tire life for spirited riders - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:05 am Thread Starter
No bogey's twist wrist

tire life for spirited riders

just a recap, Original Metzler Z4 2900 mi. cords showing in the rear wear bars showing in the front, Pirelli Strada's 3500 mi. cords showing in the rear wear bars showing in the front, Continental Road Attacks 4100 mi. cords showing in the rear front had some remaining before wear bars. Avons on now with less than 500 miles. Grip was R.A. best, up until bald rear, Metz Z4 next and lastly Strada's. Only noticeable thing on all the sets were Road Attacks wore the front so handlebar would flutter if you coasted down from 35mph without hands on the grips. Not totally uncontrollable just a little unnerving. May try Bridgestone next or Z6's All tires with a 225lb rider at speeds in excess of posted limits frequently, 1/4 inch chicken strips.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:13 am
Enthusiast

Pilot Powers

I have 4,200 miles on the Pilot Powers, and it looks like I've still got a few hundred miles before I hit the wear bars.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 2:07 pm

Thumbs up Powers @ 2000 mi

New Pilot Powers on for the DGR. Rode hard, two-up for 4 days, 2000 miles. Rear shot, waiting for a new one. Front pretty good actually, no noticable cupping. Much better wear than the previous Dunlop 208's. 2 rears went completely in 1000 miles each, to complete slicks, no grooves whatsoever. They stuck great though, maybe better even than the Powers, which are pretty good. Gonna go with another and try to use up the front as a set, then might try something else. The Texas boys think the Avons are the shizzle, might be worth a try.

Pete Eshleman
Proud father of SquidlyKid
2006 K1200S
2000 SV650 race bike
1999 XR650R sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2005, 7:23 pm
Enthusiast

Smile Long Life Tires

on my 02 k1200rs had 9000 miles on a set of z6's put new on at that time i was off on the ss1000 then to motogp at laguna seca.have 8500 miles on my 99 r1100s riding in malibu mt back roads of calif both north and south,good tires for my bikes and style

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 8:41 am

Tires.......

My new (4800 miles) K12GT has original "Battlax" tires. They are shot. At medium speeds I can momentarilly let go of steering and she starts "wobbling" from "scalloped" front tire. I ride rather hard, and sure my size contributed to rear tire wear. Next up
Metzeler Z'6's after exstnsive research.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:48 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up 3700 on my Avons

I've been pushing this set very hard for the last 2000 miles on Texas chip sealed roads and they may have another 1000 in them, but more like 600-800. The Avons are just great tires --I really have no reason to try anything else at this point.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:53 pm

Thumbs up Try Z6

Give the z6 a try, they are my favorite. One thing to consider when receiving advice is that riding styles and road surfaces have a lot to do with the wear of a tire.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
I've been pushing this set very hard for the last 2000 miles on Texas chip sealed roads and they may have another 1000 in them, but more like 600-800. The Avons are just great tires --I really have no reason to try anything else at this point.
Avons are my favorites...
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:25 pm

Garage
Metzeler Z'6's are getting it done with me - great mileage - the best i've gotten actually - and the handling is enough that i'm just about nipping at the Metzeler elephants head - previously used Z4s ok, Dunlop 220s
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:49 pm

Thumbs up Bridgestone Battlax 56

Just turned 8400 on my 03 KRS (red of course) on the original Battlax 56Rs. They were great. The cords just started showing. I think I will try the Z6s or the last of the D205s. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am a street rider looking for a good all around tire that will perform in the rain (safety) and when I occasionally romp on it. I would like to get at least as many miles out of my next set.

Rabidgoldfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode