Z6 blow out - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 1:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Z6 blow out

First time this has ever happen to me, two up, just cross the border into Nevada. Front end started to bounce. Pulled over, and looked at the front end. Holy shit! My front tire looked like the Elephant Man. I was in a bad spot so I figured I would go to the next exit. No go, the wheel had expanded so much that it jammed against the fender. I had to take off the fender and deflate the tire so that it wouldn't rub against the mounting brackets for the fender. Anyway, had to trailer the bike home, reinflated the tire for picture taking, but by the time I started to take the picture it blew so all I can show you guys is where the tire split apart, right down the middle. I sent the tire back to Mez. I have not heard from them. Oh yea, under 9k miles on tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z6 Front tire.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	387  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 1:56 pm

Your very fortunate, that one could of hurt both of you in a Big way.
How many miles did you have on it?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 5:06 pm

Exclamation Z6 blew at 9k miles whatta u think.........

9k miles & the Z6 blew.. what were you expecting to get 40,000 miles??? By the looks of the rest of the tread, it was long overdue. That tyre is designed to give you 6-8k miles at best.....why push it into oblivion?
I'll bet it gave you plenty of stick until you way overdid it.
This is a "SPORT PERFORMANCE" tyre. It did its job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:01 pm
Looking for better limits...

Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I get 10k miles on Z6's just as the tread bars are indicating it's time to move on. Pilot Roads were the same way. Sportec M1's were less than that, giving up the ghost at 6k. But, that wasn't surprising, considering what the tire is designed for.

I wouldn't expect any compensation from the tire company at 9k, but I think it'd be worthwhile for both the manufacturer and the consumer to know what really happened.

As always, my 2˘ worth...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:17 pm

9K and 10K on tires?

I must be doing something wrong!

I got 5K on my Z6s and the rear tire was showing the belts!

I now have almost 13K on the bike and have had:

The original Z4s - nail at 2,200 (never liked them anyway)
Z6s - 5,200 (Belts showing - last 200 were DANGEROUS, front marginal)
Powers - 3,600 (both shot)
Avons - 2,000 (still look new)

This involves about 1/3 of the miles slabbing to get to/from the twisties.

Randy
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 2:10 am

9K on Tires........?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemertoni
9k miles & the Z6 blew.. what were you expecting to get 40,000 miles??? By the looks of the rest of the tread, it was long overdue. That tyre is designed to give you 6-8k miles at best.....why push it into oblivion?
I'll bet it gave you plenty of stick until you way overdid it.
This is a "SPORT PERFORMANCE" tyre. It did its job.
I agree, 9K on a set of tires is pushing it. I am about to put on my new Z'6's I got today
(SouthWest Moto tires, $221.90, delivered to my door in 1 week, Arizona to upstate N.Y.)
and my original BattLax's are shot at 5,200 miles. I push it hard, and am a big guy, but always triple check my pressure(s) almost every 3-4 days. I am awaiting my "Harbor Freight" tire changer (w/motorcycle attachment) , and my buddy has a Mark Parnes? balancer. After some helpful hints from this site, and the old one, I should be ready to roll in a few days.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 8:51 pm

Not sure how some of you guys do it. This is 4,600 on my Z6B. If I could get 9,000, I'd never change.

Anyway, the Z6 is still the best combination of grip/mileage I've found-I'm on my 3rd set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z6-B tire wear 002b.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	408  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:40 am

Exclamation Plumb wore out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue98k12
First time this has ever happen to me, two up, just cross the border into Nevada. Front end started to bounce. Pulled over, and looked at the front end. Holy shit! My front tire looked like the Elephant Man. I was in a bad spot so I figured I would go to the next exit. No go, the wheel had expanded so much that it jammed against the fender. I had to take off the fender and deflate the tire so that it wouldn't rub against the mounting brackets for the fender. Anyway, had to trailer the bike home, reinflated the tire for picture taking, but by the time I started to take the picture it blew so all I can show you guys is where the tire split apart, right down the middle. I sent the tire back to Mez. I have not heard from them. Oh yea, under 9k miles on tire.
That baby is plumb wore out. It should have been changed long ago. I change mine at 5,000 miles at the most. I'm on my 5th set of Z6.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 1:31 pm

I don't know why people run there tires for so long ,,, IT'S DAMN CRAZY !! Is it some sort of test ??? Is it a way to say " I get more than you " What is it ??
You only have a contact patch of about the size of a coffee cup . Its plain stupid to push a tire
beyond its SAFE limits ,,,,, there's only TWO coffee cup patches on the road people !!!! Judging buy all these tire threads . It seems like some BMW riders are cheap !!!! And a thread like this proves it !!!! 9000 miles !!!!! On a front no-less !!! STUPID !!!
You say you check tire pressure ???? Do you look at the f-ing tread ??? You sent a pic to who for what ,,, look how dumb I am ,, I let my tire get so low on tread life that I allmost killed myself !! I bet you would sue Dunkin Donuts if you spilled Hot coffee in your lap after you went over a bump in your SUV ????
Flame away ,,,, My name is Steven Brunelle !

Last edited by sbk12rs; Nov 2nd, 2005 at 1:37 pm.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:40 pm
"Hey Y'all"

Thumbs down Caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk12rs
I don't know why people run there tires for so long ,,, IT'S DAMN CRAZY !! Is it some sort of test ??? Is it a way to say " I get more than you " What is it ??
You only have a contact patch of about the size of a coffee cup . Its plain stupid to push a tire
beyond its SAFE limits ,,,,, there's only TWO coffee cup patches on the road people !!!! Judging buy all these tire threads . It seems like some BMW riders are cheap !!!! And a thread like this proves it !!!! 9000 miles !!!!! On a front no-less !!! STUPID !!!
You say you check tire pressure ???? Do you look at the f-ing tread ??? You sent a pic to who for what ,,, look how dumb I am ,, I let my tire get so low on tread life that I allmost killed myself !! I bet you would sue Dunkin Donuts if you spilled Hot coffee in your lap after you went over a bump in your SUV ????
Flame away ,,,, My name is Steven Brunelle !
Dang Steve, no flame, but a question if I may. You mention "coffee" three times, but I'm sure you had many more cups than that.

Yes, 9k is stupid. For me. Apparently for you. But NOT for everyone. I won't run Z6's. No matter how good they are, it takes too much effort to tell how much tire is remaining. That doesn't mean I think everyone else running them is "stupid".

Oh yeah, my question. Could you please just try some decaffe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode