BMW Riding Gear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Question BMW Riding Gear

Hello everyone.

I am in need of a good “all around” riding gear set. I live in Seattle Washington and will be using my bike to commute and ride around the sound through the Gary "grid" Locke mess. Yes, I know it's queen Christine's turn in office but that get's off my original point...

Of course we have had an incredible (but late) summer and now we are getting into the cold and rainy season. So “all around” is what I am looking for. Personally I am looking for multipurpose gear instead of expensive individual gear.

I have boiled it down to the following options - of course a matched pair (Jacket / Pants).

Commuter 3 suit
Street Guard suit
Rally 2 Pro suit

Now, I have not gone into my local BMW store just yet and tried this stuff on. Just wanted to get the community review and then will make a decision.

Can you all please chime in? I would like to know recommendations on those suits and the best place to buy online. Anyone have a great link with great service for these items? Please share!

Thanks much to this excellent community! Much appreciated in advance!

Cheers! - Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Veteran

My vote is for the Streetguard Suit.. The TFL treatment is supposed to keep the temps better when hot, it uses the newest Goretex materials, and it has Armacor in the areas most likly to suffer abrasion. Also I had a Commuter 3 suit and I had problems with the jacket flapping at higer speeds.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Man, one slightly gray day and you're thinking winter's coming. Sheesh!

I don't mean to complicate things, but I picked up an aerostich last fall and have been able to wear it everywhere, every day (I'm also a daily commuter) around Seattle w/out being so uncomfortable that I couldn't bear it. In Yakima, a couple weeks ago, I felt a little like a baked potato in foil, but find me gear that will both protect you and keep you cool and I'll call it "perforated leather," pay $800 and only use it 2 months out of the year.

So, even though you didn't ask, I'll put my vote in for a stich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

LOL! Thanks Matt!

Also, thanks Erik!

Yea, well, right now I have jeans and a leather riding jacket. Need some better protection so trying to look a little forward here. :P Legs get cold in denim when wet and riding 80+ MPH.

Thanks for the reccomendations. I take my bike in today for service so I'll look at the different options at the dealer and look online for the aerostich.

Cheers! - Walt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:30 am Thread Starter

In the end (after going to the dealer and trying them all on), I opted for the Street Rider set.

The reason why is the external waterproofing (with a liner) vs just having a semiwater proof shell with waterproof liner. Also the Kevlar mix and armor is superior to keep me safe from the knucklehead cagers out there. The weight wasn't too bad either and I looked good in it. Ha!

Matt, you know what I mean about washington state drivers.

In the end, it was a bit pricey ~$1400 + democrat tax.

Oh yea, I picked up a pair of Sidi Canyon boots too! Whoot! ~$260.

Next is the Rubatone Icon Helmet. My friends are already making fun of me for dressing in FULL black. I told them I wanna be the Johnny Cash of Motorcycle riders. Just kidding! Everyone knows that bad guys dress in black! It's the intimidation factor that I am looking for on the road. HAHA!

Cheers! - Walt
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 7:21 pm

comments on the rally pro

I too have been looking into buying "more protection" and the online look of the rally pro suit seems to me to be more appealing than the others. I will be commuting to work where I wear business casual (dress pants and shirt) no tie and not hardly ever a dress suit.

I also have questioned the waterproof "liner" concept since some downpours in Ohio can be really drenchers.

What did you not like about the rally pro?

Thanks for your opinion.

Cheers.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 7:07 am
Addict

Have you considered

Motoport gear? The kevlar mesh Wayne uses is the only other fabric approved for motoGP racing (besides leather).

It's very cool in the summer. I live in LA and it's hot and humid here and I wear the jacket and pants and the wind blows right through it. Add the windproof liner and you're good until it gets quite chilly.

Layer for the winter and you can go year round.

Give it some thought,

Gravity
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, the RallyPro was NICE! So was the Commuter…

The cons for the suit(s) for me was:

- A bit more bulky then the Commuter or the StreetGuard.
- The waterproof liner vs. the waterproof shell
- Too many "bling" BMW graphics (I prefer to ride "under the radar")

I felt the same about the Commuter suit (although it had less “bling” graphics).

In the end, the online reviews that I have read and also the opinion of the sales person (Jennifer at South Sound BMW near Tacoma Washington) assisted me to make up my mind.

Jennifer is very knowledgeable and also very patient. I tried on all of them (with the boots), took out the liners, tried them with the liners, ect. She helped point out the different fabrics and why BMW designed the suits the way they did. She also rides a R1150 R (Rockster). Pretty cool IMO. She knows her Sh*t. Plus the customer service was outstanding.

I just think the plain black (with some silver accents for the reflectors), the fact that I should be able to remove the liners and wear my business casual wear underneath the (designed for) waterproof shell really led me to pick that one. Although, the pants were really not designed as “over pants” for your normal britches (they are designed as riding trousers), I got a slightly larger size to accommodate my daily wear. IMO, the Kevlar weave and the additional armor is also a ++. Price isn't an option when it comes to my protection (so says my wife). I believe that the Commuter and the RallyPro suits were on average $400 - $600 cheaper.

Jennifer also mentioned that the Commuter and the RallyPro suit shells were somewhat waterproof and you could make them more waterproof by using an "after market" waterproof solution. But in my experience with those products, they don't last too long and you have to continuously reapply it.

On the way home I wore the StreetGuard (without the liner in the jacket and with the liner in the pants) on an 86 degree day here in Washington and I was still pretty cool through high and low speeds. I thought it would be pretty hot but like Erik mentioned, the new materials really help the air penetrate (without feeling intrusive). I also felt that the suit provided the vents in just the right spots. I am very happy with my decision. Also the armor was very easy to adjust in the suit using Velcro.

Hope this helps!

Cheers! - Walt

Last edited by Titanium5; Sep 3rd, 2006 at 5:45 pm.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:16 pm
Looking for better limits...

Re: Liners. I've had suits with liners for about 3 years, and the one major annoying thing is that the external suit (Savana II), which isn't advertises as waterproof, gets soaked. I stay dry, but at the end of the ride I've gained a lot of weight. Not that I'm light to begin with, but at the end of a ride, you now have to find a place for the clothes to dry out. Hopefully, this is at home...

The liners are great for keeping out the cold, down to 35ºF for a 40 mile ride in my case, but while keeping the rider dry, it'd be a lot easier overall to have water-proofed gear on the outside as well.

I went out and got a TourMaster rain suit. Works great! Hasn't rained at all since I bought it back in March. Plus, I can put on the Gerbing Jacket for those cold and rainy days (such as it gets here in the S.F. Bay Area). I suppose I'll find out just how brilliant I am in three or four months when it starts raining again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:40 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlamotte
Man, one slightly gray day and you're thinking winter's coming. Sheesh!

I don't mean to complicate things, but I picked up an aerostich last fall and have been able to wear it everywhere, every day (I'm also a daily commuter) around Seattle w/out being so uncomfortable that I couldn't bear it. In Yakima, a couple weeks ago, I felt a little like a baked potato in foil, but find me gear that will both protect you and keep you cool and I'll call it "perforated leather," pay $800 and only use it 2 months out of the year.

So, even though you didn't ask, I'll put my vote in for a stich.
I also ride in Seattle through the nasty stuff and picked up an Aerostich 1 piece almost a year ago. It is simply awesome...from 36 degrees with rain riding over the Siskiyou's in California/Oregon...to 114 degrees through Redding, CA coming back from MotoGP it has served me EXTREMELY well. I can throw it over nice slacks/dress shirt and not worry about getting them wet/dirty when commuting to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode