Cool Sport Vest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2007, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up Cool Sport Vest

Bought from this site.

I have a couple of those water-soakable vests and let me tell you, this Cool Vest will blow those out of the water. The water-soakers leave me with the clammy sweaty feeling. The Cool Vest vest does not. If the humidity is high, the water-soakers just get more clammy. Ugh!

I was told of the "Cool Vest" by someone who rides in the Arizona heat when it's over 110 degrees. He said it's the only way he can tolerate the heat.

Their "Motor Sports Cool Vest" from them fits well and snug via Velcro and keeps the ice packets against the body. The packets are clear when expired and turn white on being fully charged. I've charged mine on the road with some ice from a mini-market in a plastic bag, but it takes some time to do so.

I bought a small collapsible beer cooler and another set of their packs and store them in that. I can also take the old expired pack off, exchange it for the new pack from the cooler, fill the cooler with ice and let that old pack recharge while I ride. Works great as a system!

I also added to the vest s little more insulation against the outside air blowing on the pack. I bought a foot of that double sided foil insulation with the little air bubbles between it as used in car windshield dash insulators. I got it at Orchard Supply and Hardware for maybe $1.50 per foot. I cut a couple (5 1/4" x 11") to fit the front two pockets for the ice packs and installed them so they are on the outer portion of the pack while riding. Might make the packs last a little more than two hours when its over 100 degrees. The back doesn't need the insulation as those packs seem to melt down about the same as the front now (out of air flow).

When moteling while traveling, I book one one that has the mini-fridges in the room and store the vest and beer cooler with the pack in it. In the morning they are all charged up and ready to go.

Nice product.

Last edited by GMack; Jun 10th, 2007 at 1:50 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Addict

Thanks, I'll be checking that out...looks like 110 tommorrow in phoenix and I'm commuting 400 miles in that stuff. Not sure what or how long I can handle that heat but I'd rather not find out the hard way....regards...geo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2007, 8:43 pm

For a $130 it better give me a reach around... although this is my favorite part.

Quote:
Q. Is the chemical in the phase change material cool packs toxic?

A. The chemical in the phase change material technology coolpacks is completely nontoxic, safe, and environmentally friendly. If swallowed, it acts as a laxative. Should the Cool Pack become punctured and bleed onto your skin, it may cause very minor irritation, so it's important that you scrub with soap and water. If you'd like a Material Safety Data Sheet on this product, just go to our Product Info page, and click on the MSDS page link.
Funny, the MSDS is temp unavailable.

ONON-
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Good to hear you're pleased with your vest. I bought a similar PCM vest:
http://www.coolvest.com/

I bought the concealable vest with an extra set of cool packs. My thinking was that if I didn't want to stop for 20 minutes to recharge my packs, what were my options for swapping out packs and hitting the road? I didn't want to carry a cooler strapped to my bike. By the way, I'm waiting for a 2008 K1200GT and presently have no bike. So, I started to look for neoprene options.

Long story, short. A Case Logic ( http://www.caselogic.com/neoprene_no...?modelid=44291) neoprene sleeve for a 15" notebook works great. The sleeve will hold the extra set of cool packs and about as much ice as you want to fill it with. I froze my extra set of packs and inserted them in the neoprene sleeve. Sandwiched between the packs I inserted 2 10"x10" Ziplock freezer bags filled with 2 cups of crushed ice in each bag. This "experiment" was conducted indoors on the kitchen counter at 70 degrees.

I wore my vest, with the first set of packs, around the house until I got bored. Coolvest claims 2 1/2 hours. From other posts on ADV I would guess it is probably accurate. What I was interested in was my storage solution for the extra pack..............................

24 hours later I opened up my computer sleeve. The ice was melted but the water was still cold. The cool packs were still in a solid state. Not completely solid but not far from it.

The sleeve works great! The 15" size works well because it allows room for the packs and ice and still gives a little room to manipulate the whole mess into irregular size storage areas in your paniers.

I think you would be ok to fill the sleeve with the packs and just dump ice over them and zip it up. I didn't check, and I don't think, the sleeve zipper would be all that water tight. That's why I used Ziplocks. Plus, the ziplocks give you clean drinking water once the ice melts. No moisture on the outside of the sleeve when I used the sandwich bags.
FWIW,
Regards

PS-- Last thought. I bought the concealable vest. It's cut short and will work great while in a seated position on a bike. The vest material is some sort of cotton. I'm sure it's durable but I got to thinking it might not be too friendly to the senses after wearing it day after day. No matter how well the coolvest works. I ordered a second vest. The Classic in the heavy duty nylon mesh without any packs. It was very reasonable ( cheap). I'll let you know which combo works best. If I have a bike and it's not snowing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode