URGENT...Metzeler Z6 installation.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation URGENT...Metzeler Z6 installation..

Am I correct......Metzeler Z6 tires (all Metzeler tires) there are "two red dots" on sidewalls that mark the "light spot" on the tire. Meaning, you should mount this at the point that you came up with as the "heavy" mark/point of your wheel??. All went well, but we have not inflated (set the beads) until we get an answer. Marc Parnes balancer, homemade car wheel with sufficient padding, and a very intelligent friend always help. Where the hell do I find this "Shell R 2" grease??. Is it not just a high grade graphite type grease?. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:51 pm
Veteran

Convention is to line up the balance marks (as they are called ) with the valve stem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down I'm sorry, but I do not think.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Convention is to line up the balance marks (as they are called ) with the valve stem.
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, But I do not think this is correct. The valve stem area was definately NOT the heavy spot on wheel. The "Parnes" balancer we were using is very precise, and the valve stem was at 11:00. Also, the wheel (I think) had been "marked" on the inside with a black marker on the exact spot of 6:00. (heavy point)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:10 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Shell R2 is essentially mineral lithium grease, here is shell spec. Alvania Grease R2MineralLithium min temp 53 max 135 quite a temp range for grease actually, I always mounted the marks if any on the tire at the valve stem also unless I knew of a heavy spot on the rim by checking the balance prior to mounting the tire. Most of the Avons etc I have gotten lately have no marks. The Parnes unit works great. Be careful with the Z6 as it seems the wear is not readily apparent until its gone.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.

Last edited by dkeven; Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:15 pm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:12 pm

According to the shop that I buy my tires from (they mount them too), Eric is correct that the "convention" is to align the dots on Metzelers up with the valve stem. He pointed out that most shops do not take the time to find the heavy point on the wheel and this is a good guess on many wheels. He feels that since weights are cheap and easy to install, most shops have gotten lazy.

He subscribes to your theory....align the dots with the heavy part of the wheel.

Randy

Last edited by htheater; Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:31 am. Reason: Correct spelling of Metzeler!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:18 pm

It seems that Metzeler may be aiding in the laziness!

From the Metzler Tech Info Section on their webiste:

Quote:
Some METZELER tires have a red dot in the tire sidewall to indicate the lightest point which should be positioned next to the valve.
Randy

Last edited by htheater; Nov 5th, 2005 at 8:31 am. Reason: Correct spelling of Metzeler!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Tire Mount.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheater
It seems that Metzler may be aiding in the laziness!

From the Metzler Tech Info Section on their webiste:

Randy
OK guys, thanks. But, after trying to reach Mertzeler via phone and getting put on hold for twenty minutes, then getting a recording machine and leaving my name and # and never getting a call back, I am going to do it my way. The valve stem area is "assumed" to be the heavy spot, that is why they say mount the two "red spots" (light point of tire) near the valve stem. But we balanced the wheel first and the valve stem ended up at 11:00. The 6:00 point was the heavy point (of course) and that is where we marked the wheel with some typewriter "white out" . This is where we will move the two red dots to, then balance the whole thing. Next step, rear tire today. Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 9:26 am
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Your doing it the right way!! The valve stems are very rarely are the true heavy spot, and the dots do mark the light spot of the tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode