Michelin Road Pilot 3's or 2's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Michelin Road Pilot 3's or 2's

I need to get tires before a week long trip on July 18th - problem is that my dealer is telling me that the RP3's for the rear won't be in the warehouse until the week of July 4th but he has the RP3 front and an RP2 Rear in stock.

Do I wait and hope that someone is doing tires at the MOA rally in PA and they have RP3 rears or just mix and match with what the dealer has to offer??? I'm getting a price of $141 for the RP3 front and $201 for the RP2 rear plus $115 to install them. Sound about right???

Thanks!
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Noob

RP3's

I just put a pair of RP3's on my 07KGT for my trip yesterday from Virginia to Toronto Ontario, Canada they performed beautifully in torrential rain whilst going through Pennsilvania and Buffelo New York. I can't vouch for the RP2's but think the 3's are awesome and may be worth waiting for IMHO. As for the cost of installation sounds close to expected. Cheers

Christ's call is not an invitation to be on the right side; it is an invitation to become the right person. (John Ortberg)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:38 am
Enthusiast

I loved my PR2's & got 20K miles before I replaced them with another set. I found another set for $250 mounted for my K12S. I'll give the PR3's a try in another 20K

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

My bike still has the factory sneakers on and they are Bridgestone. Front tire is cupping badly and rear has maybe 1k miles left - all with 7k on the odometer...

I'm hoping the RP3 rear comes in by the 7/15 otherwise they'll have an RP2 in stock. Looking at the list of vendors attending the BMW MOA rally, I don't recognize any wrench turners there so better to get new sneakers before I go...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 1:51 pm
Noob

I just bought a set of 3s.

Can't believe how much they are charging to put them on. Here if they have to do it all it's $60 and I bring em the wheels and they charge $30 for both. $5 more than last year.

Can't wait to try them on.

Jacques
K1200RS 1998
Honda CB175 1968 long gone
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Addict

I just put about 1300 miles on my 3's, my first set. The PR2's I think I tryed before, were also excellent, lasted about 6k miles. I didn't like the last k or so of riding on the front tire though. Same goes for the Metz M5's, they seem to wear similarly on the front. They'd slide out on a turn from the profile wear.

After aging 5 years from the Z6's I had on the bike for the last 9k+ miles (not sure why, this last set seemed really slick from day one), these 3's are making me relax on the ride again.

I've done a lot of miles in the mountains and so far they are really good on the tar snakes and pretty much everything else I've run into so far. I've run them hard a few times and they just keep on giving. No rain trial yet though.

they do seem to turn in a bit heavier but I'll withhold judgement for a bit.I might be more relaxed on the grips now, LOL.....

I get to try lots of tires, I sure do go through them fast. I need 6k out of a set as a baseline criteria. Otherwise I luved the tires (conti) that came on the K13S.

about 100 bucks for a change is what I pay out west. I think thats fair.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2011, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks for chiming in - I appreciate the info! Hoping that the RP3's get here in time... I was really surprised by the front tire cupping though - no idea what may be causing that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
I just put about 1300 miles on my 3's, my first set. The PR2's I think I tryed before, were also excellent, lasted about 6k miles. I didn't like the last k or so of riding on the front tire though. Same goes for the Metz M5's, they seem to wear similarly on the front. They'd slide out on a turn from the profile wear.

After aging 5 years from the Z6's I had on the bike for the last 9k+ miles (not sure why, this last set seemed really slick from day one), these 3's are making me relax on the ride again.

I've done a lot of miles in the mountains and so far they are really good on the tar snakes and pretty much everything else I've run into so far. I've run them hard a few times and they just keep on giving. No rain trial yet though.

they do seem to turn in a bit heavier but I'll withhold judgement for a bit.I might be more relaxed on the grips now, LOL.....

I get to try lots of tires, I sure do go through them fast. I need 6k out of a set as a baseline criteria. Otherwise I luved the tires (conti) that came on the K13S.

about 100 bucks for a change is what I pay out west. I think thats fair.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2011, 9:07 am
Enthusiast

My 13GT has the factory Metz on it and at 5500 miles the front is cupping and the rear is sliding.

Still trying to decide what kinda boots she is a gonna get. I very seldon tandom so it is just me and bags. I play but am not real aggressive since I have cornerphobia and need to prove nothing to fellow riderz.

Will figure it out one day.

Real Pretty Blue 09KGT
00 REX 1100
01 REX 1200
08 ZX14 Dark Blue Metallic

93 Supercharged Lytnin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2011, 1:34 pm
Addict

Can't say whats good or not on the GT, I've only had the KS.

But, I just rode to MI from AZ last week (2500 miles) on top of a few other trips to NM and TX thru the mountains with the PR3's.

I've got near 6000 miles on them now, so its time to comment.

Good handling in the rain!!

Actually, good handling all around.

But, overall, it does feel like a "heavier" tire. It doesn't fall into the turns like the more aggressive tires but its not bad.

I would recommend folks try these if they are all-weather riders like myself.

Oh yeah, I was also riding in heat, up-to 118 in June already (CA/AZ) and its been hot, doesn't seem to make a diff.

By the way, enough tread left for another K or two easy, not sure what they'll feel like at 8k (Mich's seem to die before they lose all the tread, ie, tires get hard) but will keep you posted.

I do plan to buy these again for the next set. I'm not a big Michelin fan but I have to say, I do believe these may be some of the best tires I've ever run on (I'm a Metz fan, or was).

And that would cover some tires (LOTS of tires), with near 90k on the K1200S, traded in for a 2011 K1300S (27k miles on it) and the RIP'ed K1200LT with 135k on it when it was quickly disassembled by the road, brush and acrobatics from a 70+ to Zero slide, heheh.

I won't count the FZ1 tire miles before beemers, cause I was running bridgestones and Metz (50k miles) and its generally a diff bike.

Whats funny is a couple years ago I was pulled over in the pouring rain, in the desert, at 120 (radar) with Metzlers (probably Z6's or M3's). The K1200S was like a rock on the highway. He let me go, I'm glad he didn't pop me at the 130 I was cruising at, I was wet and cold so I was in a hurry, the hot sun was only 60 miles away

So now I'm like a bit caddy at 80 in the rain/wet roads, I must definitely be getting old-faster instead of riding-faster

one more thing...the PR2's, I was done with them by 6k due to the strange wear pattern you see near the end (very much like the Metz M5 did to me). The PR3's, so far, nada, did I say I really like these tires??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode