From Shoei to Arai to Shoei - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

From Shoei to Arai to Shoei

Had a Shoei RF800, then moved up to an RF900. Liked 'em both. Wore 'em for a few years. Then thought I'd give an Arai Signet GT a try. Liked it even more than the Shoei's. Seemed a little lighter and fit me better. Wore the Arai for two and a half years, although the ventilation seemed to leave a little bit to be desired. I tended to ride with my shield up while wearing sunglasses. The shield would continually slam shut when speeds reached 55+. I even drilled 1/8th inch holes across the bottom of the shield so that when it was in the lower position I'd get a little more air flow. Still wasn't able to get what I felt was enough.

Bought a Shoei X-Eleven yesterday from the local Cycle Gear store. The shelf price was $540 while their online web site price was $510. The store matched the online price so I figure I got a decent deal. Nice fit, removable/washable liner, "ratcheting" face shield, quieter (in my opinion) than the Arai, and the ventilation/air flow (again my opinion) is undeniably hands down far superior to the Arai.

I had a pair of speakers mounted into the Arai, but they won't fit the Shoei. The Arai has little covered pockets at the rear top of the cheek pads that the speakers fit into nicely. The Shoei simply has an open space where small speakers should fit. Anybody have experience with fitting speakers into this particular hat?

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:01 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mser
Had a Shoei RF800, then moved up to an RF900. Liked 'em both. Wore 'em for a few years. Then thought I'd give an Arai Signet GT a try. Liked it even more than the Shoei's. Seemed a little lighter and fit me better. Wore the Arai for two and a half years, although the ventilation seemed to leave a little bit to be desired. I tended to ride with my shield up while wearing sunglasses. The shield would continually slam shut when speeds reached 55+. I even drilled 1/8th inch holes across the bottom of the shield so that when it was in the lower position I'd get a little more air flow. Still wasn't able to get what I felt was enough.

Bought a Shoei X-Eleven yesterday from the local Cycle Gear store. The shelf price was $540 while their online web site price was $510. The store matched the online price so I figure I got a decent deal. Nice fit, removable/washable liner, "ratcheting" face shield, quieter (in my opinion) than the Arai, and the ventilation/air flow (again my opinion) is undeniably hands down far superior to the Arai.

I had a pair of speakers mounted into the Arai, but they won't fit the Shoei. The Arai has little covered pockets at the rear top of the cheek pads that the speakers fit into nicely. The Shoei simply has an open space where small speakers should fit. Anybody have experience with fitting speakers into this particular hat?

Mike
'06 GT
Sounds like a job for Velcro. I used it in my Arai to keep the headphones in place.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:02 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ah yes, Velcro. The distinguished gentleman's duct tape. My plans already include it's use. I'm looking more for anyone's experience with brand/type of speakers in general, and in particular those that have been mounted in the X-11.

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 8:04 pm

been a shoei guy since my cbr600 f2 in '91. just bought a new x-11 blue mettalic for my k12s & a new rainey special x-11 for my cbr954. great, great helmets overall.

i agree about the installation of speakers. i bought a baehr system for the ks & the speakers fit pretty snuggly! had to exacto out some of the foam in the ear pocket area which is hard to do on a brand new expensive helmet! once fit the helmet is quite comfortable. haven't hooked the entire system up so can't tell byou what i think yet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 8:34 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I ordered a pair of IMC speakers from Whitehorse Press. Should be here within a few days.

Mike
'06 GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Here is the link to Autocom's instructions on installing their speakers in either an Arai or Shoei. http://www.autocomamerica.com/files/...et_Fitting.pdf

David

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2008, 3:31 pm
Veteran

BUddy of mine boughta X11 and same thing autocom speakers really didn't fit.. Or they did but gave him a headache since they were so tight against his head.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2008, 8:02 pm
Rookie

Speakers in Shoei Helmet

In order to make Autocom speakers fit a Shoei X-11 here is what I did;
Materials needed: Large "C" clamp vise-grips an ear-sized spoon and a paper back book.
Technique: Place the spoon inside the helmet and the paperback on the outside and squeeze with the vice grips. Continue to tighten the vice grips until the styrofoam is compressed enough to accomodate the speakers comfortably. Then mount the speakers under the helmet liner. This is more precise than cutting the styrofoam, cleaner and doesn't weaken the helmet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2008, 8:28 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadherb
In order to make Autocom speakers fit a Shoei X-11 here is what I did;
Materials needed: Large "C" clamp vise-grips an ear-sized spoon and a paper back book.
Technique: Place the spoon inside the helmet and the paperback on the outside and squeeze with the vice grips. Continue to tighten the vice grips until the styrofoam is compressed enough to accomodate the speakers comfortably. Then mount the speakers under the helmet liner. This is more precise than cutting the styrofoam, cleaner and doesn't weaken the helmet.
If you are compressing the EPS (styrofoam) liner then you ARE weakening the helmet. The EPS is designed to compress in the event of impact, therefore absorbing most of the force. Compressing any part of it lessens its' effectiveness.

'03 K1200GT

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
If you are compressing the EPS (styrofoam) liner then you ARE weakening the helmet. The EPS is designed to compress in the event of impact, therefore absorbing most of the force. Compressing any part of it lessens its' effectiveness.
True, but we are only talking about 2mm here to get the speakers comfortable to the ear. I would rather compress than carve out with a knife. The external ear itself would compress on impact and help to protect the underlying bone. In the real world, I doubt that this minor modification would put anyone at risk or decrease the effectiveness of the helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode