Motoport? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Question Motoport?

It's time to replace my 12-year old Roadcrafter 2-piece suit, and I'm considering the purchase of the Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and pants. Has anyone had any experience with ordering from Cycleport/Motoport, and with the products? My web research suggests the products are solid, but that a few folks have had issues getting them sized correctly, as each is custom made. Motoport claims that the garments are suitable for a very wide temperature range, from below freezing to over 100 degrees, and that they are waterproof, if the liner is inserted or removed as necessary. They also claim that their suits and armor are "the best", in terms of crash-worthiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 2:44 pm
Addict

Smile Yes - Motoport!

I have the jacket and pants with the lightweight, waterproof liners. The temps they claim are a bit extreme, in my experience. Having said that, I've driven in full Kevlar through the Ozarks in July. When moving you will be comfy. The mesh lets the wind flow almost without restrictionl. The liner adds the protection against the rain.

I also wore this suit from New Orleans to Vegas in October. It was 100 degrees going through Texas and I was as comfy as I could be while moving. Of course, any time you stop it gets warm but while moving I was comfy.

The way home was chilly, 34 degrees in AZ and I had the liners in and a gerbings jacket. It was comfy. Make sure you get measured and if you have questions, call them. You will most likely talk to the owner, Wayne, who always seems to be available to answer questions.

I think the gear is better in warm climes vs. cold but I'm pretty happy with my investment. The armor is very well placed, including chest armor and the gear is durable!! I laid my jacket on the muffler and melted one of the zippers on the arm. The Kevlar didn't melt but the zipper did. Wayne got the jacket fixed and back to me in less than 10 days and was responsive to all my questions.

I hope I never fall but if I do I think this gear will protect me as much as can be expected.

I have only been riding for a year so take this opinion with a grain of salt. I don't see myself having to purchase gear anytime soon.

Hope this helps,

Gravity
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:36 pm

I bought the Motoport Canyon II Jacket about 6 years ago or so. The red has definitely faded. Fit very well when I got it, I've gained about 50 pounds since then (unfortunately) and it still fits but not as well (although I haven't worn it this season). That jacket comes with the outer shell, an "aerotech" waterproof lining and a warm insulating lining. You can have all 3 linings in, only 2 or just the outer shell. I've ridden in weather where there is slush accumulating at the side of the road as the snow was falling. Had all 3 layers in along with a T-Shirt, a heated vest and a long sleeve shirt and I was fine (fingers were cold but that's a different story). I also had their aerotech pants on and I was warm (but they don't fit anymore).

I have a 1-piece aerostich for commuting but we don't get real warm temps here (never over 100 and seldom in the 90s). I find the legs on the stich keep we too warm.

I've had the jacket only on in temps around 35C (mid 90s) and it wasn't bad with all the vents open.

I'm looking at getting more Motoport gear for my longer rides. Not sure what yet. I emailed them and they suggested I call to discuss as I'm not sure what to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:27 pm
Let's Ride

I have the Ultra 11 Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket and the Police Kevlar Pant with liners for both.
Yes, I'm very satisfied with them. My favorite wat to wear the jacket in below 40 degree temperatures is to wear a Gerbing Jacket with the Motorport rain liner over the Gerbing and than the Ultra 11 Jacket....warm and comfortable....so far down to 21 degrees. I have also worn the Motorport insulation liner with the rain liner on top, the the Ultra 11 Jacket down to 26 degrees...not bad. When its cold the rain liner under my Motorport Police pant works great. But where the Motorport shines is in the heat...a lot of protection with a lot of wind flow...nothing like it. I also have an Aerostitch one piece suit that I tend to only use if I want to wear something nice underneath. Love the Aerostich...but above 75 degrees I have to go with the Motorport. The other option is BMW's new high tech jacket that has some kind of material that lets air through but seals up in the rain. Haven't tried it on, but have seen it this spring on a couple of friends. It does have a more "sliming" look than the Motorport which will make you look more baulky. Right now when I go riding I choose the Motorport.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:43 pm
Veteran

I also have the Motoport Kevlar and Cordura stuff. The Kevlar pants pants are indestructible and cool even when hot (I live in the So. Central Valley of CA where it can get over 110 degrees).

The Cordura on my jacket is begining to fray after 8 years of use. Mostly due to the Velcro piling the fabric. A shaver cleans it up, but I still is annoying to need to "Shave the jacket" at times. The Kevlar doesn't have this problem at all. It's more like a tight canvas weave that stretches.

Overall it was a lengthy process. I believe mine took around 12 weeks as I got the jacket first. Wore it and made adjustments and sent it back to be altered. Same for pants. Then when I got them back and they fit, I needed to send them both back "again" for the liner fitments. So it takes time to do it right and they told me so at the beginning. I found one arm to be 1/4" longer than the other, but they altered it for that!

Their armor is a hard nylon bonded one both sides with a softer foam. I have no doubt it will protect me from a fall. It doesn't mold to your arm as does the new armor in BMW suits.

My only complaint is that it is very, very heavy and very, very bulky. Mine won't fit in a saddlebag and I could stuff one part of the suit in the trunk if I sit on it. It seems to take me forever to get in and out of it too, don't know if that's a correctable issue on my part other than getting up an hour earlier to contemplate getting into it all.

Go for the Kevlar though. It'll wear far longer and not snag and pile up like Cordura will around Velcro. Allow for your gut to expand by a couple of inches too (damhik!).

If you toss an ice-vest under the suit you'll be comfy in it for a couple of hours over 95 degrees. Doing the same in a urethane coated suit makes it a miserable sauna.

Enjoy the suit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode