Avon Storm Mileage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 6:12 pm Thread Starter
KKM

Avon Storm Mileage

On my 08 GT I have 3797 miles on a set of Avon Storms. The rear is down to the wear bars from the center out to about two inches up the sides. Very little flat on the bottom. The trailing edge of each groove is feathered bad. .250 strip on the outside unused. All riding oneup in the sierras. Am I having to much fun or are these tires defective. These are the best tires I have found for fast sport riding , No slip , no sliding. I just wish they would last a little longer.

Kevin

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Veteran

Pretty much the same here. Only 4000 miles on them. Those rough surface and windy Sierra Nevada roads take their toll.

Had them on my RT too. About the same story on mileage, maybe even less as they were the AV45/46 series then. Grip at the expense of rubber.

I may try the dual-compound Pilots next. Dunno.

Mack
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM
On my 08 GT I have 3797 miles on a set of Avon Storms. The rear is down to the wear bars from the center out to about two inches up the sides. Very little flat on the bottom. The trailing edge of each groove is feathered bad. .250 strip on the outside unused. All riding oneup in the sierras. Am I having to much fun or are these tires defective. These are the best tires I have found for fast sport riding , No slip , no sliding. I just wish they would last a little longer.

Kevin
I've been using Storms for the last 4 years--3 on my RT and 1 on my GT. In Texas, with the hot chip seal roads, I get just under 5K on the rear and 9K on the front. So in other words about average for other brands I've tried, but the Avons handle better, grip better in the wet and don't flat spot like other brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:09 pm
Addict

Storms were my 4th set. Good grip rain or dry, very predictable-just over 5k. Now on RoadSmarts-same-will be testing rain handling on trip to BC in October, but already have 3k on them and going strong

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 9:54 am Thread Starter
KKM

Well hell , I guess I will just put one more ride on these tires next weekend and than change both front and rear. I looks like thats all I am going to get from these tires. Its to bad you can only get one good trip out of these tires before there are shot. My Nomar is going to be getting a good workout every two months it seems. I guess four sets a year is not all that bad. $1000, and a little of my time. If these tires keep my butt off the pavement than they are well worth it.
Kevin

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 3:47 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM
Well hell , I guess I will just put one more ride on these tires next weekend and than change both front and rear. I looks like thats all I am going to get from these tires. Its to bad you can only get one good trip out of these tires before there are shot. My Nomar is going to be getting a good workout every two months it seems. I guess four sets a year is not all that bad. $1000, and a little of my time. If these tires keep my butt off the pavement than they are well worth it.
Kevin
Agreed. The Storms are the best tire I've ever used on a sport touring bike. Maybe not the highest mileage but so worth it.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2010, 9:23 am
Veteran

I had a pair of Storms. Of all the tires I have ridden, I like them the best. I took them off last April with 7,000 miles on the pair. It was just before a long trip and there was a lot of tread left on front and rear tires. My guess is that there is at least another 2,000 miles left on the rear tire. I tend to ride slabs, not twisties, but love the handling of the Storms in the twisties.

I replaced them with MIchelin Pilot Road 2s, which are my second favorite tires. They were on sale as a price that could not be refused.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode