Reflective vest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Red face Reflective vest

Hello,

Ok who out there is geeky enough to wear the orange "construction flagman" vest with the reflective strips? My wife just got me one to wear at night as it is now dark on the way home after work. I tested it out the other day on my commute to work during daylight hours. I am now convinced that you are safer, regardless of light, when wearing this vest. People notice you. Maybe not favorably but they notice you. I even think cars maintained a greater distance and gave me more room. I may not be wearing it all the time but I am cetainly considering wearing it during my commute and definatley at night. :|

Edit:

Here is a link to the Icon vest:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/pswowinc_1868_44428416

my vest is only one of the $15 jobs that is mesh. It's actually made for joggers but has straps that go under the arms an fits snug. I think it has more of a "official" look than the Icon even though the Icon is more stylish.

joe

Last edited by jbuhl; Nov 2nd, 2005 at 10:07 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:50 am

Joe,
That's why I wear a yellow jacket - both my First Gear mesh and Kilimanjaro. Not quite as bright as your vest, but it is noticed.

I also have reflective material on my helmet. The helmet and reflective decals are black until light hits them. Makes a huge difference.

Finally, the PIAA lights under the front cowl, LED running lights in the rear, and a flashing LED brake light finish off my current attempts at being seen better.

Yeah, I'm kinda obsessed with being conspicous.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 2:30 pm
Enthusiast

I wear a Vision vest(the ones made from mesh sand fencing with the green stripes)every time I ride. I hope it makes me more visible. Also run my Moto Lights day and night.My wife won't wear one but she has said she likes the vest on the link you provided better than any other.
After 28 years of the Harley thing I have wised up and don't worry about the looking cool crap. Four years of BMW and I am a better,safer and faster(of course) rider.Wear you vest,just maybe it will help you ride another day.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 3:24 pm

A few years ago a guy riding home from work on the interstate hit a deer, then he was run over by a car that didn't see him laying in the road. He died!
I wonder if he was laying there looking up at the stars and saying thank God I'm OK! Then the car came along.

My father would say, "It's better to be a live chicken than a dead duck!"

Wear the vest, she obviously cares about your safety.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

dead

Yep, Same thing happened to my long time riding partner. After hitting the deer he was torn to pieces by a elderly couple in a van. It was a dusk. Rfelctive gear may have been the difference.

joe
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:00 pm

Thumbs up

Wife and I always wear the Visions vest. Just bought a new one this past summer as the old one had over 100K miles on it and was falling apart. There's no way to prove it, but I swear I have avoided several speeding tickets because of it. Example - the trooper is hitting the brakes hard to turn around until he is close enough to see the vest(s), then no more brake lights and they continue on. But, will never know for sure.

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 3:58 am
Enthusiast

Where do you get the Visions vest? Thanks.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 6:00 am
Enthusiast

fastjohnny,I picked mine up at the Chicken Rally in Alabama but you can go to www.visionvest.com. For some reason this address comes up as a link to vision vest, it is not the site you need you will have to type the address in your address bar or do a search,sorry.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton

Last edited by edlk1200; Nov 13th, 2005 at 6:22 am.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
Where do you get the Visions vest? Thanks.

I've also been possibly considering the Icon Military vest. It comes in orange or yellow.
It's a mil spec vest.

http://rideicon.com/gearProductSumma...=&class_type=2

Seems to provide all the reflectivity while looking a touch more fashionable maybe?

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p.../g3-gloves.htm
:
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuhl
Hello,

Ok who out there is geeky enough to wear the orange "construction flagman" vest with the reflective strips? My wife just got me one to wear at night as it is now dark on the way home after work. I tested it out the other day on my commute to work during daylight hours. I am now convinced that you are safer, regardless of light, when wearing this vest. People notice you. Maybe not favorably but they notice you. I even think cars maintained a greater distance and gave me more room. I may not be wearing it all the time but I am cetainly considering wearing it during my commute and definatley at night. :|

Edit:

Here is a link to the Icon vest:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/pswowinc_1868_44428416

my vest is only one of the $15 jobs that is mesh. It's actually made for joggers but has straps that go under the arms an fits snug. I think it has more of a "official" look than the Icon even though the Icon is more stylish.

joe
Hey, I didn't think they still make those mesh vest with the bright yellow stripes.... In fact, I still have mines. Whats good about that is you can where the vest over any jacket. Mine has some elastic straps on both sides to adjust to size.

Consider it a privilege that your wife lets you ride and even at night. So return the favor and wear that geeky vest........

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode