Shoei Mutlitec helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Shoei Mutlitec helmet

Been kicking around the idea of a flip-up helmet.

I saw the Shoei Multitec that replaces their Syncrotec helmet at the Cycle World Show in Long Beach, CA earlier this month. Sales guy said it was quieter along with all the typical sales pitches like metal latches, better optical shield, Quick-change, removable and replaceable pads of varying thicknesses, better venting, lighter weight than most other modulars, DOT approved (not Snell though), etc.

He mustía said something I liked as I got one for Xmas. Not cheap at $500 from Cycle Gear, but I didnít have to pay for it.

Today I took it for a spin. Iíve been a Shoei user for years (ďfat headĒ Shoei owner verses the ďpin-headĒ Arai type) and I will say this thing is QUIET. Even more so than my current RF-1000 and my X-II and older X as hard as that may seem. Even without earplugs it is very quiet behind a Cee-Bailey 4+2 screen on the GT! It may be slightly heavier than the RF-1000 but honestly, I didnít notice it while riding. I used the chin guard and the helmet is closer to the chin than the RF-1000. My chin doesnít hit it, but Iím sure someone like Jay Leno would (although he wears Shoeiís too). The pivoting mechanism is snug and the gaps are small.

Venting is cool and I could operate the single top vent with thick electric gloves on. The chin vent is a little trickier to grab onto. The flip-up lever works well with thick gloves. The air flow via the chin vent is noticeable at the visor and you can feel the air over the top. The padded neck guards at the bottom are fuller too and it seems to curve in more at the bottom so it goes on a bit more snug as well. It has a wide Shoei strap too.

Sizewise, itís about the same as the RF-1000 series, maybe a bit more snug on the cheek pads (they snap out for cleaning). I notice the fitting guy at Cycle Gear likes to use the Shoei open face model to determine the Multitec size (they had to special order it as they are too new). That worked out pretty good and it only took two days for them to get it in. Comes with a carrying bag where some of prior-year Shoeiís didnít.

Itís got an area cleared for the fitment of speakers, but I use in-ear phones instead. Fits in the (large) truck of the GT too, even opened. I don't know about the side cases or the smaller trunk, it uses the same CX-V1 shields of the other models, but it should.

Seems Shoei did their homework and did indeed improve on the Syncrotec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode