What is the biggest front tire anyone has used? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:26 am Thread Starter

What is the biggest front tire anyone has used?

I've been running 120/70 and 120/60, but wonder how big of a tire will fit under that little fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2006, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

I asked this question because I found a new 120/90 ChengShin C822 Marquis for $10. It doesn't fit under the fender - but I pulled the front fender off and it barely fits. I've got about 3,500 miles on it now and it looks like it will go 10K. It's a bit slick compared to the other front tires that I've run, but the roads are dry now and it will be OK. I'm pretty happy with the price per mile, so I might burn up another one of these berfore the fall rains start.

I was running a Kenda K671 150/70 on the rear, with it, but I had a tire failure at 10K. The Kenda was wearing really well and it looked like it would go 14K to 15K before hitting wear bars... I e-mailed the Kenda people and they are sending me another one free. Yea Team! The K671 is a six ply and should easily handle the weight of my K1200RS.

Right now I'm running a Metzler 160/70VB ME55A on the rear. It seems to run well, but I only have 1,500 miles on it so it's too early to project tire life. The only significant difference that I've noticed is that between the oversized front and oversized rear tire, the tires rest lightly on the ground when I'm on center stand, and give the bike just a little more tilt on side stand. That's good.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2006, 5:43 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

What bike are you running these oddball tires on.??

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Addict

Why would you want a bigger front tire, especially that piece of junk?

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:59 am Thread Starter

"... should easily handle the weight of my K1200RS."

After the first set of tires wore out, I used a Dunlop D208 and then a Metzler Z4 on the front, and got about 3K and 6K respectively, so the ChengShin is wearing as good as they did combined. That's pretty good. I wish I could buy tires that would last like car tires - but I can't, so I try to get the best deal per mile that I can.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:31 am
Rookie

I'd think you'd want a cheap crappy bike to go with those cheap crappy tires!

(shrug) To each their own - it just seems odd to me to be that cost-conscious about as critical a component as tires on a vehicle as expensive to maintain as a KRS. FWIW, I get about 50 miles out of a set of DOT competition radials while autocrossing.

KeS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 5:08 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeshawn
"... should easily handle the weight of my K1200RS."

After the first set of tires wore out, I used a Dunlop D208 and then a Metzler Z4 on the front, and got about 3K and 6K respectively, so the ChengShin is wearing as good as they did combined. That's pretty good. I wish I could buy tires that would last like car tires - but I can't, so I try to get the best deal per mile that I can.
Yeah, I saw that. Just couldn't believe my eyes. :wtf

You really "running a Metzler 160/70VB ME55A on the rear."?? On a rim designed for a 170?

A bias tire at that ??

Nope. just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:03 am Thread Starter

hmmmm

Well, I guess I'm just doing my part to keep up the tradition of Beemer pilots being dorks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode