BMW Sytem 5 Helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:27 pm Thread Starter
Addict

BMW Sytem 5 Helmet

Continuing my path to reinvention as an BMW Tragic, I purchased a new solid black BMW System 5 Flip Face helmet on Friday, after getting sick of taking my helmet off at the gate 1 or 2 times a day.
My prior helmet is a Shoei RF1000 (solid black) and was a great helmet, if not noisy due to the placement of the vents on the brow.
I found that with the Shoei, I was getting a fair bit of buffeting on the new BM, which I had never experienced on the 2004 GT. It disappeared with the new BMW lid.
It looks fantastic with black visor.
The BM is just a smig heavier than the RF1000.
Vision is BRILLIANT An amazing field of vision.
Cooling is superior to the RF1000. I don't know why, but it is.
Noise is markedly quieter than any helmet I have ever owned. I still wear soft hearing protection, but it's a very comfortable ride. The helmet also has a neck skirt which I think lowers wind noise big time.
Helmet comfort is very good. Not up to the RF1000 yet as the BM is new, and needs to seat in. I have a huge red mark on my forehead as I type this. However if I was 10 years younger, you wouldn’t notice I would have had hair to cover the red bit!!!
Locking catch is novel, and takes a bit of getting use to as it's a bayonet set up, vs. the d rings on the RF1000.
Best of all, getting through he gate now is so much easier just by flipping the face up.
Helmet is fitted for / not with Blue Tooth, so when my current phone dies, my next phone will be Blue Tooth.
The helmet currently smells like a new BMW!!!!
Either way, for those high end helmet wearers, think outside the box, and consider one of these. The best helmet I've owned, and quality through and through.
Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:15 pm

helmet

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the helmet review, I am also in the market for a new helmet (since apparently all of my USA bought helmets don't have the obligatory legal stickers on them) The helmet you describe sounds very much like whatI'm looking for, how much does it cost? I haven't been to a BMW dealer here in Syd yet, so I would like to ha a reference for when I do.
thanks,

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:53 am
Noob

I have had my System 5 for about 1 year now. I totally agree with all the comments about comfort, quietness, airflow etc.
I have the Bluetooth kit fitted and it works great with my mobile phone and also my TomTom sat nav.

2005 K1200S
ABS | ESA | Remus exhaust | K1300S luggage rack | Sargent seat | BMW panniers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:50 pm

I thought we couldn't get system helmets here?! Something about a lawsuit way back......
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:55 pm
Enthusiast

Can someone clarify. Is the System 5 available in the US? If not, any facts/rumors of BMW offering them at some point?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 2:05 pm
Statmaster

BMW will not go through DOT certification and does not want to take on the liability exposure in the US and WILL NOT be selling the System V in the US.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 2:15 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
BMW will not go through DOT certification and does not want to take on the liability exposure in the US and WILL NOT be selling the System V in the US.

Any other similar "wireless" alternatives for us in the states? Thanks,

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:58 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatobima
....The helmet you describe sounds very much like whatI'm looking for, how much does it cost? I haven't been to a BMW dealer here in Syd yet, so I would like to ha a reference for when I do.
thanks,
You won't be able to get the BMW badged helmet and use it legally here in the States but,...... Schuberth and BMW have a close relationship....I believe Schuberth manufactures for BMW..... and they do sell a DOT aproved helmet. You can check them out HERE.

They are expensive, but then so are the BMW helmets.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 4:49 pm

bluetooth helmet

look on Nolans web site. they are making a new version that has a bluetooth set up which plugs into the left side of the helmet.

Holt BMW had the helmet but had not had anyone ask about the bluetooth setup - nor were they aware of it. (lousy rep I guess.)

Cheers.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
You won't be able to get the BMW badged helmet and use it legally here in the States but,...... Schuberth and BMW have a close relationship....I believe Schuberth manufactures for BMW..... and they do sell a DOT aproved helmet. You can check them out HERE.

They are expensive, but then so are the BMW helmets.

I heard last week, that shuberth is going to stop importing to the US. There is some BS about legal paper issues and insurance. Atleast that is what my parts manager at the beemer shop told me.

ONON-
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode