BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Passenger Backrest

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JoeApex 
#1 ·
Hi Gang,

Anyone have any experience with a passenger backrest on the K1200GT? My wife is tired of knocking heads and battling the wind.

I'm looking for a bolt on solution that does not require a seat replacement. BakUp appears to make one but they don't have any pics available. Am working on that with them.

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 ·
That is an interesting comment from your wife about the wind since that's what mine said about riding on my futura and one of the reasons I was lurking here seeing what you guys say about the KGT. Do you have it all the way up and she still feels too much wind? How is the passenger part of that seat? Did you do a search because there are several threads about rests

#4 · (Edited)
GTJeff said:
Hi Gang,

Anyone have any experience with a passenger backrest on the K1200GT? My wife is tired of knocking heads and battling the wind.

I'm looking for a bolt on solution that does not require a seat replacement. BakUp appears to make one but they don't have any pics available. Am working on that with them.

Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff are you running a topcase and are looking for a pad or are you just wanting a backrest?
I'll be running two up as well but I ordered the large topcase and was looking into fitting a large pad for the wife on that.
-

#5 ·
The large 49 liter top case comes with a back pad built in. The 28 liter trunk doesn't, but BMW will sell you one for a small additional charge . . .

#6 ·
We have the large soft bag on the rack. I looked at the top box but it didn't suit my needs. It is OK as a backrest when full but isn't the perfect solution.

Ruth is OK with the passenger seat but I'll be doing something different with the riders seat. I ride 65 miles of straight interstate to work. The long straight road combined with that seat is hell. I couldn't imagine riding cross country on it.

I've thought about a different shield. The posts about the CalSci unit look promising. Will be going to a couple of rallys this summer and hope to talk to other riders with different setups. Hope to see some of you out there.

Thanks.,
Jeff

G
#8 ·
I put a +2" Cee Bailey on my 07', and it made a world of difference for myself and my passenger. I'm 6'0" and she's 5'8".
I'd like to see a picture of that "Bakup" thing, if somebody could post one.
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.