Anybody using this product ? Opinions ?

http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_mc_sys.htm

- ebill
03 KRS > needs tires ... ah, a while back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:19 am

The answer to your question is no.

Because our mode of transportation only has two tires I don't want to rely on electronics to tell me the tire is low on air pressure. One of the things I do before every ride is check the tire pressure. Once on the road, a casual kick to both tires will tell me if the pressure is still up. In fact, on long road trips, I put the bike on the centerstand to gas up and while it's up there, I rotate the back tire and look for things that might be stuck in the tire and cause problems.

My '04 Acura MDX came with a tire monitor system and it's come in handy two times so far, catching impending flats before they became a big problem along the side of the road. The system works when one tire drops 3 pounds lower than the others.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_hansen
The answer to your question is no.

Because our mode of transportation only has two tires I don't want to rely on electronics to tell me the tire is low on air pressure. One of the things I do before every ride is check the tire pressure. Once on the road, a casual kick to both tires will tell me if the pressure is still up. In fact, on long road trips, I put the bike on the centerstand to gas up and while it's up there, I rotate the back tire and look for things that might be stuck in the tire and cause problems.

My '04 Acura MDX came with a tire monitor system and it's come in handy two times so far, catching impending flats before they became a big problem along the side of the road. The system works when one tire drops 3 pounds lower than the others.
Jay I'm not enough of the techno maven to explain the whys and such, but I'm told that electronic tire pressure measuring systems are inherently more accurate than other systems. Including the well known educated toe. )

That said, Paul Glaves installed the tire pressure measuring system mentioned here. He wrote an article on it in a MOAN this spring. Hope that it makes it to the web site. But as I recall, the installation of this unit was trying. Not something for the inexperienced.

gbm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:33 am

Yes I'm using it on my R11RS and have another system to install on my K12RS soon. It works great and provides much peace of mind. Ever riding along and the pavement gets squirrley and you wonder if you might have a tire going down? Push the button and tire pressure and Temperature are immediately displayed. It polls tire parameters every 8 seconds. It also tells you when you need to add air before the next ride.
I would hate to be without it.

To be polite, I want to respectfully disagree with Jay. Since this is a biker site and you don't always have to be polite, I'm come right out and say that Jay is full of sh*t. Don't take it personally.

cheers,
jerry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_hansen
One of the things I do before every ride is check the tire pressure. Once on the road, a casual kick to both tires will tell me if the pressure is still up. In fact, on long road trips, I put the bike on the centerstand to gas up and while it's up there, I rotate the back tire and look for things that might be stuck in the tire and cause problems.

how do you kick your tires while moving?

Why do you check for road hazards only on long trips? A flat tire will crash you on the way to the hardware store just as bad as it will on a long trip. And you probably ride more total miles on short trips than long trips. Real time monitoring is the way to go and you're working way too hard at resisting. Cheers, jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode