Avon Storms? Anyone tried them yet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Avon Storms? Anyone tried them yet?

Has anyone tried the new Avon Storm tires yet? The Avon site states that it is the replacement for the 45/46 Azaros. I've been riding on the Azaros for a few years now and really like them.

Here is what is on their site (http://www.avon-motorcycle.com/):

Motorcycle Tyres: Sport Touring
Storm-ST

The long-lasting, all-weather, high performance sports touring tyre.

* Incorporates the very latest bike tyre technology 'Reactive Footprint'. The tyres contact patch changes size and shape depending on lean angle - for the life of the tyre
* Unique construction means excellent performance combined with very long life
* 'Super-Rich Silica' rubber compound gives superb wet road grip
* Front tread pattern optimised for shorter stopping distances in the wet
* Excellent stability and handling whatever the lean angle

The Storm-ST replaces Avon's Azaro-ST and builds on its predecessor's talents. Employing what's called 'Reactive Footprint' (RF) technology, the Storm-ST produces a footprint that changes size and shape depending on the bike's lean angle, growing in size the further over the bike goes. It means you get high grip through the corners yet in a straight line have a footprint which increases the Storm-STs lifespan. Avon's RF Technology is a quantum leap in technology from the dual compound tread, and will provide unparalleled evenness in wear patterns.

The wet weather performance of the Storm-ST is outstanding, thanks in part to the tyre's Super-Rich Silica (SRS) compound. The extremely high silica content delivers optimum grip in the wet and dry. It also has the added benefit of warming up quickly.

On the front tyres, the Storm-ST benefits from Inverted Front Grooves (IFG) that resist stepped-wear and cupping, ensuring smooth handling for the life of the tyre and improving wet weather braking. The Enhanced Aqua Flow (EAF) pattern of the rear tyre also increases your safety and confidence in wet conditions.

With all this (together with many other unique-to-Avon technologies) it's no wonder the Storm-ST has gained numerous approvals from the tough German testing organisation, the TUV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 9:20 am

Just put some on my GT. I only have about 400 miles on them running them at 40 psi front and back for now to see how they run. I had the original Metzlers on it before I made the swap and they were trashed. The front had a bad flat area on the left side due to the Pull To The Right issue some of our bikes have. I like the Storms. They track good, are quite and stop great at full braking. The bikes rails a turn to the left and right. Very nuetral when turning. The rear tire has a rather narrow contact patch when traveling straight but the patch increases a good bit when leaned over. This narrow rear patch helps the bike almost fall into a turn. A buddy has the Azaros and I liked them when he put them on his bike. I like the Storms even more. They have really good wet tire bite in the rain. I was considering the Conti's but hear too much controversy about the compound C tires and the stiffer bead making it difficult to mount on the rim for some people. I may try those when the Storms play out.

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 5:11 pm
Enthusiast

storms

we just git back from a 4000 mile ride up to Kalispell Montana, then back to Yellowstone,south to Paonia Colorado for (Top O' the Rockies Rally) and home,all with Avon Storms they have about 6000 miles on them now, wet weather performance was as good as the Z6's,wear is ok,center of the rear tire is flat ,hope riding back in the mt's of malibu will round it off.at this point they are no better than the Z6's,my last Z6's went 10000mile doing peaks of america last year. by the way must of the ride was two up.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 7:11 pm
"DELIVERS"

Luv 'em....5000 miles so far....not flattening like others I've tried.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 6:46 pm

I replaced my Avon 45/46 combo ( I liked the 45 front ) with a set of Storms. The rear Storm is a decent tire. It lasted 8400 miles. The front Storm wore oddly and caused a wobble in the handle bars at low speed ( front tire replaced after 3200 miles ).

My neighbor also has an old style GT with odd wear on the front Storm. SW Mototires website does not recommend the 120/70ZR/17 front.

K Rider
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 7:16 pm

Talking Avon Storms

I put a set on my 2003 K1200RS and have about 1K miles on them so far. I love the way my K Bike handles with them on, and was a huge improvement over my old (worn out) Metzlers.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 7:10 pm
"DELIVERS"

10,000 miles so far....not hitting the wear indicators yet!....will probably replace them next month before the rainy season starts....I'm staying with the Storms...they handle better than Metzeler, Michelin and Bridgstone IMO.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 7:34 pm

Avon Storms

I have them on one of my two VFR's. It's the only "sport touring" tire I haven't been able to spin coming out of a curve on any bike. They're wearing very well so far.

Not sure I want to put them on my K1200R. It has M3's on it right now and they perform fantastically, so not in a mood to switch. I can raise the front end of the K bike with M3's coming out of a curve in 2nd gear without sliding.

As for the Storms for touring, definitely yes. They turn in easier on the VFR than any other sport touring tire I've tried (about all of them) and the wear looks like it will out-last them all. The same should apply to any bike, IMHO. FWIW.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Addendum: I've been reading about a lot of people have a front end wobble with Avon Storms. One poster here has the problem. I haven't had the problem.

SW Mototire has a phrase beside the front 120/70x17 Storm that says "not recommended by SW Mototire". I emailed as to why and Blaine (owner) replied that he was getting too many front tire returns due to wobble and that he was getting tired of being blamed for it. FWIW.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 10:44 am

I have the Azaro on the front and the Storm on the back. I wanted to try Avon's and this is all the dealer had. He assured me they were compatible. No problem. I phoned and spoke to the Avon rep. - he concurred - no problem.
I am going to have them replaced this weekend with less than 5,000 miles. The front has wobbled since it was put on. I had it re-mounted and rebalanced once.
The rear is worn out down the center - worn to the wear inndicators.
I have had the original's (can't remember what they were) , then Metz Z-6's, then these Avon's. Bike only has 16,000 miles on it. I basically ride it hard 2 weeks per year and very little anytime else.
What should I try next?

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode