in the summer whichever company you choose, when it's above ninety degrees.
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'll be checking into all of 'em.. One of them uses ONLY 1.4mm leather throughout and double-layers of leather in certain sections... Sturdy, but maybe a bit stiff? It's good you brought up the heat issue... I had another discussion about heat exhaustion in another thread...

Most of my riding is on the West Coast, so I'm not too worried about it getting too hot... Even San Diego and Los Angeles have temperatures that border 90 degress... So it's all good. ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode