Tire balancing - How many weights? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Question Tire balancing - How many weights?

I just put a new Z6 on my Gt, and used a Marc Parnes balancer. I checked the balance of the rim, then got the new tire on and checked the balance again. It sure seems to need alot of weight to balance out. Is there a rule of thumb about too many weights? Should I pop it loose and rotate the tire on the rim some more to help minimize the weights? The original didn't even have a single weight. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

By the way, that would be the rear tire. I have the front to put on also.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy

Last edited by samsdad57; Mar 22nd, 2006 at 10:16 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:28 am
Veteran

Well.. I'm no expert but...

There should be a red dot somewhere on the tire that you are supposed to place opposite the valve stem... I'll assume you did this? That dot is there for a reason..

Define too much weight? I usually use between 1/4 up to 2.5oz...Haven't needed any more than that. How much weight do you think you'll need?

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Hello Pirate

Using the balancer/instructions I got from you, the heavy spot on the tire is almost 180dgs from the valve stem. I put the two marks on the tire at the heavy spot of the rim. It takes 2oz to balance (8 1/4oz weights). It just looks too damn ugly. Maybe a larger single weight would be better.

And yes, I would consider you more of an expert on these bikes than me.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:25 pm
Veteran

No.. No.. I'm no expert .. I only play one on the internet.. ;-) Didn't mount my first tire until a year ago...However.. I always put those red marks dead-on the valve stem...without exception

and when I absolutely MUST use that much wieght..(which is a pisser).. I paint them to match the wheels... Mongo say.. "Ugly is baaaad... painted weights good"

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad57
Hello Pirate

Using the balancer/instructions I got from you, the heavy spot on the tire is almost 180dgs from the valve stem. I put the two marks on the tire at the heavy spot of the rim. It takes 2oz to balance (8 1/4oz weights). It just looks too damn ugly. Maybe a larger single weight would be better.

And yes, I would consider you more of an expert on these bikes than me.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:02 pm

Thumbs up Try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad57
Should I pop it loose and rotate the tire on the rim some more to help minimize the weights?
My dealer treats me pretty good… I asked "try the rotate the tire on the rim process" to see if weights needed would change. After three trys[sp?] the mounted tire didn't need any weights AT ALL ! YMMV.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Well I shifted the tire on the wheel a little bit, and got the weight down 1-1 1/4 oz. It also moved the spot on the wheel so the weights can go in the center of the rim. They were right at a spoke before, and it just didn't sit well with me. Now I get to do the front. Yeehaw.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:01 am
Rookie

Balancing tires

According to the instructions from Marc Parnes, I find the heaviest part of the bare rim and mark it with three center punch marks. Mount the tire with the red mark, which is the lightest portion of the tire, lined up with the punch marks,which is the heaviest portion of the rim. I've only mounted five tires since buying the Nomar tire changer and Marc Parnes balancer. One took one half 1/4 oz wt.,two took one 1/4 oz wts. each, one took two 1/4 oz wts, and one took four 1/4 oz wts. I ignored where the valve stem was located, didn't know it was a factor. I still don't think it is a factor. It makes sense to me to line up the heavy part of the rim with the lightest part of the tire. If you dont know the heaviest part of the rim how can you assume the valve stem is at the heaviest part of the rim? -----I just checked the three rims that I had punch marked and the valve stem is fairly close on all three, within ten inches anyway. So i guess if you don't know the exact location of the heaviest portion of the rim, locating the red dot at the valve stem would work better than ignoring its position entirely. The always scantily clad Jerry is smarter than he looks!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Rookie

I've mounted a number tires on different bikes. I've never seen a rim where the valve stem was the heaviest part of the rim. Its usually one of the spokes. That said, the way I do it is find the heavy spot on rim, mark the rim. I use white out. I then balance the rim without the tire. I then put the tire on the rim without inflating it. I find the heavy spot, which is the heavy spot on the tire. I position the heavy spot on the rim opposite the heavy spot on the tire. I remove the weight I used to balance the rim. I inflate the tire, I then balance the whole assembly. I rarely use more then an oz. to balance the tire.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2006, 8:36 am

Hi Guys,
The rule that says the spot with the tire stem should be the heaviest on the wheel comes from the days when we only had spoked wheels. With today's cast wheels it no longer applies. The heavy spot on cast wheels is rarely at the stem other than by coincidence in my experience. You can even check the same model wheels on different bikes and find the heavy spot in different places. BMW cast wheels are really one of the best as far as how balanced they are. The consistantly worst I've seen is on FJRs. The rear can take as much as 7-8 1/4oz. segments to get it right. Talk about an ugly wad of lead, yuck!

Last edited by MarcParnes; Apr 19th, 2006 at 8:43 am.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Tire weights

Use Ceramic Balance Beads then you wont need any external weights or need to rebalance them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode