Road Crafter Suits - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Question Road Crafter Suits

Hey out there in k land,
I am considering purchasing a road crafter suit for my daily commute, I have done all the research and I feel this is a quality product and useful for what it's intended for.

Having said that I wonder if any of you have experience with the zippers inside the legs scratching the finish on the bike.

I have a 2004 K12 RS that is my concern, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shoey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:23 am
Enthusiast

If you are referring to the Aerostich Roadcrafter then I can tell you that it is an awesome suit. I have had one for about 4 years and I don't think there is anything that matches it. That being said there are a couple of suggestions I have. First, I bought the one piece suit and wish I got the two piece simply because the pants can be left on and the jacket removed if you stop for dinner, etc. I have to remove my one pice and lug it around or get some really strange looks if I just keep it on. Also, it's very hot. I wear it up to about 80 degrees and then I have to wear something else. There are no problems with the zippers and the suit washes easily and looks great after 4 years. It's a little stiff at first but softens the more you wear it. You can get just about any color combination you want also.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2007, 5:08 pm

The teeth are made of nylon and I've never had a problem with them scratching anything. The slide is metal and it can make marks on the frame above the foot pegs where it rubs when you brake or shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:18 pm
Enthusiast

Call them to be sure that you are sized correctly.

I used the sizing thingy on their web site and then called. They looked up my record and we played 20 questions.

I got a perfectly fitting suit.

I got a one piece and am glad. I only wear the suit in cold / inclimate weather (mostly for commuting). When the temp is above 70 F I put on my perforated leathers.

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Scratches frpm a 'stich

Yes - the zipper pulls/snaps in the inside of the 'stich legs near the cuffs can scratch the aluminum frame on a KRS/KGT, But this is a small price to pay for such an AWESOME piece of riding gear. Some riders cover the frame with a clear film at the abrasion points and simply replace the film once or twice/season. Other tricks I've seen are to cover the metal zipper pull with a plastic cover available from REI, EMS, or a similar outdoor gear store or dip it in the vinyl coating designed for tool handles. If you're not too concerned about appearance, wrapping the zipper pulls and covering the metal head of the snap with duct tape works great too.

I'm comfortable in my 'stich up to about 85 degrees so long as you're moving and have the vents on the suit open. For really hot weather, you can fill the outside pockets with a little crushed ice and let evaporative cooling do the trick - you'll stay dry as the water will leak outside the suit, not inside as the ice melts. At the other extreme, layer under the suit with electrics works fine into the 30's.

I have both a 1-piece and a 2-piece suit - the 2-piece is a little more versatile if you do riding where you're comfortable with just the jacket. Both are easy to get in and out of over street clothes, but the one piece is a little lighter and less bulky. When you're off the bike, a 1-piece suit can be neatly stuffed into a BMW RS/GT saddle bag (the larger one on the right) although it is a tight fit and will require a little patience. The two piece is a little easier to store.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your input , is the suit as easy to get on as they report in the brochure?
Or is this deceiving?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Enthusiast

Pretty easy

Easy to put on, you have to get used to the stiffness, great to ride in, great when you go somewhere you can store it. What is a real pisser is walking around in the suit on a hot day or trying to stuff it in a resturant booth. Like dragging a dead body with you. The great thing is you will use it and have the protection and when you arrive you zip it off and are no longer a space ranger.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 9:24 am
Enthusiast

It is absolutely the simplest suit to put on and take off on the market. Nothing comes close. Also, I had a zipper get stuck one time and couldn't for the life of me get it loose. I called and talked to the repair guy at Aerostich and he walked me thru how to disasemble the zipper and reassemble it in order to fix the problem. Then he sent me a zipper repair kit at no charge in case anything happened in the future.

'03 K1200GT

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:23 am
Enthusiast

Cure for the "dead body"

Getcher'self one of these babies.

You can secure* your suit to the bike and eat in the buff. :p

Or, wear shorts and a t-shirt under the suit like I do.

*keep honest people honest

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:11 pm

I'm a big fan of the one piece suit for commuting.

Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode