Metzler Z6 on the KS? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Metzler Z6 on the KS?

Tires again? Sorry folks. I ran a few forum searches but didn't get the info I'm looking for.

I'm due for new tires (AGAIN!). I've been using the Pilot Power's which I think are fantastic for this bike but, I am considering the Metzler Z6's this time. I've never run that tire before however, if I can get a little more longevity and still have good grip, it may be worth a try.

Has or is, anyone currently using the Metzler Z6's on their K1200S (or K1200R with the 190 rear)? Has anyone run both the PP and the Z6 on the KS for comparison? What are your opinions?

I have enough and experiences with the others (i.e. Road Attacks, M1, M3, and BT 020 and 014 tires) to know I prefer the Pilot Power over those on this bike. I'm really looking for reviews and opinions related to the Metzler Z6 on the KS.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2007, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Normally I'd think the lack of replies means nobody has tried the Z6 on the KS. However, considering that the question has been posted for 5 days and only 47 have actually viewed the thread, it makes me wonder, why so few have viewed the thread.

With that in mind, it appears to me that once a thread falls off the "new posts" page, few people dig into the individual forums to see what's been posted recently or that they may have missed. Of course that's just one theory of mine.

Anyway, I'm still hoping to get some opinions on the Z6/KS combo and or Z6 vs PP question.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2007, 4:06 pm
Enthusiast

Mark, I don't know if the Z6 has been approved for the K1200S or K1200R yet. Does the manufacturer list them for the bike?

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2007, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
Mark, I don't know if the Z6 has been approved for the K1200S or K1200R yet. Does the manufacturer list them for the bike?
Good question. I don't know. Metzelers' web site only lists the M-1 for fitment to the K12S. I'm pretty sure the M-3 is approved for the K12S so either they haven't updated their website or their trying to clear out all the old M-1's
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
Tires again? Sorry folks. I ran a few forum searches but didn't get the info I'm looking for.

I'm due for new tires (AGAIN!). I've been using the Pilot Power's which I think are fantastic for this bike but, I am considering the Metzler Z6's this time. I've never run that tire before however, if I can get a little more longevity and still have good grip, it may be worth a try.

Has or is, anyone currently using the Metzler Z6's on their K1200S (or K1200R with the 190 rear)? Has anyone run both the PP and the Z6 on the KS for comparison? What are your opinions?

I have enough and experiences with the others (i.e. Road Attacks, M1, M3, and BT 020 and 014 tires) to know I prefer the Pilot Power over those on this bike. I'm really looking for reviews and opinions related to the Metzler Z6 on the KS.

Thank you.
I've been through three sets of Z6's on two other "power" bikes and they absolutely suck for me. Go to Pilot Roads if you want that type of tire.

I LIVE in the twisties and the Z6 wears flat in the center and flat on both sides in spite of most of my riding being in the twisties. In essence, you end up with a three sided tire that doesn't corner worth a flip as it wears in the manner stated above. The fronts also cup badly. It's beyond me why they're so popular. Just a free experienced based opinion.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
I've been through three sets of Z6's on two other "power" bikes and they absolutely suck for me. Go to Pilot Roads if you want that type of tire.
Apparently there's no reason to switch my opinion that there's still nothing that beats Pilot Power for overall performance on the K1200S. Another new set of PP's will be spooned on this week.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 9:07 am
Addict

I need tires to last a bit longer.

Last set, I had them put a Z6 on the rear, an M1 on the front.

I can't attest to the wear patterns yet cause I've only got a couple thou on them.

However, I like the handling and they are super smooth on the high speed slabs, seem to grip well on the sweepers, etc.

The wear pattern comment is interesting and although I'm surrounded by twisties, I'm usually doing those 2 up on the LTC...doh! I'm trying to fix that but one ride on the S and the SO said never again, heheh....

I'll keep ya'll posted on the wear. I'm getting ready to drill the holes in my garage floor to install the nomar jr pro tirechanger I bought, so buying/trying different tires will not be nearly as much a problem with this setup in the garage. What a nice machine, if it works half as good as it looks, I'm in biz...NW Phoenix area if anyone gets desparate, I need another wkend home to get it installed though. Also need to buy the pitbulls for the S yet.

regards....geo
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2007, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
I need tires to last a bit longer.

Last set, I had them put a Z6 on the rear, an M1 on the front.

I can't attest to the wear patterns yet cause I've only got a couple thou on them.

However, I like the handling and they are super smooth on the high speed slabs, seem to grip well on the sweepers, etc.

The wear pattern comment is interesting and although I'm surrounded by twisties, I'm usually doing those 2 up on the LTC...doh! I'm trying to fix that but one ride on the S and the SO said never again, heheh....

I'll keep ya'll posted on the wear. I'm getting ready to drill the holes in my garage floor to install the nomar jr pro tirechanger I bought, so buying/trying different tires will not be nearly as much a problem with this setup in the garage. What a nice machine, if it works half as good as it looks, I'm in biz...NW Phoenix area if anyone gets desparate, I need another wkend home to get it installed though. Also need to buy the pitbulls for the S yet.

regards....geo
They may last longer for you but they would wear out on my bike just as fast as an M3 or PPower. The only difference is, they would have my rear end sliding all over the road powering out of turns and maybe the front sliding going into turns....bad scenario. Eventually, that would lead to me ending up in the woods. Not a place I want to go.

We all ride different though, so good luck with whatever you put on the wheels.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:22 am
Addict

Ok, update ya'll...on the Z6 (on my 06, K12S)

I have another set waiting at home (in phoenix) that need installed this wekend.

I still have some tread on the Z6's I have on now, but they do get a little slick near the end so off they come. And they won't make another trip.

I was tempted to go with the M3's again, but I really need to get some miles.

I think these lasted about 7k, can't remember when I put them on but I'll see if I can find the info to get more specific.

I ride high speed mostly (hi-way, sweepers, etc), commute 1k miles/week.

They do really well in the rain (rode heavy rain at 130 before, solid as a rock) and overall I've been pretty impressed. No, they are not track tires but do real well on the street.

With the tread down some, when gassing the bike to get the front wheel up, the tire spins instead now, heheh....that doesn't wheellie make me happy but hey, i got my miles out of them!

Still thinkin about those pilots after reading some of that too, maybe next time, which won't be long
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:15 am
Rookie

Ran z6s on an R1100R

I have had good luck with the Z-6s on my 01 R1100R. Got 7k ot of the rear in the Florida summer, and 10k miles in the winter. I'll let you know soon. I'm mounting a set of Z6's today on my new to me 06 K1200R. Bridgestone Battleaxes seem to have lasted about 3k.
I commute about 600 miles a week between Ft Lauderdale and Tampa, so I'll have some milage soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode