balancing beads? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

balancing beads?

i'm getting ready to order my next set of tires, I think I'll try the Avon Storms. Last ones were Conti Road Attacks with 7800 miles out of the rear tire. I hate the gobbed-up looking mess the weights look like on my pretty rims. There aren't many recent posts about the different types of balancing beads. Has anyone had any luck using them?

thanks,
glenn

2000 K1200rs red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2009, 7:56 am
Veteran

If you knew exactly how much (weight wise) to add after the tire is mounted maybe they would work. Suppose you don't have enough added to begin with to obtain a good dynamic balance? What about if too much were added?

Then you have internal tire mold nubs and low spots for them to gather in. What then? What effect will the little balls of rubber that wear off the inside of the tire cause with their movement inside the tire? Condensation cause them to clump together? I guess you could fill them with nitrogen.

Fwiw, I've got some of that tire liquid balance and puncture stuff in my car tires. The first trip out and the thing rode like it was on square tires for 40-50 miles at speeds no more than 30 mph. It was awful and I was tempted to run to my tire guy and claim insanity and have him get it out.

However, it soon got better in around 80 miles or so (they said it would, but I didn't believe them as it really hammered going down the road), but there still are times the thing gets out of whack for whatever reason and hammers a bit on the freeway. If I pull off, stop, and slowly roll at slower speeds and then jump onto the freeway it will settle out and the steering wheel will smooth out. Only nice thing about the stuff is that air pressure stays up for months now. I may have nails and screws in the tires, but it's still rolling along.

I bought some at the same time for the motorcycle (they say the chemical's compound is different between a bike and a car), just never added it 'cause sometimes the car goes out of balance. I left the old lead weights on the bike and just painted them to match the rim.

Mack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2009, 8:41 am

Arrow

My R-100RT friend is using Dyna Beads in his new rear tire, not sure of the amount.....but so far so good

I would/will use them next tire change on my K-100 RS

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2009, 8:02 am
Rookie

Dyna Beads

I've had Dyna Beads in my front tire for the last 2000 miles. They work.
Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode