Road smarts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 3:04 am Thread Starter

Road smarts

My Road smarts arrived today and I immediately noticed a different rubber compound between the front and rear tires. The fronts were made in Japan and the rears made in France. The front tire seems to be of a harder rubber. Another thing I noticed was a very stiff sidewall on both front and rear. They maybe the stiffest sidewall of any of the GT tires I have used so far. The BT020 and PR2's have very soft sidewalls and the smarts and Road attacks were very stiff. However the PR2's I have used turned out to be the incorrect tire for the GT. (No "B") Those are my observations so far, I have a question for you guys that mount your own tires. How much cussing am I going to do when mounting these Road smarts? Here is a good link for info about the Roadsmarts http://www.motorcycle.com/products/d...iew-75375.html

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten

Last edited by sanjaun2; Jan 15th, 2009 at 3:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 7:23 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
..... I have a question for you guys that mount your own tires. How much cussing am I going to do when mounting these Road smarts?
Quite a bit if it's cold outside and they are stiff.

I find of I cuss enough loudly, my neighbor hears me and asks "if I'm changing tires again?" He then offers a beer and comes over to shut me up at the request of his wife, fsr.

Oh. Get some Yamaha Tire Mounting Lube. Good stuff and it helps a lot.

Mack
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 7:34 am
Enthusiast

All I can tell you is that the rear Roadsmarts are dual compound rubber with the harder compound in the center strip and the softer/grippier on the sides where it is needed. The front Roadsmart is only a single compound tire. Don't think the origin of the tire has too much to do with the quality of the tire? As far as the stiffness of the sidewall, I do know that a few manufacturers recommend a stiffer sidewall for this bike if available due to the bike's initial weight and use as a tourer when fully loaded and passenger on board.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:59 am

I mounted my own RoadSmarts. No big deal.

As with any tire, make sure it is plenty warm before you try to take it on or off. In the winter time, set the tire over a heat vent in the house for a half day at least. Use plenty of lube. I use a 50/50 mix of water and dish soap, but others use Pledge, etc.

My front RoadSmart went 6400 miles. I have removed it and put a spare used tire back on until the rear RoadSmart wears out. The rear should probably last at least 9000 on my bike.

I also noticed that the front and rear were manufactured a world apart. Strange.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I posted the origins of the tires because They are indeed a long way apart, And being so far apart I thought the content of the rubber would be very different. Kinda of like New york and Oklahoma pizza being different. I use the No Mar lube. Pretty good stuff. I think I will hit the neighbor up for help before I start cussing this time.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 4:33 pm
"DELIVERS"

Dontcha think there would be a difference between Japanese and French rubber?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 4:40 pm

More thoughts about the RoadSmarts for anyone that cares...

As mentioned, only the rear is dual compound. I pushed the front to 6400 miles, but it started handling poorly at least a thousand before that. When I say "poorly", I mean that the front end got heavy and I had to strong-arm it in the curves. The curves are my favorite place to be, but not with a bike that doesn't want to turn. I replaced the front RoadSmart with a decent used BT020 and the bike handles fine again.

The smarts handled very fine up to that point. I had no complaints.

I would much prefer that the front and rear had a matched tread life. Even if they are within a thousand miles of each other, I'd still replace them as a set. In this case, the rear will outlast the front by at least 2500 miles, probably more. There's too much tread on the rear to take it off already.

I've already purchased a set of PR2's, which have dual compound front and rear. If they don't wear more consistently than the Dunlops, then I'll try something else next time. There are lot's of tires out there to try.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Dontcha think there would be a difference between Japanese and French rubber?
I think the Japanese rubber is smaller
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
As mentioned, only the rear is dual compound. I pushed the front to 6400 miles, but it started handling poorly at least a thousand before that. When I say "poorly", I mean that the front end got heavy and I had to strong-arm it in the curves. The curves are my favorite place to be, but not with a bike that doesn't want to turn. I replaced the front RoadSmart with a decent used BT020 and the bike handles fine again.

The smarts handled very fine up to that point. I had no complaints.
My buddy experienced the same with his Roadsmarts (FJR1300). He runs through 'em pretty quickly as well (Iron Butt rider), 30 days of vacation a year and no kids at home doesn't help keep the mils down!

08 K1200S (Phreeooow)
06 Husqvarna TE610
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Rookie

I put 10k on mine but they were feeling heavy at that point. Front was just at the wear bars and the back look like it could go another 2-3k easy. Just put the second set on for the trip to the rally.

Jim

07 KGT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode