Un-even rear tire wear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Question Un-even rear tire wear

Hey Everyone-
My rear Z6 is done and in need of replacement. No big deal as I got 5600mi of fairly aggressive riding out of it (mostly twisties, some slab & commuting). The front still has another 600mi or so left on it.......anyway-
On the rear tire, the left hand side is definitely much more worn than the right hand side - in fact it is because of the left side wear that I am having to replace the tire - if the whole thing looked like the right side and wore evenly, I would have prob close to another 1k miles left in it....

Anyone else experience this, or have any idea why it may have worn this way?

I know the rear wheel has a small spacer ('03 RS with 5.5" wheel), would this be a cause? Or is it because of the roads being "crowned", and sloping off to either side for drainage purposes?
The bike doesn't seem to pull or have any alignment issues (it did tip off the sidestand one time).....this is the first time I've observed this as my previous set of tires (BT 020) were replaced early with some tread still left as the front was cupping, so I never got a chance to see how the rear would have worn down with those......Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 2:03 pm

My GT used to pull ever so slightly to the right. If I were to ride w/no hands on the grips, I'd have to lean just a little to the left to keep on the straight and narrow (not that I ever did). I seem to remember reading on a now defunct board of others noticing the same thing. I didn't notice any odd wear, tho.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 4:37 pm
Veteran

Wink Un-even rear tire wear

Mike wrote:

Anyone else experience this, or have any idea why it may have worn this way?

=============

Bet ya you got your tires mounted and balanced @ your favorite dealership...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 6:58 am Thread Starter

it was actually Hermy's, not MLBMW
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:45 pm

I always have un-even tire wear on the front. I wull run Pilot Road on rear and Pilot Sport on front. I avg. 6500 on rear and 8000 on front (down to wear bar's only). The rear seems to wear evenly.
Joe
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:22 am

Cool Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb125
I always have un-even tire wear on the front. I wull run Pilot Road on rear and Pilot Sport on front. I avg. 6500 on rear and 8000 on front (down to wear bar's only). The rear seems to wear evenly.
Joe
Check your pressure on the front ( 38 - 40 ) however 8,000 is very good.
I change mine at the same time ( front and rear ) about every 4,500 or 6,000 miles.....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Left Side Tire Wear

It might sound a little elemental but most roads are crowned towards the center which makes the left side of your tires load slightly more which, my tire guy tells me, is one of the reasons for increased wear on the left. Just an observation.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:46 pm
Rookie

Elemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveGuy
It might sound a little elemental but most roads are crowned towards the center which makes the left side of your tires load slightly more which, my tire guy tells me, is one of the reasons for increased wear on the left. Just an observation.
Even more elemental is the fact that left turns are longer than right turns.
Longer turns = more left sied tire wear.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:11 pm

Arrow Tire wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDrifterus
Even more elemental is the fact that left turns are longer than right turns.
Longer turns = more left sied tire wear.
This has been hashed over many times here and the wear IS caused by the crown of the road. The members from OZ report the same wear on the right as they ride on the left. Follow a bike down the road and look at the contact patch.
H
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2006, 1:23 pm
Rookie

Just another bit of info to add to the mix.

Tire wear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode