Any experiences with Scorpion helmets? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Smile Any experiences with Scorpion helmets?

I looked at a Scorpion helmet at a dealer today. Sure seemed to have a lot of features for $180! I was wondering if anyone out there has used/bought one and what they thought about it. I'm currently using an Arai Quantum/f that is nearing the 5 year mark.

Thanks,
Bob

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 1:52 pm
Enthusiast

I have one. I also have a Schuberth S1 which I prefer to wear, but the Scorpion helmet is an excellent helmet and is probably one of the best around dollar for dollar.

LAR Six
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 2:17 pm
Rookie

My boss just got one. I looked at and thought it was a pretty good bang for the buck. He said it has pretty good air flow which is important here in Florida as hot weather lasts about 7 months. Here is a review you might want to read. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...lmet/scorpion/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Enthusiast

Have had mine one month now.good ventilation, much quieter than my nolan flip but I do wear ear plugs, anti fog shield works,won't fog up. When you crack the shield open to get a little air it opens a little to much,I wish the first setting was a little tighter. Over all I am very pleased with the helmet. I did get the 700 model, kevlar and fiberglass.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2005, 9:57 pm
Noob

I looked at the Scorpion helmet today, am getting rid of my RF700 Shoei as it is starting to show it's age, the Scorpion looked and fit well[ the Z logo can be removed by pulling on it] but the color I wanted wasn't there.
I went to several bike shops looking around and I saw a lot of nice looking helmets in the $150--$300 range, I went back and got a Shoei RF1000, solid color, anthracite. The helmet has alot more wind noise then my old RF700, I think I can play with the foam padding a bit and remove some of the wind noise. Yes, I'm a little mad about the noise conserding the price. I like the fact that most local shops carry Shoei replacement parts in stock.

Just do it, you can always change it, improve it, sell it or scrap it tomorrow.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 3:57 pm
JMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad
I have one. I also have a Schuberth S1 which I prefer to wear, but the Scorpion helmet is an excellent helmet and is probably one of the best around dollar for dollar.
How is the wind noise of the Scorpion compared to the S1 or to any other helmet you may have used?

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 4:01 am
Enthusiast

I have a Scorpion. Love it. Great value, not too noisy, good visibility,comfortable and it is nearly impossible to fog. Rated up there with helmets that cost twice as much.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5150
I looked at a Scorpion helmet at a dealer today. Sure seemed to have a lot of features for $180! I was wondering if anyone out there has used/bought one and what they thought about it. I'm currently using an Arai Quantum/f that is nearing the 5 year mark.
As a reference, I'm a long time Arai wearer. I've been wearing the Scorpion EXO700 lately. I was impressed with the appearance as well as the look and feel of quality from the begining. It looks much more expensive than a $200 helmet.

It's very comfortable to wear. Snell/DOT rating. Nice features like removable liner for easy cleaning. To me it provides great value.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p.../g3-gloves.htm
:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:58 pm
Enthusiast

The Scorpion is noisier than the S1. It should be, because it only costs a third of what the S1 runs. I wear Challenger earphones that double as earplugs so I don't really notice the noise anyway. The one thing I noticed in the Scorpion compared to the Schuberth is the larger field of vision with the Schuberth. I lose some of my peripheral vision with the Scorpion, and also noticed that I have a more restricted field of vision downward. With the S1 I can see my radar detector without moving my head. Not so with the Scorpion.

LAR Six
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad
I lose some of my peripheral vision with the Scorpion,
I've tested my Scorpion EXO 700 against my Arai Signet GT. They have similar, if not identical peripheral vision. About 180degrees.

Wind noise is also very similar, given the ventillation.

Quote:
and also noticed that I have a more restricted field of vision downward. With the S1 I can see my radar detector without moving my head. Not so with the Scorpion.
This is odd. Again, the Scorpion EXO700 and Arai Signet GT have similar downward vision. It's surprising because the center part of the chin piece is on the Schubert S1 is higher. You would think decreased downward vision. But it does look like a nice helmet.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p.../g3-gloves.htm
:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode